The Student Room Group

Am I too late to prepare for GEM 2014?

I graduated last year, I've done some voluntary work here and there but nothing substantial. I volunteered for the olympics, for a dragon boat race, as a food server at my local homeless shelter and I've recently applied to volunteer at a hospital for a year (will find out if I get a place today). I don't have any experience but during my A levels I worked for the NHS as a national pandemic swine flu helpline call assistant where I took calls from patients who may have swine flu and "diagnosed" them by following an online questionnaire.

My GCSEs are mostly Bs and I only have 2 A levels standing at a D and an E in biology and psychology. I've done a "access to science" course where I averaged 74%, and I have a 2;1 in pharmacology.

Do you think I have a shot if I start to prepare now? I really don't want to waste a year to apply in 2015 for 2016 entry
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by postman232
I graduated last year, I've done some voluntary work here and there but nothing substantial. I volunteered for the olympics, for a dragon boat race, as a food server at my local homeless shelter and I've recently applied to volunteer at a hospital for a year (will find out if I get a place today). I don't have any experience but during my A levels I worked for the NHS as a national pandemic swine flu helpline call assistant where I took calls from patients who may have swine flu and "diagnosed" them by following an online questionnaire.

My GCSEs are mostly Bs and I only have 2 A levels standing at a D and an E in biology and psychology. I've done a "access to science" course where I averaged 74%, and I have a 2;1 in pharmacology.

Do you think I have a shot if I start to prepare now? I really don't want to waste a year to apply in 2015

I am really sorry if I misunderstood you but are you saying you want to see if you can apply for entry in 2014 (ie, this year?) The deadline for applications ended back in October of 2013. It looks like you may need to apply for 2015 entry.

It's a good idea to start researching some of the GEM school you want to apply to and check entry requirements. Most schools require you to take some sort of admission test and it's worthwhile looking into that now because some (especially GAMSAT) are knowledge based which require months of preparation.

Lots of people will tell you this and I think it's true - when it comes to work experience, it's far better to show true commitment rather than doing bits and bobs here and there. You need to be able to reflect on what you learn, whether it'd be at a GP surgery, in a hospice or on a ward and be able to convey that across effectively at interviews. I think a good place to start is by organising some healthcare related work experience (examples: shadowing a GP, volunteering at a hospice/elderly home, volunteering on the wards). It takes a while to get work experience so it's a good idea to start early. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Cephalosporin
I am really sorry if I misunderstood you but are you saying you want to see if you can apply for entry in 2014 (ie, this year?) The deadline for applications ended back in October of 2013. It looks like you may need to apply for 2015 entry.

It's a good idea to start researching some of the GEM school you want to apply to and check entry requirements. Most schools require you to take some sort of admission test and it's worthwhile looking into that now because some (especially GAMSAT) are knowledge based which require months of preparation.

Lots of people will tell you this and I think it's true - when it comes to work experience, it's far better to show true commitment rather than doing bits and bobs here and there. You need to be able to reflect on what you learn, whether it'd be at a GP surgery, in a hospice or on a ward and be able to convey that across effectively at interviews. I think a good place to start is by organising some healthcare related work experience (examples: shadowing a GP, volunteering at a hospice/elderly home, volunteering on the wards). It takes a while to get work experience so it's a good idea to start early. :smile:

I'm sorry I was intending to apply this year for 2015 entry, but wasn't too sure if I have enough time to prepare for it
I'm sorry I was intending to apply this year for 2015 entry, but wasn't too sure if I have enough time to prepare for it

You definitely have enough time to prepare for it. I'd say go for it and see how it turns out. It'll be an excellent learning experience. Lots of applicants don't make it in the first time around. :smile:
Reply 4
You definitely have enough time to prepare for it. I'd say go for it and see how it turns out. It'll be an excellent learning experience. Lots of applicants don't make it in the first time around. :smile:

Thanks, :smile: are you currently in medschool or hoping to apply?
Thanks, :smile: are you currently in medschool or hoping to apply?

I applied this cycle, still waiting to hear back from most of my choices and it's not looking good! Still keeping the faith though. :smile:
Reply 6
I applied this cycle, still waiting to hear back from most of my choices and it's not looking good! Still keeping the faith though. :smile:

Hope it all works out for you :smile:
I decided I wanted to apply last summer (i.e. 3 months before the UCAS deadline), so it's never too late :smile: (hope that'll give you some motivation towards applying)
Reply 8
Original post by efii
I decided I wanted to apply last summer (i.e. 3 months before the UCAS deadline), so it's never too late :smile: (hope that'll give you some motivation towards applying)

How did it work out for you? Did you get a place?
Plenty time. Try and get as much work experience in a hospital as you can to strengthen your application. Start preparing for the UKCAT and/or GAMSAT etc. Loads of time yet.

What degree did you do?
Reply 10
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
Plenty time. Try and get as much work experience in a hospital as you can to strengthen your application. Start preparing for the UKCAT and/or GAMSAT etc. Loads of time yet.

What degree did you do?

I did Pharmacology
I did Pharmacology

Sorted. :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
Sorted. :wink:

Now I'm a little motivated! Great to hear, will definitely try to get some work experience in, I've already sorted out my volunteering at a hospital which lasts for a year

Thanks for your replies
(edited 10 years ago)
How did it work out for you? Did you get a place?

I applied in Oct 2013 so I'm still waiting to hear back from Unis.
Reply 14
Original post by efii
I applied in Oct 2013 so I'm still waiting to hear back from Unis.

I'm sure you'll be fine, hope it works out for you :smile:
I'm sure you'll be fine, hope it works out for you :smile:

Thanks. I'm really doubting it because of my UKCAT result. I only got 710 :frown: what a bummer.

Make sure you do well in your admissions tests.
Reply 16
Original post by efii
Thanks. I'm really doubting it because of my UKCAT result. I only got 710 :frown: what a bummer.

Make sure you do well in your admissions tests.

I thought getting above 700 is considered to be very good :confused: maybe theres a difference of scores in graduate entry as opposed to the normal entry courses?
I thought getting above 700 is considered to be very good :confused: maybe theres a difference of scores in graduate entry as opposed to the normal entry courses?

I've applied to Kings 5yr, Durham 5yr, Soton 4yr and Warwick. I haven't heard back from any of them yet. :frown:
Reply 18
Hey, sorry to hijack your thread but I am just wondering if you guys know how much work experience is required for the GEM at places like Warwick and KCL?

I do realise it's not just the amount you do that counts but is there not a 'minimum'?
Reply 19
Original post by KPCN
Hey, sorry to hijack your thread but I am just wondering if you guys know how much work experience is required for the GEM at places like Warwick and KCL?

I do realise it's not just the amount you do that counts but is there not a 'minimum'?

Thats ok, I'd like to know the answer to this as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending