Few questions re subject choice & credit transfer Watch

nickc
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello I am looking at joining an open uni course in October 2014 and have a few questions.

1. I am looking at studying environmental management does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this course. I've struggled to find anything online about others who have studied it.

2. I studied 18 months at uni of Leeds doing Product Design. It is a totally unrelated course but does anyone have any experience with credit transfers, and if so what are the chances of some of my credits being eligible for a transfer to this degree.

3. Does anyone have any experience with studying a PCGE after an OU degree. Would love to train to be a Geography teacher and wondered if anyone knew if the process is any different or more challenging for someone coming from an OU degree than a traditional uni.

Any help with any of these questions would be massively appreciated. Thanks in advance
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. It's usually better to look at individual module reviews rather than reviews of a course as a whole. The new OU site drives me mad as it doesn't seem to tell you what modules each degree includes! However, if you click here that'll show you a list of all environment related modules (and development and international studies, as they're in the same category). I assume that most of them will be available for the degree you want to do. Looking on the individual module pages you should see that many of them have reviews (scroll right to the bottom), and you can also Google the module code and you often find students' blogs etc discussing them.

2. You will most likely only be able to transfer credit for any 'free choice' part of the environment management degree...and to be honest, I'm not sure if 'free choice' is even a thing any more in the new OU world. Best to give them a call about this though. If they do say it's worth applying for credit transfer then you'll need a transcript of the modules you've done, and most likely some additional info (e.g. module descriptions and/or syllabuses).

3. Sorry, no idea about that!
LadyNico
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello

I have just done a credit transfer from Dundee University to the OU.

I had 240 credits to transfer from Dundee's Life Sciences program.

When you start a credit transfer they ask you what degree you want to transfer your credits too, then they compare the sylabus of the 2 degrees in order to see how many credits they get. I got 180/240. I decided after talking to the OU lady to pick the BSc Open option, which gave me my full 240 credits. I did this because I also want to do PGCE once I have my degree, and a named BSc Natural Sciences wasn't going to advance me much more really. All it was going to do was take an extra year to complete.

When you apply for a PGCE they ask for your module breakdown, so in my case a full breakdown of my 360 credits would show that I am a valid Biology/Science candidate - so a named degree would make no difference. Just the classification is what matters.

How this relates to your query? PGCE requires you to do 50% in the subject matter. So if you credit transfer (most likely going into the open option) the remaining of your credits will all have to be Geography related. So long as you come out with an honours degree with a good classification, clearly show your modules and have relevant experience, prospective PGCE applicants are ok.

My understanding of the PGCE system comes from my best friend who is half-way through his PGCE now.
nickc
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks so much for both your replies, both massively helpful!

So what you are effectively saying is if I transferred my 120 credits from my first year of Uni; Then did 240 credits of level 2 and 3 Geography related modules, I would have no trouble applying for a Geography PCGE, due to 2/3 of my degree being Geography based. This seems like it could the best option for my then, however a named degree is something I've always felt would give me more satisfaction achieving.

In terms of the Open Degree, how is this degree seen as opposed to named OU degrees. Say for example I didn't end up going down the PCGE route and wanted to look for a geography/environmental related job, would I have shot myself in the foot by choosing a non named degree for the sake of saving a years worth of study? Any opinions on this? Obviously a lot must depend on the circumstances and the employer in question, but there must be a difference in how they are viewed?

Thanks again
HJ M
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to have a look at specific modules in more detail, the regional centers (I'd call ahead to check if yours does as well) have 'libraries' with all modules and their materials such as books and assignment handbooks (most OU modules have computer based resources as well which aren't there, but it gives you a good idea of the module). When I was choosing my next modules I just noted down the module codes I was interested in and popped down to see what most interested me and it does help.
LadyNico
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nickc)
Thanks so much for both your replies, both massively helpful!

So what you are effectively saying is if I transferred my 120 credits from my first year of Uni; Then did 240 credits of level 2 and 3 Geography related modules, I would have no trouble applying for a Geography PCGE, due to 2/3 of my degree being Geography based. This seems like it could the best option for my then, however a named degree is something I've always felt would give me more satisfaction achieving.

In terms of the Open Degree, how is this degree seen as opposed to named OU degrees. Say for example I didn't end up going down the PCGE route and wanted to look for a geography/environmental related job, would I have shot myself in the foot by choosing a non named degree for the sake of saving a years worth of study? Any opinions on this? Obviously a lot must depend on the circumstances and the employer in question, but there must be a difference in how they are viewed?

Thanks again
If you want a named degree, the 240 with OU is probably your best bet (you never know, they might award you more than you think via credit transfer)

If you give a summary on your CV of the kinds of modules you did then I don't really see the problem. Like on my CV right now I have a list of my modules that I have studied (which make me sound super intelligent ) although it wont be named with an Open Degree, it is still honours. So it could be a BSc Open Degree First Class, and then followed by a list of your modules to show your specialities so to speak.

So long as you make it clear to any future employer what it was you studied, then it shouldnt be a problem. If it is, then they are idiots.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads