Worthless qualifications? Have I made the right decision? Watch

LBurke1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I applied to study Business and Marketing at Kent. Unfortunately my grades were slightly below the admissions boundary so they offered me a place on a similar course instead (Business Administration). The major difference between the courses seems to be the type of degree they offer: The course I originally applied to was a BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration) and the course I've been accepted to is a BA (Bachelor of Arts).

I suppose what I'm asking is if this makes a major difference in the long run? Will having a BA degree seriously affect my chances of employment in my chosen field after Uni? What about postgrad courses?

Thanks in advance
Hanover
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LBurke1)
I applied to study Business and Marketing at Kent. Unfortunately my grades were slightly below the admissions boundary so they offered me a place on a similar course instead (Business Administration). The major difference between the courses seems to be the type of degree they offer: The course I originally applied to was a BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration) and the course I've been accepted to is a BA (Bachelor of Arts).

I suppose what I'm asking is if this makes a major difference in the long run? Will having a BA degree seriously affect my chances of employment in my chosen field after Uni? What about postgrad courses?

Thanks in advance
All degrees are equally good, however, they are different:

Bachelor of Science (BSc):
Strong mathematical, analytical, numerical background.

Bachelor of Arts (BA):
More general, less Maths but more theoretical contents.

Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA):
Very application-oriented, you study things that you can practically use at work.

Business Administration at Kent is clearly not a worthless degree!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Instead of fretting about 'degree titles', have a look at the content of the courses - is the other course what you want to study for three years despite the lack of Marketing as a component?
LBurke1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
There is a small marketing module at some point but I'm not sure how extensive it will be. Will I be able to pursue marketing despite this?
TheBigJosh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lesson in life: ensure you work hard enough to get your grades!
As a previous poster said, look at the course content for what you have been placed on, is this what you want to spend ten of thousands of pounds on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads