Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!
    Basically, I'm consistently getting B grades in my RS essays, and am really struggling to improve! My advice is always the generic 'include more quotes' or 'refer to the question', which I am building on - however, I really struggle with how to go about structuring the answers.
    In my class, we've done nothing about HOW to answer, only the content of the answers.

Like, I don't know whether I'm even meant to do an introduction or conclusion? And am I meant to analyse and evaluate? In both parts of the question or what?!

I've looked at the mark scheme, but it is so vague, that it doesn't really help.

Thanks so much for your time!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! My name is Amy and I am currently doing Religious Studies A2 at my sixth form.
    They didn't really teach us how to structure our essays either, which is pretty stupid because it's like the most important thing!:confused:

Anyway, what I tend to do is find the key term/phrase in the question and discuss what it could mean or what it does actually mean. For example, I wrote an essay yesterday and the question was something like "'I cannot survive death.' Assess this claim." and I had to explain and evaluate what the 'I' could mean to different philosophers, etc.

As for the structure, the first question is always A01 (key knowledge, basically what you know about the subject) and the second is always A02 (evaluation, strengths and weakness, usefulness of the theory/arguments). Also, try to use the PER structure more often as it seems to me that this would help to adjust to your feedback. Propose a point, Explain the point, Relate it back to the question. Yes, you will need a conclusion which basically sums up and answers the question you've been asked directly!

And I'd just like to say, I'm not expert when it comes to this, it's just what I do as it makes sense to follow the logical process during an exam as to not ramble! Hope I helped!

-Amy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyK-xo)
    Hi! My name is Amy and I am currently doing Religious Studies A2 at my sixth form.
    They didn't really teach us how to structure our essays either, which is pretty stupid because it's like the most important thing!:confused:

Anyway, what I tend to do is find the key term/phrase in the question and discuss what it could mean or what it does actually mean. For example, I wrote an essay yesterday and the question was something like "'I cannot survive death.' Assess this claim." and I had to explain and evaluate what the 'I' could mean to different philosophers, etc.

As for the structure, the first question is always A01 (key knowledge, basically what you know about the subject) and the second is always A02 (evaluation, strengths and weakness, usefulness of the theory/arguments). Also, try to use the PER structure more often as it seems to me that this would help to adjust to your feedback. Propose a point, Explain the point, Relate it back to the question. Yes, you will need a conclusion which basically sums up and answers the question you've been asked directly!

And I'd just like to say, I'm not expert when it comes to this, it's just what I do as it makes sense to follow the logical process during an exam as to not ramble! Hope I helped!

-Amy.
    Thanks, that's actually helped loads! I never knew the questions were different AOs, but that actually makes a lot of sense! I feel a lot more comfortable now knowing that a structure does actually exist!
    I always feel like the 30 mark question a is just ramble, but I think by making it into neat paragraphs, that'll help a lot!

Thanks so much!! :2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l:

What topics did you do at AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polecat)
    Thanks, that's actually helped loads! I never knew the questions were different AOs, but that actually makes a lot of sense! I feel a lot more comfortable now knowing that a structure does actually exist!
    I always feel like the 30 mark question a is just ramble, but I think by making it into neat paragraphs, that'll help a lot!

Thanks so much!! :2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l:

What topics did you do at AS?
    Please use the 'Private Messaging' feature provided by the site, for off-topic conversations.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome! xD

I did Ethics with one teacher and Philosophy with another. We did just the basic theories and application to the use of embyros in Ethics and in Philosophy we did Quantum Mechanics, The Design Argument and Miracles from what I remember. (My memory is awful, I swear.)

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Please use the 'Private Messaging' feature provided by the site, for off-topic conversations.
    Erm, the title is AQA AS Religious Studies? And I was asking because if the topics were the same as mine, we'd have more to talk about structure-wise.

You're welcome! xD

I did Ethics with one teacher and Philosophy with another. We did just the basic theories and application to the use of embyros in Ethics and in Philosophy we did Quantum Mechanics, The Design Argument and Miracles from what I remember. (My memory is awful, I swear.)

What about you?
    Ah, cool! So far, I've done natural law, Kant, situation ethics and utilitarianism. They are such broad topics and the questions are ridiculously broad too, which is one of the main reasons I struggle with actually answering the questions. Did you do a lot of essay writing practice before the exam last year, or did you focus more on the content?

ReputationRep:
    Our school does medical ethics this year which includes Kant, Natural Law, Situation Ethics, Utilitarianism. But last year, we focused more on religious ways of moral decision making. C:

Yeah, we did a few essays as homework and we had mock exams in order to see what we needed to do to improve etc. But we focused more on the content in the majority of the classes. We'd often play stupid games my teacher made up to remember the information, xD

ReputationRep:
    Our school does medical ethics this year which includes Kant, Natural Law, Situation Ethics, Utilitarianism. But last year, we focused more on religious ways of moral decision making. C:

Yeah, we did a few essays as homework and we had mock exams in order to see what we needed to do to improve etc. But we focused more on the content in the majority of the classes. We'd often play stupid games my teacher made up to remember the information, xD
    Amy, do you know where I can find some A-A* answers to the first and second question or do you have any that you have done? I'm doing Ethics 1 and Philosophy of Religion AS but as a distant learner.

So far your answer about the exam structure has been the most useful thing I have found on Religious Studies. I can't find anything!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2014

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.