The Student Room Group

physics or biology a level?

I am an aspiring medical student and i really hope to get into Manchester to study medicine. However, i am unsure about whether to take biology or physics. Please can someone tell me what it's like and what they'd recommend. Overall, my grades in both average A/A* however at gcse level i would say that my physics is better than my biology (only slightly).
I don't know specifically about manchester but as you get 4 choices I'd recommend biology, you'll limit your options a lot if you don't take biology at least to as level. There's a table of med school entry requirements in the med wiki page.
If your intention is to study medicine, then I think that Biology is the better choice. But if you are good in both of them why you don't take both biology and physics as A level?
Reply 3
Thank you both!

I'm not taking both since i also want to do chemistry, french and maths
Original post by MoonyOwl
(...)

I see. You may just take four A levels, right? if that is the case I would advice you to take biology, as you seem to be very sure what you want to study.
Reply 5
Original post by Kallisto
I see. You may just take four A levels, right? if that is the case I would advice you to take biology, as you seem to be very sure what you want to study.

Thanks, you've been very helpful
Thanks, you've been very helpful

You are welcome! in my opinion A level in chemistry and biology is a good combination for a soon-to-be medicine student. I'm glad that my advice was helpful.
Lots of general info/advice (including A level subjects etc) about applying to Medicine : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
Reply 8
Thank you both!

It's really up to you, I would also say Biology, but, if your career plans change then you won't be able to go and do any engineering courses.

But if you're 100% sure you just want to do medicine, then take Biology. You'll have a great combination of subjects at AS. And besides, some people drop a subject for A2 so they'd continue with their 3 A2's and then also pick up another AS in Year 13. You could pick Physics then?

You don't have to pick up another AS if you feel like it'll just be too much work, if you feel that's not the right choice for you then by all means ignore what I said and just focus on your 3 subjects at A2.

All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest