University or work? Please help!! Watch

riseandshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone

I am currently working full time as an e-learning advisor and am 19 years of age. The dream has always been to study English at university but I've got myself into a really good role that had loads of prospects! Unfortunately my heart is not in the job I am in and I really want to go to university but I am worried I am making a mistake. What should I do? Stay in the job? Or head off to uni?

Thanks
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll try this thread in University life
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by riseandshine)
Hi everyone

I am currently working full time as an e-learning advisor and am 19 years of age. The dream has always been to study English at university but I've got myself into a really good role that had loads of prospects! Unfortunately my heart is not in the job I am in and I really want to go to university but I am worried I am making a mistake. What should I do? Stay in the job? Or head off to uni?

Thanks
The first thing to think about is why you want to go to uni? Do you enjoy studying and are you academic? Some people may study a subject for learnings sake because they are passionate about it but if you are going into uni expecting better job prospects then this is worth looking into carefully. In the current job climate a degree in an arts subject may not get you into a graduate job necessarily but it may open some doors - what kind of job are you looking to do after English? Have you researched what degree you need or else what English could lead to?

I know some people who have gone from a job to uni and not regretted it, and I know others who have.

The benefits of uni include: having better job prospects (possibly but not certainly), meeting new people and growing in different sorts of ways, enjoying studying a subject you are passionate about.

Cons: you will be debt and will have to pay this back if you earn over £21k. Not like a real loan, but more like an extra tax on your future salary. You will also be back at the bottom of an organisation and will need more years to go to the top (if you can progress in your career up the ladder).

There are also other options including studying from home (Open Uni) whilst working etc.

Good luck. Ultimately the decision lies with you
New- Emperor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
go to uni you say that you don't like your job and you want to go to uni so go
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When you get to the end of your life will you be saying "I wish I'd gone to Uni" or "I'm glad I had a really tedious job that bored the pants off me" ??
arainyday
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was considering not going to uni too because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, I've already taken an extra year trying to figure it out but I still haven't decided, I could spend my whole life deciding! So I've applied for Biology, which is a subject I'm genuinely interested in and hopefully will find something I'd like to do as I learn more about it, maybe something in animal conservation.

The main thing that scares me is looking at the stats for graduate job prospects/undergraduate earnings! Seeing the figures for graduates from many subjects going into non-graduate jobs makes it seem like a waste of time, but I'm trying not to let it put me off. I am planning on carrying on my more creative side somehow too (graphic design/illustration, writing and dance) so I can keep my options open.

I didn't want to regret not going to uni when I was older, it's not just about the degree but the experience of it all! I am excited about it yet terrified of leaving school/home but you have to do it at some point. You said it's always been your dream- if you're passionate about the subject, then go for it! Especially if your job isn't in your heart. I think you would regret it a lot if you didn't go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (135)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (30)
12%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.6%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.6%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.2%