The Student Room Group

2014 Higher Prelim Discussion Thread!

I know It's late, and lots of people have already had one or two prelims, ,but some people asked for it. I'd hope this still could be a place for us sorry folks to chat about the kinda pointless but still stressful exams that don't really matter except for the prizes and dux etc. Otherwise known as the Prelims! :woo:

So how y'all feeling 'bout them. My first's tomorrow (Math) which I'm definitely not looking forward to . :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This site has like 9 practice prelims for maths on it. Have fun! http://mathemental.wikispaces.com/Higher+Mathematics
Quite worried tbh ours start next week - English-Chemistry-Maths are the first 3, kill me now. Thank god for study leave though. My worst subject is definitely english but I've improved since the start of the year, we did two timed essays last week...For my poem I got a 13. My teacher got a bit bored and just drew sad faces on some peoples instead of trying to come up with a grade. It always seem to have way too many variables but for maths/sciences there's formulas and everything. Just urgh.
There's been quite a lot of issues with teachers this year though at my school, luckily I've not been affected but one of my friends (who's doing 5 highers) her chemistry teacher has been off since November for unknown reasons and her history teacher moved at Christmas to another school.
Reply 3
Original post by greenladybird
Quite worried tbh ours start next week - English-Chemistry-Maths are the first 3, kill me now. Thank god for study leave though. My worst subject is definitely english but I've improved since the start of the year, we did two timed essays last week...For my poem I got a 13. My teacher got a bit bored and just drew sad faces on some peoples instead of trying to come up with a grade. It always seem to have way too many variables but for maths/sciences there's formulas and everything. Just urgh.
There's been quite a lot of issues with teachers this year though at my school, luckily I've not been affected but one of my friends (who's doing 5 highers) her chemistry teacher has been off since November for unknown reasons and her history teacher moved at Christmas to another school.

That's my first three. But in the order Math-Chemistry-English.
English is a pain in the a** to me as well. But if you go under the surface a bit, you'll begin to see, almost a type of formula to the questions. They'll only really ask you about stuff like character, setting, theme, mood etc. So as long as you have all them bases covered , you should be fine.

And I don't get study leave. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
No study leave would kill me...

Done 2 and Latin is today, done barely anything for it, but hey I have been winging it. A prize or two would be nice, but I'm not that bothered, would rather just get the 5A's.
Reply 5
I still have about 2 weeks to go until mine start - English is first (which I'm dreading the most). Then I have to wait one full week until the 3rd and I have History, Spanish, French and Admin in the remainder of the week! Sadly, no study leave!
Ayo, I survived Latin, oh god my results are gonna be so **** aha, hoping m,y parents don't kill me, sigh, Asian expectations.

Just got to focus on making sure Chemistry and Biology are absolutely a's with no doubt.
Reply 7
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Ayo, I survived Latin, oh god my results are gonna be so **** aha, hoping m,y parents don't kill me, sigh, Asian expectations.

Just got to focus on making sure Chemistry and Biology are absolutely a's with no doubt.

How long you got till them? They are probably the easiest out of your subjects( well maybe math) to ace , so I'd say just study you a** off man.

Original post by Y2J97
I still have about 2 weeks to go until mine start - English is first (which I'm dreading the most). Then I have to wait one full week until the 3rd and I have History, Spanish, French and Admin in the remainder of the week! Sadly, no study leave!

You share my no study leave pain.

Spanish and French eh? My mind would pretty much die.
Reply 8
Less than two weeks to go for me. Thankfully, I have study leave :biggrin:

Mon 27 - English
Tue 28 - Maths
Fri 31 - Computing
Mon 3 - Physics
Tue 4 - Chemistry

Not ready in the slightest...
My prelims start in less than a week. I don't get study leave either :frown: im in 6th year so only doing one additional higher this year (the other two are advanced highers) im so not ready :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I have my first prelim on Friday for advanced higher modern studies, not ready at all... we have had 4 teachers since the start of term and its not great but i am trying to get on top of things and we have been steered towards the direction of the questions so it is not all bad haha! Pretty worried and i have two next week... AH history on Tuesday which i have nit even started revising for and then flipping H English the next day:frown:
Original post by Memetics
How long you got till them? They are probably the easiest out of your subjects( well maybe math) to ace , so I'd say just study you a** off man.

Chemistry is Mon, Biology is Thur. Aha that was the plan, but I did **** all today, whoops.
Reply 12

I actually really like doing both languages -I'm just not a mathematical or science person at all!
Study leave begins a week on Monday! My first prelim is on the Tuesday :s-smilie:

Tues 28th - Psychology
Wed 29th - Geography
Wed 5th Feb - Business Management AND Advanced Higher Computing :s-smilie:

Such fun!
Reply 14
Had my Higher Maths prelim today. Got my Advanced Higher Computing one tomorrow and then Higher Product Design on Wednesday. Higher Maths was safe to say... unbelievable difficult!! Then again, the person who writes the papers for our school is the head of mathematics and was the head creator/writer or whatever you call it for SQA main exams. He got fired because he made them too hard!!!
Reply 15
Original post by Confused!
Had my Higher Maths prelim today. Got my Advanced Higher Computing one tomorrow and then Higher Product Design on Wednesday. Higher Maths was safe to say... unbelievable difficult!! Then again, the person who writes the papers for our school is the head of mathematics and was the head creator/writer or whatever you call it for SQA main exams. He got fired because he made them too hard!!!

That just seems unlucky. Did he not learn his lesson haha

Original post by lala4
I have my first prelim on Friday for advanced higher modern studies, not ready at all... we have had 4 teachers since the start of term and its not great but i am trying to get on top of things and we have been steered towards the direction of the questions so it is not all bad haha! Pretty worried and i have two next week... AH history on Tuesday which i have nit even started revising for and then flipping H English the next day:frown:

How did modies go today then? My English is on the 27th, so thats depressing to say the least. :frown:
Is it just my school where the maths department think they take priority over all your other subjects? I have an absolute ton of stuff for my maths prelim to do over the weekend when I dont even need to focus on it too much in comparison to my other subjects :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by Pennyarcade
Is it just my school where the maths department think they take priority over all your other subjects? I have an absolute ton of stuff for my maths prelim to do over the weekend when I dont even need to focus on it too much in comparison to my other subjects :frown:

I don't do Maths myself, but from what I've heard at my school, our maths departments think it is the priority as well.
Nah, in my school it's the biology department.
Reply 19
That just seems unlucky. Did he not learn his lesson haha

How did modies go today then? My English is on the 27th, so thats depressing to say the least. :frown:

It was good i think yeah.. The questions were pretty much exactly what we were told they would be and i had written essays before hand which got 28/30 and 27/30 and i tried to replicate them in the exam so hopefully i get a good grade. Resarch methods were ok too but i did ramble a bit and didn't know exactly what i was saying but hopefully i have brought up my mark with the essays. Although i do not like to dwell on it as i end up going through what i could or should have written. Its done now that's all that matters haha:smile: And oh good luck! I have English on Wednesday and i haven't even started to revise but i also have AH history on Tuesday and so i am revising all for that as i feel i want to get good AH grades rather than my highers.

Quick Reply