The Student Room Group

Recommend me a civilization strategy game - like Age of Empires

Basically, I used to play Age of Empires quite a few years ago. But haven't really played any strategy game since then. Then I started playing the Clash of Clans on my friends IPad now i'm kind of addicted again.

So, could someone recommend me game like this.

Preferablly one that doesn't depend on who spends the most real money. So I guess a game that you buy out right.

Also, I'd like a game that takes on other online users.

Scroll to see replies

On PC or iOS?

If the former, I still love Rise of Nations.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Reply 2
Original post by mikeyd85
On PC or iOS?

If the former, I still love Rise of Nations.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ríse of Legends as well, the fantasty versíon :biggrin:
Basically, I want a game I can play online against others. And I want to be able to build up my village/town/people over time. (Unlike AoE where you log on, build, fight, then close down).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by the wolf at door
Basically, I want a game I can play online against others. And I want to be able to build up my village/town/people over time. (Unlike AoE where you log on, build, fight, then close down).

AOE 3.............Starcraft?
Basically, I used to play Age of Empires quite a few years ago. But haven't really played any strategy game since then. Then I started playing the Clash of Clans on my friends IPad now i'm kind of addicted again.

Preferablly one that doesn't depend on who spends the most real money. So I guess a game that you buy out right.

The king of strategy games is in this thread's title: Civilization. Civilization 5 is an outstanding turn-based strategy game where you take total control over your civilization with the aim of being the first to attain one of several victory conditions, ranging from militaristic to scientific. It has an online multiplayer mode.

Civilization is pretty hard-core and it is very complex, but also extremely addictive and fun!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile
The king of strategy games is in this thread's title: Civilization. Civilization 5 is an outstanding turn-based RTS where you take total control over your civilization with the aim of being the first to attain one of several victory conditions, ranging from militaristic to scientific. It has an online multiplayer mode.

Civilization is a pretty hard-core RTS and it is very complex, but also extremely addictive and fun!

Civilization is not an RTS. It's a turned based strategy.

If you go for Civilization, get BNW, and GaK. Vanilla Civilization V is pretty mediocre.

OP, have you tried Age of Empires 2 HD? It has come a long way since release and steam workshop makes it really good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fango_Jett
Civilization is not an RTS. It's a turned based strategy.

If you go for Civilization, get BNW, and GaK. Vanilla Civilization V is pretty mediocre.

OP, have you tried Age of Empires 2 HD? It has come a long way since release and steam workshop makes it really good.

You can't say that Civilization V is 'pretty mediocre' because that's an opinion, not a fact. I think it's an outstanding game, and its 90% average on Metacritic backs that up.
Reply 8
if you like massive scale battle any in the total war series.

The first empire earth.. maybe the second one.

Age of mythology. The Command and conquer series is great. i actually prefer c&c 3 over starcraft 2.... however give C&C 4 (effectively killed the series) and C&C:Red Alert 3 a miss unless you like it's artistic style (I hated it). Dungeon Keep 2 is another great strategy game, it's a bit old but the concept is great.

If your looking for hard to get games just look on GOG.COM as they specalise in seeling old games and making them compatable on newer OS's. And they make sure all their games are DRM free as well :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
You can't say that Civilization V is 'pretty mediocre' because that's an opinion, not a fact. I think it's an outstanding game, and its 90% average on Metacritic backs that up.

It's nothing on CIV II.... it seems you have less and less features in each new CIV game....

CIV V defiantly catered to the casual audience who don't play many strategy games.

Crusader Kings 2 is a great example of a civilization type game done right.
Original post by DanB1991
It's nothing on CIV II.... it seems you have less and less features in each new CIV game....

CIV V defiantly catered to the casual audience who don't play many strategy games.

I hate this kind of snobbishness that some people have when it comes to games. Just because the developers of Civ have tried to widen its appeal doesn't mean it isn't good. I play quite a lot of strategy games and I really enjoy Civ 5.
Reply 11
Try Anno 2070 (£19.99 on Steam, but I recommend waiting for a sale and getting all the DLC's with it).
I recently got really stuck into it and I have found that it's an amazingly deep civilisation-building game. It is heavily focused on gathering a huge variety of resources and advancing your population through technological stages, while managing food, health, 'Eco-balance' (sustainability), relations with other populations, trade, island management, etc..
There's some military gameplay with warships, planes, turrets, etc, (but this can be configured, and even turned off if you so wish) :rolleyes:

There is a fairly steep learning curve when you first start out, and games will easily last over 10 hours on larger maps, so this is definitely not a 'casual' game where you can fire-up a skirmish for 10mins... :tongue:

A wonderful feature of this game is that there is multiplayer (with alliances in-game), and within that there is the ability to have a co-op partner who controls the same population as you. (So there can be two 'commanders' playing one faction. Advantage of this is that your friend can manage one set of islands, while you can manage another, thus expanding your empire twice as quickly!, for example).

Since the game times are so long, you can even save multiplayer games, and next time you load it up, just hit one button to invite all the players present when you last saved and resume play!

Alternatively, get Age of Mythology if you want a bit of nostalgia overload :smile:
Europa Universalis IV, you can take control of literally any nation that exists in 1399 and lead them to glory up till 1820 or something like that, it's very complex though, it's very much a grand strategy game and not for the faint hearted, I have devoted days to it and only made a small amount of progress sometimes, but it is truly fantastic an experience to lead a tiny nation and turn them into a global empire on it!
Reply 13
Original post by DanB1991

Bull****. It's a rubbish example, as Civ and CK have and always had completely different concepts.
Original post by SciFiRory
Europa Universalis IV, you can take control of literally any nation that exists in 1399 and lead them to glory up till 1820 or something like that, it's very complex though, it's very much a grand strategy game and not for the faint hearted, I have devoted days to it and only made a small amount of progress sometimes, but it is truly fantastic an experience to lead a tiny nation and turn them into a global empire on it!

Hipster :rolleyes: :wink:

It's nothing like AoE, at all

It's good though, used to play all those so ****ing much :teeth:

Civ5 or any total war game up to Shogun 2
I hate this kind of snobbishness that some people have when it comes to games. Just because the developers of Civ have tried to widen its appeal doesn't mean it isn't good. I play quite a lot of strategy games and I really enjoy Civ 5.

Of course you wouldn't understand it. Imagine if one of your favourite series was dumbed down in gameplay, made the AI utter garbage and removed features instead of adding them as they had been consistently until that point. It's maddening. Call it snobbishness if you want, it doesn't change the fact that Civ V vanilla was deemed disgustingly mediocre by most serious strategy game players. The very fact that you have to shell out 60 additional dollars to get the game to the level of it's predecessor is terrible in itself.
Original post by yo radical one
Hipster :rolleyes: :wink:

It's nothing like AoE, at all

It's good though, used to play all those so ****ing much :teeth:

:tongue:

well, no, but other people have already suggest Civilization IV/V which are both like AoE but a lot better imo :tongue:

I loved EU III so I got EU IV like the day it came out tbh, addictive as hell :biggrin:
Reply 18
You can't go wrong with Civ 5 :smile:
Reply 19
Total war, though it's a turn based strategy.

Quick Reply