The Student Room Group

My mum just called me fat?!

I'm a 19 year old girl at 5ft 2" so I try to look after myself in terms of diet and consequently weigh 7 st 11 pounds. My mum and I were just watching the news when a segment about obesity came on. I commented on one of the women about the fact that if she developed the will power to lose weight, she could through exercise and healthy eating. My mum randomly said "you're not exactly skinny yourself are you? Get on the exercise bike for a bit, you'll lose some of that extra weight!" She's never spoken of my weight in that way so it took me back a bit and made me quite upset. I left the room wondering what the hell she sees that I don't. I carry most of my weight in my boobs/thighs/bum but have a slim waist. Regardless of thinking about my feelings, she commented on the size of my bum... it's made me really self conscious now as my own mother seems to regard me as overweight. Has anybody else had their parent(s) say anything mean to them about their weight? I'm a bit shaken after that for some reason.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My mum always used to call me fat. I was fat though.

You're not, just tell her to shut up.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a 19 year old girl at 5ft 2" so I try to look after myself in terms of diet and consequently weigh 7 st 11 pounds. My mum and I were just watching the news when a segment about obesity came on. I commented on one of the women about the fact that if she developed the will power to lose weight, she could through exercise and healthy eating. My mum randomly said "you're not exactly skinny yourself are you? Get on the exercise bike for a bit, you'll lose some of that extra weight!" She's never spoken of my weight in that way so it took me back a bit and made me quite upset. I left the room wondering what the hell she sees that I don't. I carry most of my weight in my boobs/thighs/bum but have a slim waist. Regardless of thinking about my feelings, she commented on the size of my bum... it's made me really self conscious now as my own mother seems to regard me as overweight. Has anybody else had their parent(s) say anything mean to them about their weight? I'm a bit shaken after that for some reason.

7st 11 is definitely not overweight at all, or anyway close to overweight. The only time you would be overweight at 7 stone 11 is if you were 4 feet tall.
She didn't call you fat.

You have excess weight

Your mum made an honest(slightly harsh) comment.
Reply 4
Banter?
sounds like your mum's just jealous LOL
Talk to her! You're not overweight. I'm 5'6" and two stone heavier than you and I'm a healthy weight. You're fine. :smile:
Reply 7
Call her fat back! :pirate:
Reply 8
hey its parents
i was called fat by my mother so i hit the gym
now i am told im trying to be flashy lol
Reply 9
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
She didn't call you fat.

You have excess weight

Your mum made an honest(slightly harsh) comment.

I don't have "excess" weight. I have boobs and a bum... I weight 7st 11 pounds. I already mentioned that I have a slim waist, my weight is just distributed in my boobs/thighs/bum. I can't do anything to change that. I've been slimmer than this before and didn't like it as my face was beginning to look slightly gaunt and I barely lost inches in my problem areas.
Sounds a bit hypocritical, you called a woman on the tele fat and your mother said you arent THAT skinny ?
Reply 11
Well your BMI is in the healthy range so you're not even overweight but that depends on if the weight and height you've given are actually correct.

My dad says I'm putting on weight and he's right but I'm a guy and we don't generally give a **** but I'm 6ft2 so it's not exactly noticeable yet either because it's only my stomach. The only reason I'd lose it is to reduce my chances of diabetes.
****ing get over it man,it's not like she said you wish you were never born or you were an accident.
post a pic and we'll assess if your mum is trolling you or not

make sure it's a full body pic, take a few, with and without clothes.
you know what, we should be paid for this sort of service. just do as we say op, and count yourself lucky we're even assessing you.
Reply 14
Original post by PerryPerry95
Sounds a bit hypocritical, you called a woman on the tele fat and your mother said you arent THAT skinny ?

I didn't call her "fat". The woman was complaining about her excess weight and was due to undergo a gastric bypass on the NHS. I said that with will power (as difficult as that may be to create) she could lose the weight through a good diet and exercise. I didn't make a derogatory comment which is why my mum's comment threw me off. No hypocrisy here.
Reply 15
Original post by AnJuM218
Well your BMI is in the healthy range so you're not even overweight but that depends on if the weight and height you've given are actually correct.

My dad says I'm putting on weight and he's right but I'm a guy and we don't generally give a **** but I'm 6ft2 so it's not exactly noticeable yet either because it's only my stomach. The only reason I'd lose it is to reduce my chances of diabetes.

The measurements are correct as they were taken very recently.
Reply 16
Your mum sounds like a bit of a bitch tbh
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't call her "fat". The woman was complaining about her excess weight and was due to undergo a gastric bypass on the NHS. I said that with will power (as difficult as that may be to create) she could lose the weight through a good diet and exercise. I didn't make a derogatory comment which is why my mum's comment threw me off. No hypocrisy here.

Apologies, came across as hypocritical but clearly a misunderstanding. I only jumped the gun because people are way to quick to comment on situations they know little about. I know people who are overweight and diet but dont get far. Yet my one friend was over 20st and has recently last 8stone. This took a huge amount of will power and determination over a prolonged period of time which isn't as easy as eating healthy for a week. So once again I apologies if my accusation was untrue
Is your mum slightly overweight or does she consider herself overweight? If so, perhaps she thought you were taking a sly dig at her when you made that comment. :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Original post by ravishingrick69
post a pic and we'll assess if your mum is trolling you or not

make sure it's a full body pic, take a few, with and without clothes.
you know what, we should be paid for this sort of service. just do as we say op, and count yourself lucky we're even assessing you.

OK, just taking my clothes off now. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Attachment not found

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending