Rmachiavel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi 'verybody,

I'd like to undertake a Master in Finance somewhere. By searching this and that, selecting between programme (type of courses, strong quant basis...), ranking, price, I retained:
- Msc Finance Management at St Andrews
- Msc Finance at Strathclyde
- Msc Investment & Finance at Queen Mary
- Msc Investment & Finance at Durham

Which one would you advise for me? Maybe another if it's really worth it.

Thanks for your patience
Casprules
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go to open days see which feels right. Also the grades will make an impact. I chose my unis based on open days and whether I liked the feel and the course. It just depends on what you like not other people. Loads of people like Cardiff but I had a bad guy feeling so never applied there. If you don't know you might not be happy so visit them to check. They're all well respected so it won't make much difference with employers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rmachiavel
Rep:
?
(Original post by Casprules)
Go to open days see which feels right. Also the grades will make an impact. I chose my unis based on open days and whether I liked the feel and the course. It just depends on what you like not other people. Loads of people like Cardiff but I had a bad guy feeling so never applied there. If you don't know you might not be happy so visit them to check. They're all well respected so it won't make much difference with employers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your answer. However, coming from France and undertaking a BA in Ireland, it sounds hard to enjoy open days. I would work in the City and I'd know what could help me.
Casprules
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rmachiavel)
Thanks for your answer. However, coming from France and undertaking a BA in Ireland, it sounds hard to enjoy open days. I would work in the City and I'd know what could help me.
If you want a bigger city for more opportunities id go for queen Mary. Durham and St. Andrews are quite isolated so may be harder for contacts??? And I'm not sure about strathclyde it's probably somewhere in between

Posted from TSR Mobile
Solivagant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want a bigger city for more opportunities id go for queen Mary. Durham and St. Andrews are quite isolated so may be harder for contacts??? And I'm not sure about strathclyde it's probably somewhere in between

Posted from TSR Mobile
Durham is really close to Newcastle. Nowhere near as remote as St. Andrews.
Casprules
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's true. It depends how much you want to spend on travel I guess!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rmachiavel
Rep:
?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Strathclyde is in Glasgow but the program seems really attractive.
I'm really attract by St Andrews in general (program, fees ect...) http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/manageme.../pgtaught/fam/
except that compare to other program it looks quite light.
Queen is expensive but in London and the program is really nice. However according to The Sunday Times, the graduate ranking is low compared to other.

Is one of these school so much better than the other? I know that Saint Andrews is called "the bubble" and it's not only because it's in the middle of nowhere. Saint Andrews sounds really prestigious and it's well ranked.
Rmachiavel
Rep:
?
Can someone tell me about UCD Michael Smurfit? Not much information available about it. The Msc Finance has something to do about the CFA institute.

Anyone?
CFA Institute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can someone tell me about UCD Michael Smurfit? Not much information available about it. The Msc Finance has something to do about the CFA institute.

Anyone?
Hi there,

The UCD Msc in Finance is indeed part of CFA Institute's program partner scheme, as it has adopted over 70% of the CFA Program curriculum into the course. To find out more about what it means to be a CFA Institute program partner, and to see the full list of other universities who are also participating, visit www.cfainstitute.org/community/university/Pages/cfa_program_university_partners.aspx

I hope this is helpful - let us know if you have any more questions.

CFA Institute
Rmachiavel
Rep:
?
(Original post by CFA Institute)
Hi there,

The UCD Msc in Finance is indeed part of CFA Institute's program partner scheme, as it has adopted over 70% of the CFA Program curriculum into the course. To find out more about what it means to be a CFA Institute program partner, and to see the full list of other universities who are also participating, visit www.cfainstitute.org/community/university/Pages/cfa_program_university_partners.aspx

CFA Institute
Thank you but I would have known what it means exactly for a graduate of one of these school. Is there something special?
CFA Institute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you but I would have known what it means exactly for a graduate of one of these school. Is there something special?
As a student, you'll benefit in a couple of ways from the university's partnership with CFA Institute. Firstly, having already covered 70% of the CFA Program level I curriculum will mean you're pretty well grounded in that material if you do decide to go on and take the exam (though you won't be granted any exemptions). Secondly, the university will also be given a number of scholarships to award to students who want to take the CFA exam, which will significantly reduce the cost of you taking it. Finally, students and professors will have access to various resources which you might find useful, such as a daily Financial Newsbrief email, a sample exam and CFA Institute magazines.

Good luck with your choice!
arpanm
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CFA Institute)
Hi there,

CFA Institute

is the university of strathclyde a CFA institute program partner?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
28.97%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.35%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.54%

Watched Threads