username1308327
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi

I am 'technically' in first year, though I have been at the university previously (I did a foundation year) and I have lived in student halls before.

I am currently living in shared housing but looking into moving back close to campus.

First of all, how likely is it that I will be able to get back into University of Leeds accommodation? I know they often advertise for students to come back onto campus and I only know of a couple of people who went back, but what is the likelihood? Did you go back into accommodation?

Also, I am quite interested in Smaller Residences? Can anyone give their opinions on smaller residences? I am interested in some of the smaller residences, but I won't visit them myself until I've done my exams.
username1308327
Rep:
?
Anyone?
Toshiya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They normally open applications for 2nd/3rd/4th years that want to go back into halls around about this time. It's all on the accommodation section of the Leeds uni website. I'm a second year who currently lives in central village and I got a place even though for freshers its massively oversubscribed - if you apply for the accommodation early, you'll pretty much get your pick of where you want

As for the smaller residences, I have a friend who lives in one of the ones on Clarendon Place and it's really nice. The rent is reasonably cheap (a lot cheaper than mine at any rate), he has a HUGE room and the bathroom and kitchen is only shared between 3 which isn't too many people so thats good.
Lara5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm currently living in one of the smaller residences (Springfield Mount) so if you guys have any questions, just give me a shout!
I really want to apply for uni accommodation again next year! I'd love to live in Central Village (tried last year, but got a smaller residence instead) or even Leodis would do (a bit further away but still a good option).
ZolaCFC25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did a 3 year undergraduate degree straight from school, just taking a year off now and I am going back into Charles Morris (hopefully) next year for post-grad at 22. There is an option for returners to go back and it's generally quite easy as you are applying before the freshers (application starts 24th January). I got offered a room last year in a returners flat in Storm Jameson in Charles Morris and was going to take it until I decided to take a year off before and I am about to reapply.

I'm sure it will be the same case with smaller accommodation.

Hope that helps
username1308327
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toshiya)
They normally open applications for 2nd/3rd/4th years that want to go back into halls around about this time. It's all on the accommodation section of the Leeds uni website. I'm a second year who currently lives in central village and I got a place even though for freshers its massively oversubscribed - if you apply for the accommodation early, you'll pretty much get your pick of where you want

As for the smaller residences, I have a friend who lives in one of the ones on Clarendon Place and it's really nice. The rent is reasonably cheap (a lot cheaper than mine at any rate), he has a HUGE room and the bathroom and kitchen is only shared between 3 which isn't too many people so thats good.
I presume the house on Clarendon Road is between 8 people, as quite a lot of the smaller residences are...?

How does he feel about sharing with so many people? I am considering smaller residences (some of the rents are cheaper) but I don't think I can live with so many people... :-/ I am a bit of an introvert, plus I worry about dirt and mess.
username1308327
Rep:
?

Also, I would LOVE to live in Central Village, but it's too expensive for me! I am so jealous of people who live there as it would be so ideal.
username1308327
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lara5)
I'm currently living in one of the smaller residences (Springfield Mount) so if you guys have any questions, just give me a shout!
I really want to apply for uni accommodation again next year! I'd love to live in Central Village (tried last year, but got a smaller residence instead) or even Leodis would do (a bit further away but still a good option).
Hey

Last academic year I lived in Montague Burton, which is further up from Leodis and 7 minutes away from Parkinson.

I had a couple of friends who lived in Leodis last year they loved it! However, there is a rough area nearby.

I'd like to know about Springfield Mount What is it like? How many people typically live there? How have you found it? How much do you pay per week?
ZolaCFC25
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

(Original post by kittykatxoxo)
Also, I would LOVE to live in Central Village, but it's too expensive for me! I am so jealous of people who live there as it would be so ideal.
Never seen central village properly. How do you think it compares to Charles Morris and do you know if post-grads/returners can live there?
Lara5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I presume the house on Clarendon Road is between 8 people, as quite a lot of the smaller residences are...?

How does he feel about sharing with so many people? I am considering smaller residences (some of the rents are cheaper) but I don't think I can live with so many people... :-/ I am a bit of an introvert, plus I worry about dirt and mess.
Not all residences are shared between 8 people. They range from 5 to 21 (if I'm not mistaken).

Hey

Last academic year I lived in Montague Burton, which is further up from Leodis and 7 minutes away from Parkinson.

I had a couple of friends who lived in Leodis last year they loved it! However, there is a rough area nearby.

I'd like to know about Springfield Mount What is it like? How many people typically live there? How have you found it? How much do you pay per week?
Springfield Mount is in a great location! You're right on campus, close to the student union, the gym, there are libraries all over the place... it's great! All Springfield Mount residences (as far as I can tell) are shared between 6 people (2 bathrooms in each flat of 6). Some are single sex while others are mixed. The rent goes from £97 to £100 pw.
username1308327
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lara5)
Not all residences are shared between 8 people. They range from 5 to 21 (if I'm not mistaken).

Springfield Mount is in a great location! You're right on campus, close to the student union, the gym, there are libraries all over the place... it's great! All Springfield Mount residences (as far as I can tell) are shared between 6 people (2 bathrooms in each flat of 6). Some are single sex while others are mixed. The rent goes from £97 to £100 pw.
What about the quality of housing? Is the house nice, or have you had major issues with it.
username1308327
Rep:
?
(Original post by BCcfc92)

Never seen central village properly. How do you think it compares to Charles Morris and do you know if post-grads/returners can live there?
I think both are ideal as they are both on campus. You can go back there in later years but I don't know about post-grads.
ZolaCFC25
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think both are ideal as they are both on campus. You can go back there in later years but I don't know about post-grads.
Weird that I've never had a good look at Central Village. Probably because it's more towards the city/just off campus. I think I count as a returner even though i'll be a post-grad as I did my UGD at Leeds. Think I'll apply to Charles Morris first... closer to law building and catered. Both close to gym. But parking only at Central Village which is annoying!
Lara5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What about the quality of housing? Is the house nice, or have you had major issues with it.
Not at all. Every time we have an issue (Like the time our microwave got broken) they respond right away (our brand new microwave arrived the next morning!).
Tbh the ONLY reason I'm not staying here again next year is because I want an en-suite room. That's the only reason really. It's a good accommodation. I'd totally recommend it!
MirrorMirror
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey I have had a few horror experiences with some Landlords in Leeds (who just don't give two ****s that the heating broke in WINTER!!!), the one I am currently with Express-Lets are reeeaaallllyy good so we're all staying on next year!! Happy hunting, if you want any advice let me know
Toshiya
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Yeah I think there's 8 of them. 3 on ground floor, 2 on the middle and 3 on the top.
Well, he never sees the people not on his floor. The top floor kitchen and bathroom are only for the top floor rooms. In reality, it's like having 3 self-contained flats in one house!

In reply to your other point - it's INCREDIBLY expensive, don't be too jealous!! I love it for the fact its close to campus but I'm wishing I went into a smaller residence to be honest, just for the fact that I think my friend's rent is over £1000 per year cheaper than mine and the location is even more convenient than mine - round the corner from the union and a bit closer to my department!
username1308327
Rep:
?
Another question:

My friend and I are considering going back into University of Leeds accommodation - we are considering living in smaller residences.

I lived in Montague Burton last year for my foundation year, and I currently live in shared housing.

My friend currently lives in Lupton at the moment, and he lived their for his foundation year.

Considering that my friend has already lived in university accommodation for the second time already, what are the chance of him going again for the third time?
Loobyloobylu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lara5)
I have many questions!
What are your flatmates like? Is it mainly overseas and mature students? (see my thread )

xx
Lara5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Loobyloobylu)
I have many questions!
What are your flatmates like? Is it mainly overseas and mature students? (see my thread )

xx
Well, there are 2 separate flats in my residence. One is for mature students (both English and international students) and the other flat is for international students only. I'm not sure they follow the same setting every year or not... so it might be different next year.
Toshiya
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Another question:

My friend and I are considering going back into University of Leeds accommodation - we are considering living in smaller residences.

I lived in Montague Burton last year for my foundation year, and I currently live in shared housing.

My friend currently lives in Lupton at the moment, and he lived their for his foundation year.

Considering that my friend has already lived in university accommodation for the second time already, what are the chance of him going again for the third time?
Same chance as anyone if you apply by the deadline!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads