The Student Room Group

If Scottish Universities become "free" will you go?

The Scottish Referendum isn't far away now and according to some academics charging tuition fees to UK based students attending an independent Scottish Universities could mean breaking European Law.

So... depending on the outcome of the referendum there could be a very strong incentive for students based elsewhere in the UK to attend Scottish Universities for free!

Will you be applying? What impact do you think this could have on applications to Scottish Universities and the UK higher education system?
Reply 1
Free uni education = win!

<3 x
Reply 2
Original post by Rainbow Bright
The Scottish Referendum isn't far away now and according to some academics charging tuition fees to UK based students attending an independent Scottish Universities could mean breaking European Law.

So... depending on the outcome of the referendum there could be a very strong incentive for students based elsewhere in the UK to attend Scottish Universities for free!

Will you be applying? What impact do you think this could have on applications to Scottish Universities and the UK higher education system?

I suspect it could see a surge in applicants from other parts of the UK, particularly those close to the border in Northern England. I'll be graduating this year but if I were to be decided where to go to university personally I wouldn't want to go to Scotland as its too far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending