Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've taken maths, physics and chemistry AS at college and am finding it very difficult to revise, they are so much harder than GCSE, i had a B in math, B in chemistry and an A in physics and overall I had 3A's 9B's and 1C. could you give me some advice on revision techniques for these subjects please, i don't find remembering facts and definitions too hard its the calculations that i find difficult, i have mocks coming up in a few weeks, how did you guys revise for these subjects and what did you guys get?

ReputationRep:
    For Maths I always found past paper questions the best source of revision as you get used to the sort of questions they ask you and how to approach them. For first year chemistry i think its mainly just learning what your told. For me personally I did a lot of cue cards and exam papers and just made sure I knew everything inside out I got an A in maths and A in chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, how did you make sure you knew everything for chemistry? Any advice on physics?

ReputationRep:
    I only do maths if those three but cannot emphasise past papers for all subjects enough!!

Also try flashcards for definitions/formulae and mind maps too.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry and physics.. past papers again and again and again. Soo many of the questions that come up are the same as past questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did maths and chemistry, past papers are good but I'd save them for revision in the summer. If it's the calculations then go through worked examples in your text book and then do questions from the book. Practice is the best way to get better at the calculations.

ReputationRep:
    For Chem, just get the methods on how to find something like forumals. N=VxC/1000. Then proceed, so just get everything and then keep practising.

ReputationRep:
    When I do try and do a past papers I don't understand many of the questions? So do you recommend me going straight to the past papers? I've made notes so many times in the past and they never help, I have some revision books that are pretty good at explaining the work but the questions in there are rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxShugar)
    When I do try and do a past papers I don't understand many of the questions? So do you recommend me going straight to the past papers? I've made notes so many times in the past and they never help, I have some revision books that are pretty good at explaining the work but the questions in there are rubbish!
    Make notes and do past paper questions per topic together. Best way for me. Going straight to questions will confuse you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks all, So past papers per topic and flash cards are the way forward!

ReputationRep:
    And you can draw pictures...mind maps...anything to help you remember the key facts

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, how did you make sure you knew everything for chemistry? Any advice on physics?
    I didn't do physics I did biology but I literally just did cue cards on everything for chemistry and a lot of past papers My coursework let me down all together as i only got 258/300 overall

ReputationRep:
    Try and learn all the topic and when your ready try a past paper! Even if your rubbish at least you can gradually keep improving

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.