This discussion is closed.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
M226 - Motion on Operation Grange, TSR GovernmentThe Home Office has continued to fund another full scale investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, 5 years after she has disappeared.

Whilst Madeleine's continued disappearance is a tragic incident for her parents, relatives and for all involved, there has been a recognition for the need to move on. However with the recent appearance of children, such as 'Maria' (1). We have to recognise that not all hope is lost. Therefore we should offer the 'Madeline McCann Foundation' the opportunity to fund the investigation themselves.

This motion calls for public spending on this particular operation to be reduced and allocated to other disappearances, and help to recover more children - beneficial for reuniting families and bringing perpetrators of child abduction to justice.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Whilst I would have to vote with the government, I think there is a role for it. Reminds people to keep an eye on their children on holiday and gives people some hope.
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
aye, definite aye.

so much time and money wasted, imagine how many kids could be found if that money had been spent on them rather than pandering to the McCann's.
nixonsjellybeans
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was thinking about this today after seeing the news and I agree I have to say.

On one hand we can't give up but on the other theres plenty of people who disappear every year so we can't just funnel it all into one project because its more well known than the others. If only the police applied this much effort after I got mugged, they've might have got enough evidence to prosecute the chap :lol:
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
I was thinking about this today after seeing the news and I agree I have to say.

On one hand we can't give up but on the other theres plenty of people who disappear every year so we can't just funnel it all into one project because its more well known than the others. If only the police applied this much effort after I got mugged, they've might have got enough evidence to prosecute the chap :lol:
if they or their kid were; black, poor or foreign we would have given up a long, LONG time ago...the case just shows how police and media care more about keeping rich white people happy with false hope than actually helping other people who they might be able to find the missing kids of.
Will95206
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
An Aye for I. This case no longer needs publicly funder money there are more pressing cases at need.
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Abstain
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No jokes from me on this one.

Painful as it is for the family, there are other cases which do not have the publicity or independent funds. So an aye from me.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aye, the finances should be allocated in order to maximise the probability of success in as many cases as possible.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I broadly agree with the motion, but on principle have a problem with political interference in the operation of the Police Service - there's too much of it as there is, as this case demonstrates. Would they be disproportionately concerning themselves with this poor girl if they weren't receiving certain directions from both the public and politicians? I'm dubious. In an ideal world they would treat every case like this equally seriously - black child, white child, poor, middle-class etc.. As for the Foundation. They can spend that money as they please, but personally I think it would be best if they put it towards something from which people in need could derive tangible benefit.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aye, completely agree here. Same scenario as the "Save Oscar" fund over in NI. You wouldn't have seen this support if they weren't rich, white, middle class. Agree with Faland, wouldn't necessarily encourage them to pursue as much as encourage them to support others, but it's up to them.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aye.
nikkoch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
aye
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Division!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.1%
12.37%
12.37%
18.15%
23.12%
19.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise