The Student Room Group

ACA accounting or University? Please help.

So basically, I am 21 years old with not much going on for myself. I have one A level (A in my language and that's it. I have the GCSE's (A's in Maths, English Lang+Lit, French and my language).

I tried doing an Access course this year but the subject itself wasn't for me so I quit half way through. I've been thinking about what to do lately and have decided to go for a businessy type degree.

I have looked at the AAT-ACA Accounting Course, does anyone know of this? It looks promising but I am worried that future employers will look for people with actual University degrees. Now I have two options as far as I am concerned. Thanks to financial backing, I could go to an independent college from September and do a 1 year intensive Maths and Further Maths course (Maths is one of my better subjects) and then go to University or to just start on this AAT-ACA fast track accounting course. I have heard people tell me not to go to University and others who have told me going to University is so much better. Does anyone have any advice they can give me/experience on this AAT-ACA course?

As I am 21 years old, I am not sure if I should do a year doing an A level course, then 3 years at University, where I will be 25 years old and then 26 if I want to do a Masters, or to just do this ACA course. I have seen the average wage on the ACA course is decent but is it trustworthy?
I'd recommend if you're looking for a high, trustworthy wage to go the University route but look for placement years. Not only will you recieve your education, but you'll gain experience in your chosen field. It'll help you alot more when looking for a job at the end of it :smile:.
Good luck whichever way you decide to go though!
Reply 2
Well I am pretty sure I want to go into accounting. It looks like something I would be good at and enjoy and the money isn't too bad either. From what I know, graduates would have to go on the same course as me as well so I am just thinking...
Original post by mickstar813
Well I am pretty sure I want to go into accounting. It looks like something I would be good at and enjoy and the money isn't too bad either. From what I know, graduates would have to go on the same course as me as well so I am just thinking...

If an employer had your cv (post course) to a cv of a graduate, who's been to University and completed the course you're doing and has had experience in accounting via. a placement, it's very likely the graduate would have the higher chance of getting the job. If you don't go to university and do the fast track course, I'd recommend to see if you can get some work experience to go alongside it :smile:. Plus, if you go the college to University route, it might better prepare you for the accounting course.
Do 3alevels (in the same period) then try getting on a headstart programme with an accounting firm (they train alevel students from AAT to ACA) if you don’t then you could the ACCA but make sure you have a job in accounts first. The ACCA also gives you the option to gain a degree after Part2 with Oxford Brookes. However this will exclude you from most grad schemes and you will in most cases only be able to join one of the known firms as an experienced hire.

Alternatively there is the traditional degree route, I’d opt for economics instead of an accounts/finance degree as it gives you more options/more respected, you have more to bring to the table than just accounts. Degree route opens you to grad schemes (provided you have the relevant UCAS points).
Doing the maths and further maths A Levels sounds like a really good idea whichever route you take afterwards. Three A levels make you a far more credible applicant, whether that's for university, training schemes or a job. Your other grades are really good: you just need more of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending