Watch
This discussion is closed.
skinnygurl36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi Hi

I've had to take a year out from University since I have schizophrenia.

When I return to University, I will apply for DSA.

I'm curious to know how much, and what, people get.

I really could do with accomodation monies.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You won't be given a cash lump sum. You'll be supplied with extra equipment and may be given facilities like extra time for exams and assignments. You might get something like a book or photocopying allowance, and possibly extra travelling expenses if you can't use public transport or walk to and from uni. However I understand that you have to submit receipts for these, so you will only get back what you spend.

You'll have an individual assessment from a DSA Advisor. You'll have a chance to explain how your problems impact your ability to study, and they'll recommend funding for things which will make your life easier.
NJones
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Klix88)
You won't be given a cash lump sum. You'll be supplied with extra equipment and may be given facilities like extra time for exams and assignments. You might get something like a book or photocopying allowance, and possibly extra travelling expenses if you can't use public transport or walk to and from uni. However I understand that you have to submit receipts for these, so you will only get back what you spend.

You'll have an individual assessment from a DSA Advisor. You'll have a chance to explain how your problems impact your ability to study, and they'll recommend funding for things which will make your life easier.
Need to be careful with this- you will only get back what the funding body agree to repay, as per limits in the report. Transport is the cost of taxi's minus cost of public transport. Books need to be endorsed as not on core reading list etc. Receipts should be itemised. SFE are getting very particular as to what they pay back.
skinnygurl36
Rep:
?
(Original post by NJones)
Need to be careful with this- you will only get back what the funding body agree to repay, as per limits in the report. Transport is the cost of taxi's minus cost of public transport. Books need to be endorsed as not on core reading list etc. Receipts should be itemised. SFE are getting very particular as to what they pay back.
Can you get money for accommodation?
NJones
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by skinnygurl36)
Can you get money for accommodation?
Only for the additional cost of an en-suite room (standard room cost deducted) if you have a disability which requires you to have easy access to bathroom facilities such as, perhaps, Crohns disease.
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NJones)
Sorry, yes, I should've been more specific.

You will only get back what you spend, for expenses which have been agreed in advance by your DSA assessment, within the limits and criteria set by that agreement.
skinnygurl36
Rep:
?
What did you get from the DSA?
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What did you get from the DSA?
I have physical problems with handwriting. DSA provided a laptop, a printer, a carrying trolley, an allowance to buy books (not core texts), a photocopying allowance, little bits of equipment to make lecture note taking and reading easier, and use of a PC for exams (that was provided by the uni, but they'd only provide it if I qualified for DSA).

I was never given any money.
Georg Hegel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also, the paperwork for DSA can be complicated and it takes a long time to have it processed. You have to provide medical documents and then have an assessment, that assessment is then checked by SFE. I would recommend applying asap.
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Hi

I've had to take a year out from University since I have schizophrenia.

When I return to University, I will apply for DSA.

I'm curious to know how much, and what, people get.

I really could do with accomodation monies.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Hey OP.

I'd definitely apply for DSA, as it can be a real help with getting back into studying (I took two years out for depression). The most useful thing I got was funding to see a study coach, who was an absolute lifesaver. I also got a printer/scanner/photocopier + ink/paper allowance, mind mapping software (really useful for planning essays), and possibly one or two other things I can't remember.

Definitely don't be put off from applying - the process is actually really simple compared to the likes of ESA or DLA, and your Disability Support Office should be able to help to a large extent.

AFAIK this is the case for SFE, however SAAS (Scottish equivalent) does give money up front for stuff like printer ink, paper etc. I believe I got around £100. I don't know about the other funding bodies however.
skinnygurl36
Rep:
?
(Original post by superwolf)
Hey OP.

I'd definitely apply for DSA, as it can be a real help with getting back into studying (I took two years out for depression). The most useful thing I got was funding to see a study coach, who was an absolute lifesaver. I also got a printer/scanner/photocopier + ink/paper allowance, mind mapping software (really useful for planning essays), and possibly one or two other things I can't remember.

Definitely don't be put off from applying - the process is actually really simple compared to the likes of ESA or DLA, and your Disability Support Office should be able to help to a large extent.

AFAIK this is the case for SFE, however SAAS (Scottish equivalent) does give money up front for stuff like printer ink, paper etc. I believe I got around £100. I don't know about the other funding bodies however.

Hi Hi

Did you not get a laptop?
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Hi

Did you not get a laptop?
Nah - a) I had a (slightly crappy) one already and b) I was in final year already and they're cutting down on actual giving of laptops, especially to people finishing soon, so I would probably have got one on loan instead. So me and the assessor decided it wasn't worth applying for one.
skinnygurl36
Rep:
?
(Original post by superwolf)
Nah - a) I had a (slightly crappy) one already and b) I was in final year already and they're cutting down on actual giving of laptops, especially to people finishing soon, so I would probably have got one on loan instead. So me and the assessor decided it wasn't worth applying for one.
Do you think I will get one? I'm going into my second year and don't have a laptop.
skinnygurl36
Rep:
?
I have physical problems with handwriting. DSA provided a laptop, a printer, a carrying trolley, an allowance to buy books (not core texts), a photocopying allowance, little bits of equipment to make lecture note taking and reading easier, and use of a PC for exams (that was provided by the uni, but they'd only provide it if I qualified for DSA).

I was never given any money.
Did you get a mentor?

I wanted to ask, can you get a tutor?
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you think I will get one? I'm going into my second year and don't have a laptop.
No idea I'm afraid, will depend on how much justification you have for needing one I expect.
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did you get a mentor?

I wanted to ask, can you get a tutor?
Because my disability was purely physical, I didn't need either a mentor or a tutor. My contacts at the uni were the Student Support department, who were very helpful. At least, once I'd been awarded DSA - they pretty much refused to have anything to do with me until I'd had an assessment.

However individual support is available at my uni for those who need it, and costs are usually covered by DSA. I don't know if that extends to a mentor or individual tutor. What you can get will depend on how your needs are assessed.
sophieeee15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because my disability was purely physical, I didn't need either a mentor or a tutor. My contacts at the uni were the Student Support department, who were very helpful. At least, once I'd been awarded DSA - they pretty much refused to have anything to do with me until I'd had an assessment.

However individual support is available at my uni for those who need it, and costs are usually covered by DSA. I don't know if that extends to a mentor or individual tutor. What you can get will depend on how your needs are assessed.
Hi i have dyselixa but would i be eligiable for that ive got a place at wolv uni october 2015. im from birmingham so would i get free transport as i suffer from seizuers aswell
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sophieeee15)
Hi i have dyselixa but would i be eligiable for that ive got a place at wolv uni october 2015. im from birmingham so would i get free transport as i suffer from seizuers aswell
You'd need to go through the DSA assessment to be sure of what you might get. The details will depend on your individual issues and circumstances.

I doubt that you'd get free transport under any circumstances. The guideline up to now has been that the "standard" method of transport (I'm guessing train for you) and the alternative would both be costed and you would be awarded the price difference (in the form of invoice reimbursement). You would always have to meet the "standard" cost yourself.

However as has been pointed out here by an advisor, DSA regs are in a state of flux and guidelines for the next academic year haven't yet been published. There are no guarantees that funding will remain the same.
sophieeee15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You'd need to go through the DSA assessment to be sure of what you might get. The details will depend on your individual issues and circumstances.

I doubt that you'd get free transport under any circumstances. The guideline up to now has been that the "standard" method of transport (I'm guessing train for you) and the alternative would both be costed and you would be awarded the price difference (in the form of invoice reimbursement). You would always have to meet the "standard" cost yourself.
However as has been pointed out here by an advisor, DSA regs are in a state of flux and guidelines for the next

academic year haven't yet been published. There are no guarantees that funding will remain the same.
Hi

Thank you for your help and yeah I would have to get the train from sutton to wolvhampton and also I looked on rail card for 3 years its £70 which would be useful
Are you doing a course at wolv uni
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sophieeee15)
Hi

Thank you for your help and yeah I would have to get the train from sutton to wolvhampton and also I looked on rail card for 3 years its £70 which would be useful
Are you doing a course at wolv uni
You won't be refunded for travelling costs which you would normally incur. You would need to get from Sutton to uni regardless of your condition. If your seizures would have prevented you from safely travelling by train then previous regs may have awarded you the difference between catching the train and a safer way of getting to uni for your condition. Doesn't sound like that's the case?

I'm nothing to do with Wolverhampton.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (215)
43.97%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.45%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.36%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (103)
21.06%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (52)
10.63%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.52%

Watched Threads