The Student Room Group

Personal statement - Computer Science and Mathematics.

In my personal statement should I mention that I have developed a few small applications? They are nothing truly serious or significant, but I think that they help demonstrate the combined use of mathematics and my computing skills (both these two programmes are math orientated). I mentioned two programmes and described them both in a bit of detail. The paragraph amounts to 979 characters. Is this too much?
Reply 1
Does anyone have any suggestions?
It depends on what you have sacrificed to put it in. At this stage in the game, too much over-thinking is going to make you miss the deadline. I'd leave it in and make sure it is finished on time.
Reply 3
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It depends on what you have sacrificed to put it in. At this stage in the game, too much over-thinking is going to make you miss the deadline. I'd leave it in and make sure it is finished on time.

I don't really do any extra curricular activities or sports, so haven't got much to put down there. I've read a number of guides on personal statements, and a lot of tutors seem to like the applicant talking about their subjects in an enthusiastic manner. I'm just worried that some of it might read like a bit of a ramble.
Original post by Unfintna
I don't really do any extra curricular activities or sports, so haven't got much to put down there. I've read a number of guides on personal statements, and a lot of tutors seem to like the applicant talking about their subjects in an enthusiastic manner. I'm just worried that some of it might read like a bit of a ramble.

They won't care about your extracurricular activities anyway, so as it sounds relevant, keep it in. Just get a move on!
Reply 5
They won't care about your extracurricular activities anyway, so as it sounds relevant, keep it in. Just get a move on!

It's a bit late I know, but I submitted my personal statement to the student room personal statement help service. Hopefully someone gets back to me.
It's a bit late I know, but I submitted my personal statement to the student room personal statement help service. Hopefully someone gets back to me.

Well, maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.
Reply 7
Well, maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

I've never applied to university before, how many hours before the 6PM deadline would be appropriate? I was thinking that I might be able to take my personal statement down to a careers advisor early in the morning and have them look at it.
I've never applied to university before, how many hours before the 6PM deadline would be appropriate? I was thinking that I might be able to take my personal statement down to a careers advisor early in the morning and have them look at it.

Given that the website often seizes up at the last minute, I'd say before noon. I'd actually say do it now if that were possible. You really will be cutting it fine. I hope your referee is on standby.

Miraculously enough, you've been lucky enough to get a review in time. Go and use the advice that you've been given, and get your application in asap. At this point in time, I'd be thinking about doing an all nighter if I were you.
Reply 10
Original post by Origami Bullets
Miraculously enough, you've been lucky enough to get a review in time. Go and use the advice that you've been given, and get your application in asap. At this point in time, I'd be thinking about doing an all nighter if I were you.

:colondollar: Is it that bad? If that's the case I don't have an issue with scrapping it and starting again. It was established hours ago that I wouldn't be sleeping tonight...
:colondollar: Is it that bad? If that's the case I don't have an issue with scrapping it and starting again. It was established hours ago that I wouldn't be sleeping tonight...

No. The main point is that you should get the draft done quickly and submit it. If you leave it much later you might drown along with thousands of other applicants that have left it too late. You don't want your application to be foiled because the website has crashed
Reply 12
Original post by chickenonsteroids
No. The main point is that you should get the draft done quickly and submit it. If you leave it much later you might drown along with thousands of other applicants that have left it too late. You don't want your application to be foiled because the website has crashed

Ok, I get you.

TBH I've read neither the review nor the PS, I just saw you had a review waiting for you. It's far too late to scrap it and start again. Follow Ecosse's advice, and it will be the best it's likely to be before the deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending