The Student Room Group

Worried about poor grades in Year 12 mocks

Hello, I took my Y12 Mocks last week and today I came out with an E in Economics.

This shocked me because I actually studied for it, unlike most people in my school do for mocks, but I still came out with an extremely poor grade.

I got AA in the others, the last one is discarded as it was Coursework.

I got good GCSE grades and haven't gotten an E in my life so this has really surprised me.

I know Year 13 Mocks are the ones that matter but I can't stop thinking about this terrible grade.

The top grade in my class altogether was a D. The top grade in our year was a C. My school isn't outstanding but it is nowhere near this poor.

I blame the dreadful grade down to poor structure rather than poor knowledge.

My question is, Is poor grades around brand new subjects common before the actual exam?

I have friends who have taken Law and Psychology mocks and the amount of U's were ridiculous.

I know TSR is full of Book Worms but for any 'normal' people out there, have any of you suffered a terrible grade and redeemed yourself in a short amount of time?
Reply 1
I'm in year 12 and although I haven't actually taken my mocks yet (revising my butt off right now) I wouldn't worry about it, since they are only mocks and at least you know how to improve for the exam. I'm sure as long as you put in the work required you'll come out with the grade you want, so I suppose for you you can work on structure? Hope this makes you feel better :smile:
Original post by Stevie.B
I'm in year 12 and although I haven't actually taken my mocks yet (revising my butt off right now) I wouldn't worry about it, since they are only mocks and at least you know how to improve for the exam. I'm sure as long as you put in the work required you'll come out with the grade you want, so I suppose for you you can work on structure? Hope this makes you feel better :smile:

As simple as it is it kind of does. Thanks man.
Hmmm that is kind of odd as if you are getting good grades i.e. AA in other subjects but an E in Economics?
Could it be the way your teacher teaches? Are they teaching all requirement of the exams board?

Brand new subject, What do you mean by this?
Though Economics is not as old as the traditional three (Eng, Maths, Sciences)
It is not that new either, have been around for several years.

Did you get back the mock people and find out what was the cause of the low marks?
Like what you missed out etc?

Im also doing Economics at college, but Im getting A-Bs...

Oh talking about suffering bad grades. Indeed I did.
I was getting D-Es in a few test of Biology during the winter term of 2013, a whole term of failing which my teacher worried a lot. It was pretty saddening but now I have set up a revision routine and revise every so often and now Im back on track.

Quick Reply

Latest