The Student Room Group

I need some help....been a bit of a prat?

I haven't exactly been in the happiest state for the past few years but I admit I am lazy and I procrastinate while procrastinating. In year 10 like an idiot I only took five IGCSE subjects: English language, English Literature, Double Award Science (worth two so basically I'll get six), History and Math. Basically throughout the whole of year 10 I was able to bull**** through my school work and I would get okay and luckily excellent grades.

By 'bull****' I mean that I wouldn't pay attention in lesson and hardly revised then when I would do my homework I'd quickly learn it for the first time right at the last minute and just write away not understanding what the hell I was doing just basically re-wording it in books and briefly understand it. For example, I had four pieces of homework to do last night and the deadline was midnight as my teacher wanted me to email it him and I did the four homeworks in half an hour (going to get a great grade lmao)

Then I went into year 11, did my mocks and messed up. Most colleges and sixth form want 5 or 6 GCSEs at grades A*-C. I know my mocks don't really apply to this as it is only a predicted grade but I know it can affect the interviewers view on me. These were my results:

English Language - C
English Literature - C
(ran out of time on these two - normally my strong point so I was quite upset)
History - B
Science - DD
Maths - C

This is what I want to take for A Levels:
History
English Literature
Government & Politics
Philosophy (maybe).

Have any of you guys done badly in your mocks and in the subjects you wanted to take for A level and you still got accepted into the college? Could I say I got a CC grade in Science or would they check? lol. How long are college/sixth form interviews? I've heard some places make you do a mini test which I will mess up if I have to do that as I don't function well put on the spot and put under a lot of pressure...if I was nervous and if you asked me what 2x2 was I probably wouldn't know lol.

Can I successfully prepare myself in five months to pass my IGCSEs with As and Bs? What do you do to get motivated? How do you revise? Anyone know any good colleges in Birmingham?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
anyone???
Reply 2
....guess not lol
Im doing A levels at the moment but yeah if you wanted to do some courses e.g. business studies which requires a C in maths at my college they allowed people with D's to enter so they allow people with lower grades sometimes to join courses XD. They would check with the CC thing because they get a reference from your school which they did at the college for me and my head wrote my grades down to ensure they were correct so you can;t lie :/ also some colleges do tests one which i applied to made me do a test while the other 2 i applied to didn't. The college interview is usually about 30 mins but thats just discussing subjects i get quite nervous but it turns out to be quite fine.

Yeah you have enough time to improve grades don't worry about it XD
By The Way I only got 5 GCSES, 3Bs 2Cs and im doing Accounting, Maths A level and Business Studies XD
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ChocoholicCox
Im doing A levels at the moment but yeah if you wanted to do some courses e.g. business studies which requires a C in maths at my college they allowed people with D's to enter so they allow people with lower grades sometimes to join courses XD. They would check with the CC thing because they get a reference from your school which they did at the college for me and my head wrote my grades down to ensure they were correct so you can;t lie :/ also some colleges do tests one which i applied to made me do a test while the other 2 i applied to didn't. The college interview is usually about 30 mins but thats just discussing subjects i get quite nervous but it turns out to be quite fine.

Yeah you have enough time to improve grades don't worry about it XD
By The Way I only got 5 GCSES, 3Bs 2Cs and im doing Accounting, Maths A level and Business Studies XD

Thank you SO much! My Science teacher and the head likes me so I am hoping I can get a reference and she'll just put 'CC' as I was only a few marks off as i've heard she has done it for other if she believes they are capable of the grade haha. What sort of test was it? what did you have to do?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LiviL97
Thank you SO much! My Science teacher and the head likes me so I am hoping I can get a reference and she'll just put 'CC' as I was only a few marks off as i've heard she has done it for other if she believes they are capable of the grade haha. What sort of test was it? what did you have to do?

Thats good then if they like you thats a bonus in the reference XD oh basically the 2 academic colleges i went to required no test while a vocational college made me do a test on the computer about English skills. I got level 1/level 3 so did quite poor but still got offered a level 3 btec in catering lol XD
Reply 6
I got a C in my GCSE history mock, and at my sixth form interviews, I just highlighted that I knew I could do better and that I was going to a revision class every week from February up until the exam. I got offered places at the two sixth forms, and ended up with an A* in history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest