The Student Room Group

How to split up with my girlfriend who is currently abroad. Advice needed!

Hi. I really need some advice.

Okay so, background information. My girlfriend and I have been together since we were 15, and we're now 21. We don't argue much at all, and never have, but over the last 18 months or so, my feelings towards her have changed, and she doesn't know. She's currently half way through spending a year abroad in Europe.

I never thought I'd be in this situation. I still love her, naturally, but I see our relationship as friends rather than lovers. As I say, I've felt like this for sometime but I haven't told her as I didn't want her to be upset. She was really worried about going away to Europe, so I was supportive of her and reassured her that everything would be alright. She is happy where she is but she often messages me to say she misses me, and that she loves me, and in truth, I can't honestly reply to say the same. It makes me feel so guilty because she has done absolutely nothing wrong, I've simply fallen out of love with her and I see no future for us.

I'm supposed to be going to see my girlfriend next month for a weekend, and the advice I have been given is to tell her how I feel there and then. The advice came from my mum and another trusted friend, who both noticed before my girlfriend went away that things are not right between us.

I know I need to be honest with her, but I know when I tell her, it will break her heart. I still care about her as a friend, so I don't want her to be any more upset than necessary. In the long term I know that it will be better for both of us, and it's eating away at me more and more each day. I need to tell her as gently as possible.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? And, what would you suggest I do?

:confused:
just a thought, but are you sure you've fallen out of love with your girlfriend, or is it just that you've never been in a long distance relationship before? If your not used to it LDR can be tough, and when you don't see your girlfriend for 6 months, I can see how you would forget how much you love her.

Personally, when my girlfriend went abroad for a gap year and I didn't see her for like 4 months it was the worst time in our relationship. We both found it really difficult and nearly broke up over it because it was such a different dynamic. But when she got back everything returned to normality.
Exactly what the above has said. It has happened to us too, and we've nearly split up, only to realise after meeting up again that it'd have been the worst mistake!

But because you're saying you've lost feelings for your girlfriend even before she went abroad, it complicates things because if you tell her that she might feel that all this time you weren't honest with her and breaking up now after 18 months would be a lot more hurtful than had you done before. Anyway, what's gone is gone; you gotta focus on her now and how much you really like her.

Meet up with her first, with a completely open mind. Don't go meeting her with the mindset that you're going to break up with her. If the meeting up doesn't go as well as you'd thought/ or it reaffirms your conceptions that you are actually falling out of love with her, then it's best you tell her then.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
just a thought, but are you sure you've fallen out of love with your girlfriend, or is it just that you've never been in a long distance relationship before?

Exactly what the above has said. It has happened to us too, and we've nearly split up, only to realise after meeting up again that it'd have been the worst mistake!

I've been thinking about this since before she went away. This is completely separate to the Year Abroad. In truth, and I know I shouldn't be thinking this way, I was kind of glad when she left to go on her year abroad.

I still care about her, but as a friend. I just need some advice as to the best way to break her heart gently, if you see what I mean.
I've been in your girlfriend's position. Before I went to Germany our relationship was good in so far as we got on well, could talk to each other and have a laugh, but the spark had gone - at least from his perspective, especially as he was starting to have feelings for a mutual female friend.

He was very distant with me while I was away, and I don't just mean geographically, I could tell he wasn't that bothered about keeping in contact with me. That meant I felt l lonely and nearly cheated on him once (had the opportunity, was tempted, but didn't). I suspect he might have done though.... Anyway, he broke up with me a few weeks after I got back and I really wished he had done it sooner so that I could have enjoyed my time abroad, rather than missing him and feeling pathetic.

Just be honest with her ASAP. Trust me, it's like ripping off a plaster.
I suspect that if you tell her, she will probably assume you have cheated on her whilst she has been away.

I think you should meet up, as a poster above suggested, with a completely open mind and see how you feel when you see her. That will tell you what you need to do.

If you definitely don't want to be with her after that then I would say it would be kinder to both of you if you told her the truth.
Reply 6
Hi. I really need some advice.

Okay so, background information. My girlfriend and I have been together since we were 15, and we're now 21. We don't argue much at all, and never have, but over the last 18 months or so, my feelings towards her have changed, and she doesn't know. She's currently half way through spending a year abroad in Europe.

I never thought I'd be in this situation. I still love her, naturally, but I see our relationship as friends rather than lovers. As I say, I've felt like this for sometime but I haven't told her as I didn't want her to be upset. She was really worried about going away to Europe, so I was supportive of her and reassured her that everything would be alright. She is happy where she is but she often messages me to say she misses me, and that she loves me, and in truth, I can't honestly reply to say the same. It makes me feel so guilty because she has done absolutely nothing wrong, I've simply fallen out of love with her and I see no future for us.

I'm supposed to be going to see my girlfriend next month for a weekend, and the advice I have been given is to tell her how I feel there and then. The advice came from my mum and another trusted friend, who both noticed before my girlfriend went away that things are not right between us.

I know I need to be honest with her, but I know when I tell her, it will break her heart. I still care about her as a friend, so I don't want her to be any more upset than necessary. In the long term I know that it will be better for both of us, and it's eating away at me more and more each day. I need to tell her as gently as possible.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? And, what would you suggest I do?

:confused:

I suppose this isn't really the kind of promise you can realistically make.

Depends on how much she means to you. It will be expensive to fly out to see her but may mean something long term to her that you made the effort to speak to her face to face about this. You'll probably be glad long term that you did it this way. On the other hand can you afford it? Depending on where she is it may be extremely expensive to fly out to meet her, only to have to pay for somewhere else to stay overnight.
, assuming you'll need to stay overnight before a flight back. Practically it's tricky:redface: Good luck
Reply 7
I'd say that anything less than splitting up with her face to face totally disrespects the time that you spent together. Please don't do something like this on the phone or via email with someone you've been with for 6 years. You'll just have to tell her how you feel honestly and give her the opportunity to ask questions. Nothing worse than lack of closure.
Reply 8
Original post by Eveiebaby
I'd say that anything less than splitting up with her face to face totally disrespects the time that you spent together. Please don't do something like this on the phone or via email with someone you've been with for 6 years. You'll just have to tell her how you feel honestly and give her the opportunity to ask questions. Nothing worse than lack of closure.

THIS is how it must be done
Reply 9
Original post by Eveiebaby

Original post by beckaroo7
Depends on how much she means to you. It will be expensive to fly out to see her but may mean something long term to her that you made the effort to speak to her face to face about this. You'll probably be glad long term that you did it this way.

I've been in your girlfriend's position. Before I went to Germany our relationship was good in so far as we got on well, could talk to each other and have a laugh, but the spark had gone - at least from his perspective, especially as he was starting to have feelings for a mutual female friend.

He was very distant with me while I was away, and I don't just mean geographically, I could tell he wasn't that bothered about keeping in contact with me.

Just be honest with her ASAP. Trust me, it's like ripping off a plaster.

Thank you for your responses, they've helped a lot. This is something I know I must do face to face, as you say out of respect for her it can't be any other way. For this money is no object really, and hopefully in time she will see that I care about her enough still to spend a bit of money to say it face to face. My decision has been made independent of any feelings for anyone else - this is about me and her. I would never cheat or anything out of respect.

I'll be going to see her at the start of February. I'm speaking to her on Skype and saying as little as I can before then, but I don't know how to play it. I can't give too much away about how I feel because it has to be face to face, but I need to give her some sort of forewarning that splitting up might be on the cards. She's a really sensitive person and I don't wish to hurt her more than is necessary.

Any ideas?
You definitely need to tell her how you feel, and face to face is the best way. This is something that seems to happen with a lot of relationships, and it is very sad when it does, but there's no point in staying together romantically if you're not in love with her anymore. And seeing as you've felt like this for quite some time, it's doubtful you'd fall back in love with her when she came back and that it's due to the distance. The distance probably hasn't helped to be fair, but it's not the main reason why.

However you do it, it will be difficult for her being so far away from everything, but seriously, tell her in person! My boyfriend's flatmate broke up with his girlfriend at the start of her year abroad in September, but he didn't handle that particularly well - he chose to ignore her phone calls, texts and messages until he'd made up his mind to end the relationship (which he did over the phone) and then after he'd done it he wasn't willing to talk things through with her. Like you, he just didn't feel the same way anymore, but as he hadn't seen her in a while and things had been perfectly fine last time they'd seen each other it was a massive shock for her.

If you're not in love with her, and you seem pretty sure that you aren't, she needs to know soon or she'll be even more hurt when she finds out how long you've been feeling like that. Make sure you do tell her you still care about her as a friend, but don't be surprised if she wants to cut you out of her life for a bit so she can get over you - she'll probably need to do that before she can accept being just friends with you. You had the best of intentions when you told her that everything would be alright, but you know deep down that your relationship has run its course (especially as you said you were relieved when she went away) and she really needs to know exactly how you feel.
Reply 11
Sometimes, when you stay away from someone for too long.. you feel as though you don't love them as much. When you do see her, all those good memories will spring back into your mind and you'll probably realise how silly you were for thinking such a thing. 6 years is a long time, I think you should see her, see how it goes and if you still feel the same then tell her the truth.

Your honest, it's a good thing and in the long term it will definitely benefit you, but give it one more chance.. for the sake of those six years you've spent with her. Leaving her may turn out to be the worst mistake that you've ever made..

If not then sure thing, tell her exactly what you've told us here

Good luck
Reply 12
Original post by BlueSheep32
You definitely need to tell her how you feel, and face to face is the best way. This is something that seems to happen with a lot of relationships, and it is very sad when it does, but there's no point in staying together romantically if you're not in love with her anymore. And seeing as you've felt like this for quite some time, it's doubtful you'd fall back in love with her when she came back and that it's due to the distance. The distance probably hasn't helped to be fair, but it's not the main reason why.

However you do it, it will be difficult for her being so far away from everything, but seriously, tell her in person! My boyfriend's flatmate broke up with his girlfriend at the start of her year abroad in September, but he didn't handle that particularly well - he chose to ignore her phone calls, texts and messages until he'd made up his mind to end the relationship (which he did over the phone) and then after he'd done it he wasn't willing to talk things through with her. Like you, he just didn't feel the same way anymore, but as he hadn't seen her in a while and things had been perfectly fine last time they'd seen each other it was a massive shock for her.

If you're not in love with her, and you seem pretty sure that you aren't, she needs to know soon or she'll be even more hurt when she finds out how long you've been feeling like that. Make sure you do tell her you still care about her as a friend, but don't be surprised if she wants to cut you out of her life for a bit so she can get over you - she'll probably need to do that before she can accept being just friends with you. You had the best of intentions when you told her that everything would be alright, but you know deep down that your relationship has run its course (especially as you said you were relieved when she went away) and she really needs to know exactly how you feel.

Thank you. This has really helped a lot. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending