Is it ever ok to steal someone's boyfriend/girlfriend (POLL)?

Watch
Poll: Is it ever ok to steal someone's girlfriend/boyfriend?
Yes (13)
23.64%
No (37)
67.27%
Unsure (5)
9.09%
EllieC130
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So, I will first make it clear, I'm not in this situation thank god. But yesterday there was a thread about this girl wanting to steal another girl's boyfriend because the the girl thought she was more attractive than the girlfriend. Now I, like most people, thought this was wrong. But it got me to thinking; is it ok in other circumstances?

To be clear, this is just a discussion; I'm just interested to see people's views. Generally I think it's not ok but perhaps their are exceptional cases.
Alpha brah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, of course not :eyebrow: It's called morals. No offence.
Scott.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well what did the last thread say?....

Posted from TSR Mobile
username447608
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No there are thousands of single people out there go for them. I hate it when people say oh but you cant help you fall in love with you, you don't let those feelings develop full stop
Alpha brah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SillyMilly)
No there are thousands of single people out there go for them. I hate it when people say oh but you cant help you fall in love with you, you don't let those feelings develop full stop
Exactly! I reckon that (for the most part) you can't help whom you fancy. But you can help what you do about it! :yep:
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely not. There are some girls who seem to do this as some form of sport, and it's absolutely disgusting.
Little Wolf Taima
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends in how happy either of them seem to be in their relationship and whether you view a spouse as property to be stolen?

My irst love was unrequited and he dated all my friends who 'stole' him from eachother but all treated him bad and they had a rough time ugh ring whilst I was just there to patch them both up, deny my own feelings and get them to make up instead. After 4 ****ing years my turn came and waited a whole year of him being single for him to finally notice me. (irritatingly he only takes interest when I finally get a boyfriend and can start to learn to live without him) So I did not steal him, but he wandered to me. I wonder if being someone's rebound counts? I think I almost regret building him up to the point he felt ready to properly date again then when he had the confidence went back to his ex... But if to I want to talk about owning people I think I still hold sway over him. I feel for her, but as I Love him also I am mad at the way she treated him to make him leave her and geeky no guilt about seeing him whilst they were broken up. Only annoyed I helped him get back in the game XD wait, thats worse.. I should be happy for him, not jealous..,
Boogaloo_Shrimp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In my opinion, it is wrong and its never "OK" to do something like that.
However, to the people saying "you dont let those feelings develop" its not always that simple. You can't help your feelings. You're only in the wrong if you act on your feelings.
buchanan700
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No it's not. If you're unhappy, break it off, don't cheat. No excuses. As for the 'other person' , you are every bit as culpable as the boy/girlfriend. I was cheated on and I hate that stupid ***** every bit as much as him.
95winoj
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
there's no justification for cheating. have some integrity and human decency please.
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, it's never acceptable.
ArtGoblin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's OK as long as it is not a friend's partner. I don't see it as anyone's responsibility to ensure that they don't tempt someone else's partner - if their partner can be 'stolen' then the person with the partner is in the wrong, not the one doing the 'stealing'. People are not property - I don't believe that you can take someone else's partner. They can choose to cheat on you which is wrong, but the other person is not in the wrong.
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I guess I've kind of done this, but it was pretty unusual circumstances. Firstly, she was already cheating on this guy with my friend (yeah, I know, great choice of infactuation), secondly she was massively leading me on. Most people will say no, but it's easier said than done.
Alpha brah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ArtGoblin)
It's OK as long as it is not a friend's partner. I don't see it as anyone's responsibility to ensure that they don't tempt someone else's partner - if their partner can be 'stolen' then the person with the partner is in the wrong, not the one doing the 'stealing'. People are not property - I don't believe that you can take someone else's partner. They can choose to cheat on you which is wrong, but the other person is not in the wrong.
No it's not. I agree that the partner is also in the wrong by cheating, but encouraging someone to cheat is also a bad thing.

How on earth is the person with the partner in the wrong? What are they meant to do, tie their partner up or prevent them from having friends of hte opposite sex? :lolwut:
ArtGoblin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alpha brah)
No it's not. I agree that the partner is also in the wrong by cheating, but encouraging someone to cheat is also a bad thing.

How on earth is the person with the partner in the wrong? What are they meant to do, tie their partner up or prevent them from having friends of hte opposite sex? :lolwut:
Why? If you've got a partner then you shouldn't be cheating, even if someone is tempting you. You have no responsibility towards that person's partner - they have to take all the responsibility if they cheat.

By "person with the partner" I meant the one who is cheating, not the one who has been cheated on!
Alpha brah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why? If you've got a partner then you shouldn't be cheating, even if someone is tempting you. You have no responsibility towards that person's partner - they have to take all the responsibility if they cheat.

By "person with the partner" I meant the one who is cheating, not the one who has been cheated on!
I agree that obviously the person in a relationship shouldn't cheat, but IMHO the person encouraging them is just as bad if they know. Granted, they aren't in a relationship, but they still have a responsibility to be decent even to complete strangers. I'd say that, if they know the other person is in a relationship, then yes they too are responsible. Whether they're as responsible is a matter of debate.

Oops, mah bad
Pariah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if the partner is easily stolen then that says something about the original relationship...

it's a bit ****ty but, hey, **** happens
Riku
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think yes if the relationship is so unstable that it involves physical or emotional abuse but then you have the problem of being the 'fixer' of drama which is another kettle of fish…and of course, best just to tell the police if it's that serious

In most cases, hell no.
GottaLovePhysics! :)
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im surprised how many people are saying "no".

If my girlfriend was in a relationship when I met her, I would have done all I could to show I loved her more, I wouldnt just go "Oh shes perfect for me but she is with someone".
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think the other person is totally innocent, but I do agree with this. "Steal" shouldn't be used as a term here. You steal objects, things that can't think for themselves, not adult humans. I would say "is it wrong to pursue someone else's partner?", and I think that depends on how you doing. Just a little flirting, and giving them that option, isn't really wrong. Trying to initiate kissing/sex would be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (90)
13.95%
I'm not sure (30)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (205)
31.78%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.17%
I'm not a current university student (306)
47.44%

Watched Threads