Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by W. H. Auden)
I'm studying... English Literature, English Language, History

I'm interested in... Good books
Good afternoon W.H.Auden!

A very formal name and picture you have there! How is everything?

Did you know that for any study help, you can browse the different TSR forums and get involved with TSRians from around the world! . There are individual subject forums too - check it out: English and History! Let me know what you think

Give me a shout if you have any questions! For now, good luck and Welcome to The Student Room! :wavey:
AliS382
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Stop all the clocks, Wystan! My son is thinking of doing Eng Lit and Lang at A Level - are you enjoying it, or does it get a bit much doing so much English? Have you picked up any information about how Universities view the double English choice?
W. H. Auden
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Jeanlucpicard)
Good afternoon W.H.Auden!

A very formal name and picture you have there! How is everything?

Did you know that for any study help, you can browse the different TSR forums and get involved with TSRians from around the world! . There are individual subject forums too - check it out: English and History! Let me know what you think

Give me a shout if you have any questions! For now, good luck and Welcome to The Student Room! :wavey:
Thank you

(Original post by AliS382)
Stop all the clocks, Wystan! My son is thinking of doing Eng Lit and Lang at A Level - are you enjoying it, or does it get a bit much doing so much English? Have you picked up any information about how Universities view the double English choice?
Hello! (Cut off the telephone!)

I think the only prerequisite your son needs to have to survive both English Literature and English Language A-Levels is to really love reading! Because your son is going to be doing a lot of it. Fortunately I do!

I have heard that some students find it hard to differentiate from Lit terminology and Lang terminology when writing essays (using Lit in Lang and vice versa) but personally I didn't find this. May I ask what is your son's third/fourth A-Level is? Having a Maths or Science is a nice break from the constant essay writing (something I didn't consider myself when choosing A-Levels).

Regarding universities, I don't think there is any problem with doing both, at least not with the universities I've applied to. I'm currently doing A2 and have got through to the interview stage at Oxford and received an offer from Exeter and Durham to read English. If he doesn't want to read English at uni, then it might be a little superfluous taking both Lit and Lang, and I would advise taking only Lit as it's generally regarded as harder than Lang.
AliS382
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for all the info, very helpful! You're obviously v bright if you've got Oxford, Exeter and Durham - well done! Did you have a fourth subject to AS?

He wants to do the Cambridge Pre-U: Eng Lit and GPR (Global Perspectives and Independent Research) courses, in combination with Psychology and another. Initially the other was Biology, but he doesn't like the A2 syllabus, then Chemistry but as they're getting further into the course he's going off it(!), so now he thinks he wants to do Eng Lang instead. Lots of writing already with Eng Lit and Psych, I don't know much about the GPR course. It does worry me it will be too much, and it's a good point to have one to break it up. What though?! Possibly Business as he's considering Eng Lit or Business & Psychology at Uni. Would Eng Lang be better regarded than Business??
W. H. Auden
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by AliS382)
Thanks for all the info, very helpful! You're obviously v bright if you've got Oxford, Exeter and Durham - well done! Did you have a fourth subject to AS?

He wants to do the Cambridge Pre-U: Eng Lit and GPR (Global Perspectives and Independent Research) courses, in combination with Psychology and another. Initially the other was Biology, but he doesn't like the A2 syllabus, then Chemistry but as they're getting further into the course he's going off it(!), so now he thinks he wants to do Eng Lang instead. Lots of writing already with Eng Lit and Psych, I don't know much about the GPR course. It does worry me it will be too much, and it's a good point to have one to break it up. What though?! Possibly Business as he's considering Eng Lit or Business & Psychology at Uni. Would Eng Lang be better regarded than Business??
Thank you! I fancied myself as an artist, so I took Art for AS but then realised it ate up all my time - time that should be spent for reading!

I really don't know much at all about Pre-Us, so you'll have to excuse me with that one. All I can say is that if he's deciding between English Lit and Business & Psychology for a degree it's probably better to choose Business, as I assume that if he does choose to do B&P it will require Business(?) Whereas an English Literature degree doesn't require English Language. I think English Language and Business are about the same in terms of esteem. Ultimately though it comes down to what he wants to do for a degree and what he will enjoy. There's nothing worse than studying something you don't enjoy.
AliS382
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You don't actually need to have Business A2 to do Business - certainly not with Psych join hons. My daughter is just in the process of getting offers for Bus & Psych at Uni - which is where my son got the idea from! - and she's doing Eng, Hist and Psych. It might help I guess, but there must then be some repetition there. You're probably right that it comes down to doing something that he will enjoy as that's really important. Thanks v much for the thoughts.
AliS382
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
He's just now told me that he doesn't want to do the Psych/Business thing, he just wants to do English Lit. So perhaps Lang is the best choice after all...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (5)
33.33%
No - I have already returned home (2)
13.33%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (5)
33.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (0)
0%
No - I live at home during term anyway (3)
20%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed