The Student Room Group

Prefects and UCAS

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to apply to be a prefect (almost certain chance of becoming one) in my school. From those applications, the Head Boys (no chance of becoming one) and Senior Prefects (who direct the prefects (small chance of becoming one)). However, I was wondering whether this would make any difference to my UCAS application? I'm in Year 12 at the moment, and I'm aiming for entry into (hopefully) some of the top Universities, such as Cambridge, Imperial, etc... to study Computer Science. Would it be beneficial to apply to become a prefect/senior prefect?

Thank you :smile:
Don't bother.

It won't make the slightest difference to your UCAS application. Admissions Tutors want to know why you want to go to University and why you want to study this subject.

Wearing a badge all year doesn't tell them anything about your academic potential or why you like this subject. Spend your/time energy on your A levels - because that's what will get you into Uni.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Don't bother.

It won't make the slightest difference to your UCAS application. Admissions Tutors want to know why you want to go to University and why you want to study this subject.

Wearing a badge all year doesn't tell them anything about your academic potential or why you like this subject. Spend your/time energy on your A levels - because that's what will get you into Uni.

Yep, I thought as much. And prefects only have the menial jobs, and I would hate to do that, so I think it's better to not waste my time filling writing the letter. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Pictraz
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to apply to be a prefect (almost certain chance of becoming one) in my school. From those applications, the Head Boys (no chance of becoming one) and Senior Prefects (who direct the prefects (small chance of becoming one)). However, I was wondering whether this would make any difference to my UCAS application? I'm in Year 12 at the moment, and I'm aiming for entry into (hopefully) some of the top Universities, such as Cambridge, Imperial, etc... to study Computer Science. Would it be beneficial to apply to become a prefect/senior prefect?

Zero percent difference.
I didn't even bother to write it in my personal statement. You have limited space and the last thing you want is to waste it writing about unrelevant things.
Reply 4
What about work experience? I'm applying for a tonne of taster courses, and perhaps even Google later on. They are all Maths/Physics/Computing based, so maybe they'll have an impact?
Original post by Pictraz
Hi all,

It won't make any difference to UCAS. It might improve your cv for employment marginally. It may carry perks within your school. It will help to assuage any latent Napoleon complex you may have.
Anything that shows your real interest in the subject outside the A level syllabus IS worth doing - extra reading, going to public lectures at local Unis, relevant bits of work experience or volunteering, relevant subject stuff like summer schools, any sort of 'extension' stuff run by Unis etc. But remember, for your PS you need to be able to explain why you did this and what difference it made - not just list it all.
It won't really enhance your application in any way. By all means put it in if you have the space (plenty of other applicants do) but not at the expense of something more interesting (that includes hobbies, sports, voluntary and paid work).

Good luck!

-----
DrT is the Admissions Tutor for Medical Physiology and Therapeutics at the University of Nottingham.

Quick Reply

Latest