The Student Room Group

Dropping out of the uni, Maintenance Loan

Hi!

I'm thinking about dropping out of the uni as I don't like my course.

I recently got the second payment of the Maintenance Loan (beginning of January) and I know if I withdraw now I will have to return the overpayment. Although I would rather keep it and return it in the future if I earn over 21 k. So it seems better idea to stay on the course until the end of second term.

Do you think I still have to attend the uni until then? Or can I just stop attending and then withdraw officially at the end of second term? Do you think they're just gonna kick me out there if I stop attending and then I'll have to return overpayment straight away?

Has anyone been in this situation or knows someone who has?

Many thanks,
Jane
Original post by KatyxJane
Hi!I'm thinking about dropping out of the uni as I don't like my course.I recently got the second payment of the Maintenance Loan (beginning of January) and I know if I withdraw now I will have to return the overpayment. Although I would rather keep it and return it in the future if I earn over 21 k. So it seems better idea to stay on the course until the end of second term.Do you think I still have to attend the uni until then? Or can I just stop attending and then withdraw officially at the end of second term? Do you think they're just gonna kick me out there if I stop attending and then I'll have to return overpayment straight away?Has anyone been in this situation or knows someone who has?Many thanks,Jane

If you are leaving university, you have to tell them, and student finance, that you're withdrawing.

Staying enrolled and not turning up to lectures just to get the loans is fraudulent and, if found out, could prevent you from receiving future funding.

Also note that most universities operate a policy whereby if a student does not attend X amount of seminars, they are withdrawn from the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending