The Student Room Group

What do student loans cover?!

new to uni..
but would your student loan help pay for a macbook for example?
Reply 1
11inch basic macbook air is 720 quid with student discount and they give you £70 gift voucher.

i don't know how much student loan and/or grant you're getting but it's probably more than 720
Depends on how lucky you are... I get the absolute minimum loan and get less than £100 after paying my accommodation so I couldn't afford it. Some other people get an extra 3k or whatever so yeah, then you would be able to.
Original post by Rubyblushh
new to uni..

You get two student loans: one for tuition fees (which you never see - it's paid directly to your uni) and one for maintenance, which is paid into your bank account, in cash. You may also get a maintenance grant from the government and bursaries from your uni. If you want to see how much you'd get from the government, use this http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153,4680136&_dad=portal Bursaries vary by uni and details can be found on each unis website.

You can spend the cash on what you like - but it's a question of whether or not you can afford to pay for things like rent and food on top of a laptop. In my experience, the answer is that you'd have to save up for a while.
Moved to Student Financial Support :smile:
Reply 5
If you have the money left over, sure.

My maintenance loan will only cover like 75% of the accommodation costs.
Reply 6
Original post by Rubyblushh
new to uni..

Your Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant (if you qualify for it) are paid direct to you. You can spend it on whatever you like. However many people find that they don't get enough to pay their rent and bills, and don't have spare left over for things like laptops.

Unless your parents are giving you additional money, I'd start saving now and not assume that you'll have enough "spare" SF to buy big extras.
Reply 7
How long does can you get a student loan? Like if i do a 6 year medical course, can i get a 6 year loan?
Original post by adam_dewji
How long does can you get a student loan? Like if i do a 6 year medical course, can i get a 6 year loan?

You get the full length of your course paid for (so you could even intercalate and do 7 years), with one extra year available for things like dropping out and restarting or having to repeat a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Origami Bullets
You get the full length of your course paid for (so you could even intercalate and do 7 years), with one extra year available for things like dropping out and restarting or having to repeat a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay thank you! I read somewhere 5 years was the max and started to panic :smile:
Ahh okay thank you! I read somewhere 5 years was the max and started to panic :smile:

Lots of silly things get bandied around about the maximum number of years you can get student finance for, but what I said is correct :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Lots of silly things get bandied around about the maximum number of years you can get student finance for, but what I said is correct :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! :biggrin:

I believe the NHS bursary kicks in after 4th Year.

It'll actually leave me worse off maintenance loan-wise if things stay the same, but that's a different matter.

The formula is length of course + 1 - previous years study.

Quick Reply

Latest