xpinkprincessx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there guys I am applying this year to study adult nursing here in Northern Ireland. I am aware we get fees and bursary paid. However, I am unclear as to whether we are eligible for student loans?? I have heard no as we get the above paid for, and I have also heard that student nurses can apply for a reduced loan. Any current student nurses out there that could shed any light on this would be much appreciated.xx.
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey!
Student nurses are apparently eligible for a reduced maintenance loan as well as the bursary.
The tuition fees are paid for as long as you are eligible, so hopefully thats a little better!
There's a thread on this somewhere under finance i think it is as i asked about it too
xpinkprincessx
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=deviant182;45992008]Hey!
Student nurses are apparently eligible for a reduced maintenance loan as well as the bursary.
The tuition fees are paid for as long as you are eligible, so hopefully thats a little better!
There's a thread on this somewhere under finance i think it is as i asked about it too

Hey there how's u deviant182??
So as far as ur aware the tuition fees and bursary are paid as long as the student is eligible but also student nurses can apply for reduced maintenance loan? That's great if so Is that all of the UK? I obviously don't want to take a loan out but I like that it's there as back up. For one I don't know how I'll survive on less than £500 a month... And I don't understand how they'd expect us to. We should at least be entightled to a student loan if needs be. Thanks deviant xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
hipbones
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its very difficult to get the maintainance loan, from what I've heard. You have to present your case to a panel etc. The majority of us are on the standard bursay which is £430 a month.
AnneFitz24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From Sept '13 Northern Ireland nursing students who are new students, are no longer eligible to receive the reduced rate maintenance loan. I work for SFNI so this is true I'm afraid
xpinkprincessx
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnneFitz24)
From Sept '13 Northern Ireland nursing students who are new students, are no longer eligible to receive the reduced rate maintenance loan. I work for SFNI so this is true I'm afraid
Thanks for ur reply AnneFitz24. I am asuming by SFNI u are referring to student finance northern ireland? Can i ask why this is? Surely that seem a litttle unfair? As student nurses in England qualifiy. If a student from NI moved to London to study would they qualify over there ? Is there anything you can advise that would help financially as i am unsure how anyone one who does not live at home with parents can live on this bursary?x
AnneFitz24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have no idea why they changed it! Doesn't make sense to me because as far as I'm aware students coming from England will still be entitled to the reduced rate maintenance loan. There's no other funding that SFNI can offer, it would only be the bursary from the NHS, and the only other grants the NHS bursary team would offer would be if you had a disability, or any dependants etc. I'm in the same boat as you, no idea how I'm going to afford to study for 3 years on just the bursary
AnneFitz24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In regards to students coming from NI to study in England, they may still be entitled to the reduced rate maintenance loan. The best thing to do is make your application and then you'll know exactly what you're entitled to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.97%
No (134)
74.03%

Watched Threads