Getting to Oxbridge. Private or State School for A Levels?

Watch
Azzer11
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am in the process of choosing where to go to do my A levels which will set me up for going to University. I am currently at a normal comprehensive school where I am among the highest achievers in the school. My question is, would I have a better bet at getting into Oxbridge by staying where I am and take my A levels where I will likely get some of the highest grades in the school or go to a private grammar school where I will probably get better grades but won't stand out as much? Thanks in advance
Super199
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Azzer11)
I am in the process of choosing where to go to do my A levels which will set me up for going to University. I am currently at a normal comprehensive school where I am among the highest achievers in the school. My question is, would I have a better bet at getting into Oxbridge by staying where I am and take my A levels where I will likely get some of the highest grades in the school or go to a private grammar school where I will probably get better grades but won't stand out as much? Thanks in advance
I am applying to go to a grammar school for sixth form. The reason for this is I believe I will not reach my potential at a state school due to the students and some teachers. Well I think if someone got A*A*A at a state school compared to someone at a grammar school then the individual from the state school would be in a better situation. Depends really but I would opt for the grammar school, it's better to get good A-levels rather than mediocre ones because you went to a state school.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Private school. More for the interview coaching than A Level grades though.
Doyvla
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Stats show more private school students in proportion get in. However if the state school is seen as 'outstanding' and the private has a lower ofsted record follow that. A good student can get in wherever they go - it's just a lot harder.
lauramercier
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is a rather large (and apparently very well respected!) private school near me, this year, none of the sixth formers got into Oxbridge and haven't heard of many getting into LSE/Warwick etc. At my state sixth form this year, we had two Cambridge students, three Warwick students, a dentistry student at Edinburgh, Physics at Manchester and Sheffield, Pharmacy at Nottingham, Law at Leeds and loads of other RG students, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield etc so I just think it depends on the mindset of the student too. Nothing held us back and we're from a 'deprived' area too Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be honest if you have the opportunity to go to a good private school then you're lucky and should make the most of that opportunity, it'll be much easier to get very high grades at a private school. I'm sceptical about how much difference the contextual data makes.

I went to a good private school for years 7-11 but decided to change to a state GFE college that had never sent anyone to Oxbridge before, so if you're good enough you get in irrespective of your school but choosing to go to a state 6th form in the hope it'll make you stand out is wasting a good opportunity and just making life harder for yourself.
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You will have a better chance from a private school. Stats show a much larger proportion get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are lots of factors in this decision - how good is the grammar schhol vs how good is the comp? How happy are you at your current school and on a personal level, do you want to move or not?

All other factors being equal though, I'd go for the school where you are more likely to get the necessary good results: the grammar.
username1042689
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I go to private, and trust me, being in a school full of people who are as ambitious as you are is SO helpful - plus the teaching is better and I've met such amazing people here Don't go because they'll coach you for the interviews or even because they'll get you better grades (because Oxbridge will know that and take it into account when they process your application) - go because it's a much better environment to learn in; I legitimately think that's a big part of the reason private school people tend to do better.
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Private school, I worked extremely hard in a state school and didn't get an offer

go figure
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'll go somewhat against the grain and say if you're someone who mostly teaches themselves, does very well, and it's unlikely going to a private school, with more support and better teaching, is going to make you do better you can be better off going to a state school. Situation is highly hypothetical though and isn't really straightforward without hindsight.
x__justmyluck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Robbie242)
Private school, I worked extremely hard in a state school and didn't get an offer

go figure
Are you joining the 'Oxbridge are against state school applicants' bandwagon or accepting that many excellent candidates from both state and private schools didn't get in because there are limited places?
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by x__justmyluck)
Are you joining the 'Oxbridge are against state school applicants' bandwagon or accepting that many excellent candidates from both state and private schools didn't get in because there are limited places?
They aren't against state school applicants

but very low down state schools do a piss poor job of preparing you for Oxbridge, so best to be secure in a private school rather than risk it at a state school
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

go figure
Lots of people work very hard and don't get in. If 2 applicants, one state school and one private school, get the same grades than the uni will favour the state school applicant as it's more difficult to get top grades from there.

TBH, it's a bit pathetic to blame your failure on your school. Take responsibility for your own shortcomings.
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They aren't against state school applicants

but very low down state schools do a piss poor job of preparing you for Oxbridge, so best to be secure in a private school rather than risk it at a state school
Without trying to be offensive, you were aware that your chances weren't great (as per the discussion we had in the thread you posted earlier last year) with a string of resits and sub-90% UMS scores in maths.
Azzer11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Yeah the only reason I'm even considering staying at my current school is that if Oxbridge see that you excel in comparison to your peers at your school that will boost your chances greatly so I've heard.
Solivagant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

go figure
I didn't work very hard in a state school and got an offer.

:smug:
x__justmyluck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah the only reason I'm even considering staying at my current school is that if Oxbridge see that you excel in comparison to your peers at your school that will boost your chances greatly so I've heard.
It will not boost them 'greatly' if you were borderline you would be more likely to be asked to interview if you went to a bad school.
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Noble.)
Without trying to be offensive, you were aware that your chances weren't great (as per the discussion we had in the thread you posted earlier last year) with a string of resits and sub-90% UMS scores in maths.
I was aware of this
I am not blaming Oxbridge
I am not saying that I was good enough for Oxbridge
All I am saying is that my school didn't prepare me for anything, the best support centre we had was the UCAS advisor who used to be a student at churchill college... this helped when it came to the PS, reference etc but when it actually came down to securing the grades I failed to achieve my full potential... the STEP preparation at my school is piss poor/non-existent... the only sub 90% UMS score was S1, which really shouldn't be important. Also I only resat 1 history exam and shown considerable improvement from the resit
flipflap99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if you wish to go cambridge id say private school for sure
for oxford, i think state wouldnt be bad
i went to a decent private school, and we had some foul luck with oxford this year with well over 20 applicants, and 2 offers of which one was international and one had exenuating circumstances, and i think some incredibly solid applicants got unlucky. one medic with 9a*s and a bmat above 16 got rejected pre interview at oxford sheerly because they interview people with exenuating circumstances and have a fixed quota for interview (she asked and genuinely got this response)
that being said youll be far more likely to get better grades and coaching at a private school and the mindset may be more determined and work focussed (I haven't been to a state school, I don't know but this is merely the impression I get from friends at state schools)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
15.03%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (98)
32.03%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.42%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.98%

Watched Threads