fran4321
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am currently working full time, but in September i will be quitting my job and going travelling for a year or maybe too. After this i wish to go to university in London to study geography and then eventually become a geography teacher. This is my plan but obviously I am worrying about money. When i eventually do go to uni i will be 20 or 21, and my parents have refused to support me! what funding can i get?? i need to be able to pay for rent, especially living in London! Can anyone help with grants that i would be eligible for??

I'm really stressing about the finance side of it!

Thanks!!
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Assuming you have not completed an undergraduate degree or other SF funded course and are a UK citizen etc., you should be eligible for student finance. This is usually just about enough to cover basic living costs, but varies depending on how much your parents earn - so if they earn a lot, they are expected to contribute towards your upkeep and so your loan is lower. If your parents do earn a lot, but are refusing to support you, it may be worth waiting a couple of years (I think until you are 24...) to be classed as a mature student and thus receive finance based on your own income only. If you go to a university in London, you are given additional money since it is more expensive. However, if you think the costs of living in London are very high, consider looking at universities further afield - particularly further North the costs of living are often significantly cheaper.
Many universities also offer bursaries and scholarships - like with SF funding you are more likely to get more/ any at all if you come from a disadvantaged background, however some merit-based scholarships may be available to everyone - it varies a lot between universities.
If you don't think you will be able to survive on these loans/ bursaries/ scholarships, then perhaps reconsider your 'gap year' plans - rather than spending money on traveling perhaps stick with your job a bit longer and earn enough to be able to have a more financially stable time at university. Depending on your employer, they may be more willing to take you back on part-time or full-time during your studies/ vacations, which would also help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (129)
14.63%
I'm not sure (40)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (265)
30.05%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.49%
I'm not a current university student (426)
48.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed