Help - are these good A Levels to take?

Watch
Samuelcd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi!

I know you all must have seen countless threads like this but I would like to get some outside opinions on my choice of A Levels. I heavily regret nearly all my GCSE choices and I do not want to make the same mistake again.

At the moment I am pretty happy with:

English
Maths
Economics
Geography

I am not 100% on what I want to do later in life but am thinking on the lines of possibly an English degree or Economics/Business degree and going from there. I am predicted A* at all of these subjects at GCSE.
What I would like to know is:

1.) Are these all respected by universities?
2.) Do they go well together?
3.) What careers do they leave open for me?

Thank you very much anyone who takes the time to answer
macyscar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm currently studying a2 ocr economics and i think its pretty good , not difficult , interesting , real world application , and not a total "mickey mouse" subject.

I don't do maths but i know many people who have failed and succeeded at it , and you have to be exceptionally intelligent and hard working , if you're not you'll get a D max.

English Lit i don't do either but its a pretty boring and difficult subject from what i've heard.

Hope that helped somewhat.
Meeppeep
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I hope that's English Literature.
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Samuelcd)
Hi!

I know you all must have seen countless threads like this but I would like to get some outside opinions on my choice of A Levels. I heavily regret nearly all my GCSE choices and I do not want to make the same mistake again.

English
Maths
Economics
Geography

I am not 100% on what I want to do later in life but am thinking on the lines of possibly an English degree or Economics/Business degree and going from there. I am predicted A* at all of these subjects at GCSE.

They're all pretty well respected (assuming it's English literature, language isn't as good), you have a good range there that would be good for both of those degrees (although for an economics one you may also want further maths? You could always take it up as an AS in year 13 though if you wanted to). Careers-wise I'm not sure about but a lot of humanities/English degrees would be open to you with those so you can go a lot of places from there
tooskyblue
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Russell Group publishes a list of subjects that are considered academically demanding and desired by universities.

http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf go to page 14.

Everything you want except Econs is on that list, but of course Econs is highly desirable for the degree you want so do it.

I've heard that LSE desires Further Maths for Econs applicants but Cambridge has no preference on this.

I do not agree with macyscar- English lit is a challenging and serious analytical discipline and if you have the flair for it, go for it. You'll learn loads at AS and A level. I'm currently doing Duchess of Malfi and Measure for Measure for the play, John Milton's Paradise Lost for poetry and Beowulf, Brave New World and Goblin Market for my coursework (3000 words). It IS demanding, but go for it if you have the discipline, intelligence and interest.
Samuelcd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Yes, it is English Literature! I'll update the OP.

As for Further Maths - I like maths but not so much that I want half my day spent doing it! If I do go the economics route I doubt I would take a course that requires further maths as this might be a bit too maths-y for me.

Thanks for the replies so far.
391iady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Samuelcd)
Hi!

English
Maths
Economics
Geography

1.) Yes, if it's English Literature.
2.) Personal preference, but it does cover a lot of skills.
3.) Try looking at http://www.bestcourse4me.com/explore/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.85%
No (430)
66.15%

Watched Threads