What causes racial hatred: racists or racial friction?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Does anyone else appreciate the irony that we rhetorically attack racism, yet support increasing racial diversity in communities? Racial hatred is caused by racial friction; racial friction is caused by two or more races trying to share the same territory. Racists are the symptom, the byproduct of racial diversity.

The greater the racial diversity, the greater the racial hatred in a community. Right? Isn't that we have been discovering in this noble experiment to get humankind to transcend its tribal nature?

-- Promote mono-racial societies, and you are promoting societies that are free of racial hatred.
-- Promote multi-racial societies, and you are promoting racial hatred.

The dilemma for us who support multi-culturalism is what balance do we strike between the benefits of multi-culturalism and the amount of racial hatred we can tolerate.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah well, its all a bit late now, it should have been discussed years ago.

and anyway, what is racism?

im not trying to cause offence by the next statement, but, if expecting people to change they're beliefs and way of living to fit in with that of the society they are moving into, well sorry class me as a racist.

But in my mind, if i moved to france, i wouldnt expect my new neighbours to all learn english to make me feel at home, if they did it would b nice, but i would expect to have to learn french and if i chose to speak english in my own house then no1 could say anything. but to not speak/behave in the way to whih they are acostimed would be pure ignorant.

oh well, theres my view.

love Katy ***
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
well when the british had the empire why didn't they learn the languages and customs of the countries they invaded?

they kept british customs and the language and tried to introduce it to the invaded countries so why do we expect others to do different here?
NeuroticSurgeon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I am a British Asian living in Britain, and the thing is about a multicultural society is that as long as you strike the balance, there should not be racial conflict as such. We live in a Western secular society, so it is difficult for most people who have some sort of religious or cultural background to fit in.

However, it's all about respect. If cultures are to live side by side they must respect each other and their beliefs - for example if a bunch of yobs burn down mosques and temples that's not respect. With that respect and understanding we can live together peacefully - it's crucial to integrate but it is equally as crucial to hold onto our roots and culture. For example, I am a Hindu, so I am very much fluent in my regional language (Gujrati) as well as English, I watch English and Indian films, I listen to English and Indian music. I am a Hindu, but I respect Christianity, Islam, Sikhism etc etc and I would never criticise them. I talk about my love of Indian films in an appropriate situation and my love of English films also in appropriate situations. I would never be so disrespectful as to talk in my regional language in public because that is excluding other people - I strictly speak it in the home and around my family and people who understand it. Similarly, my grandparents do not understand English, so I speak in Gujrati to them. There is nothing wrong with encouraging multiculturalism, but integration is crucial.
Goku_ssj4
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
I totally agree NeuroticSurgeon !
Dybbuk
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Integration is not necessarily crucial, but instead potentially prosperous for all cultures, societies, and peoples. There are a number of threads and strings attached to multi-culturalism and globalisation, with good and bad arguments for and against their concepts. The world is divided into cultures and sub-cultures and tribes and groups of people with conflicting views, lifestyles and ideologies. Therefore, integration, in its most simple sense of being a melting pot of races, is not of great value to the world and its peoples as racial friction is inevitable under those circumstances.

The process should take time in taking shape. Unity should be the only desired goal of multi-culturalism, and that does not mean a street with Mr Jones living next to Mr Abdul living next to Mrs Kraichzeck and so on.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What is this great desire everyone has to live in a multi-cultural society? There is no much thing as a multi-cultural society, only multi-racial. People often point to the USA as a 'multi-cultural' society, yet Black American's do not consider themselves African, they consider themselves to be American. It is this which we have to learn in the United Kingdom, before it is too late. This is EXACTLY the sort of fuel hard right political groups require. Yet we learn nothing from the rise of the BNP in Oldham and similar towns.

As for the argument of Britain didn't learn the languages of the countires they conquered, it is precisely because we conquered them that we didn't learn the language. I dont remember losing any wars.....

It's quite a scary thought in a way, I cant think of many, if any cultures that have stood by and watched whilst the once huge majority become the minority.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
I would like to suggest to the last poster that the recent rise of the British National Party was based less on the political persuasion of the people of this country, and more on the incompitance of the current government. They seem to think that to create a multi-cultural society, they must put as many different cultures in as-closer proximity as possible. They expect automatic intergration and are totally unwilling to accept any responsibility for the consequences of their actions. If they are truly commited to a multi-cultural society as they say, then I would say that they really need to prove it. Getting back to the seeming rise of the BNP, I think that a great deal of the votes they won were protest votes against the currently useless political alternatives rather than a concious effort to buy into this partys terrible racist thinking. I honestly belive that the BNP and others like them will continue to gain support unless a real solution is offered.

In respone to the original thred I would say that in my own opinion, a TRUE multi-cultural society will never exist. BUT I think that creation of one should be the goal of everone if we are to make real progress.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads