The Student Room Group

Is my college being unfair? Please help.

I am studying btec ict, biology and psychology.

The btec ict was originally worth 3 a levels (9 units per year) but after having less study time because of it, I put it to 6 units per year (2 a levels)

however, before converting the btec from 3 a levels to two, I failed a 2 biology sort of mock exams.

My college is now saying I cannot cope with my courses, and want me to drop all my a levels but keep the btec and make it worth 3 a levels again.

The degree I want to do in uni (sport science) obviously requires biology. My deputy head teacher said I have 0% chance of becoming what I want to become and want me to become an ict technician instead.

Can they do this?
What should I say to them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iWoof

The btec ict was originally worth 3 a levels (9 units per year) but after having less study time because of it, I put it to 6 units per year (2 a levels)

however, before converting the btec from 3 a levels to two, I failed a 2 biology sort of mock exams.

My college is now saying I cannot cope with my courses, and want me to drop all my a levels but keep the btec and make it worth 3 a levels again.

The degree I want to do in uni (sport science) obviously requires biology. My deputy head teacher said I have 0% chance of becoming what I want to become and want me to become an ict technician instead.

Can they do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats seems quite harsh, like they say your wanting to study their for your future XD not what they want you to be. But yeah i know loads of people who are failing their mocks with E's and U's etc. when u mean fail to do u mean u got below a C or did u get a U?

I do see what u mean btecs do take up lots of your time
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ChocoholicCox
Thats seems quite harsh, like they say your wanting to study their for your future XD not what they want you to be. But yeah i know loads of people who are failing their mocks with E's and U's etc. when u mean fail to do u mean u got below a C or did u get a U?

Fail I mean not even getting an E.
But for psychology I got C's for them.
However, I missed half of my biology lessons for unit 1 and missed none of my unit 2 lessons atm and I am finding unit 2 so much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iWoof
However, I missed half of my biology lessons for unit 1 and missed none of my unit 2 lessons atm and I am finding unit 2 so much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, thats good its not like your failing all your subjects. Unit 1s easier than unit 2 (well should be) which is pretty good XD. Also you can still revise unit 1 in your own time if you tell your college this they may let you still do it :smile:
Your on unit 2 :O we haven't even started our unit 2s in our subjects yet.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ChocoholicCox
Oh right, thats good its not like your failing all your subjects. Unit 1s easier than unit 2 (well should be) which is pretty good XD. Also you can still revise unit 1 in your own time if you tell your college this they may let you still do it :smile:
Your on unit 2 :O we haven't even started our unit 2s in our subjects yet.

We're almost finished unit 2 for biology now hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) You failed a mock exam...
2) They can't make life decisions for you, tell them that you are willing to take the risk
3) Tell them that you are 100% certain that you can cope
Reply 6
Original post by iWoof

I'd recommend Khan Academy for catching up on what you missed in biology, it's a life saver!
Original post by iWoof
We're almost finished unit 2 for biology now hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG lol XD were starting unt 2s now. I think its mean of your college taking decisions for you its your future and they just try to make it better for their reputation/league tables since it reflects on them.
Reply 8
Harsh but realistic in their eyes... Mocks are your trial runs and also way of college of checking performance, you cannot expect the college to think you can cope with your courses if you failed two mocks.
Reply 9
Original post by iWoof

Can they do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by iWoof

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seeing as you missed a lot of lessons I understand why you failed. At A-Level, missing even 1 or 2 lessons can be disastrous! How are you doing on your BTEC? You got C's in Psychology, so clearly you aren't struggling there...

I think your college is being unfair, but if you don't have a good reason for non-attendance I can see why they want you to drop.

I'd go to the college, show them your psychology marks.. and your work from biology and ICT and show them you can indeed improve your biology grade.

FYI if what your deputy head said is true, he's an asshat and doesn't deserve to teach... Remarks like that can devastate people.
Reply 10
Original post by Kelytha
Seeing as you missed a lot of lessons I understand why you failed. At A-Level, missing even 1 or 2 lessons can be disastrous! How are you doing on your BTEC? You got C's in Psychology, so clearly you aren't struggling there...

I think your college is being unfair, but if you don't have a good reason for non-attendance I can see why they want you to drop.

I'd go to the college, show them your psychology marks.. and your work from biology and ICT and show them you can indeed improve your biology grade.

FYI if what your deputy head said is true, he's an asshat and doesn't deserve to teach... Remarks like that can devastate people.

The reason for my lack of attendance was because I had clashes between ict and biology.
But now theyre all sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by iWoof
The reason for my lack of attendance was because I had clashes between ict and biology.
But now theyre all sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then that isn't your fault, and you should let the college know that. Perhaps they can offer you some extra support to catch up in unit 1. Seems to me they let you down.. You should politely let them know that, don't get angry with them.

Ask for help to catch up, and try as hard as you can in your own time to improve your grades. Maybe ask for another mock next month, and use the time leading up to it to study.
Reply 12
Original post by Kelytha
Then that isn't your fault, and you should let the college know that. Perhaps they can offer you some extra support to catch up in unit 1. Seems to me they let you down.. You should politely let them know that, don't get angry with them.

Ask for help to catch up, and try as hard as you can in your own time to improve your grades. Maybe ask for another mock next month, and use the time leading up to it to study.

The thing is though, if I try to give my opnion and view about this to my deputy head, he doesn't listen because he thinks he knows everything because of the fact that he has over 20 years of teaching experience

But Yeah theres another mock in 7 weeks, I'm going to try and pass that.
It's on unit 2 that mock

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by iWoof
The thing is though, if I try to give my opnion and view about this to my deputy head, he doesn't listen because he thinks he knows everything because of the fact that he has over 20 years of teaching experience

But Yeah theres another mock in 7 weeks, I'm going to try and pass that.
It's on unit 2 that mock

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can't force you drop a subject, and just because he has 20 years of teaching experience doesn't mean that he is this all-knowing messiah! If he doesn't listen, go to the head. What does your biology teacher say? Maybe get him/her to write a letter to the head saying your a good student and can make up the work etc.
Reply 14
Original post by Kelytha
They can't force you drop a subject, and just because he has 20 years of teaching experience doesn't mean that he is this all-knowing messiah! If he doesn't listen, go to the head. What does your biology teacher say? Maybe get him/her to write a letter to the head saying your a good student and can make up the work etc.

Most of the teachers are pretty much brainwashed by the depty head.
If the deputy head says I should drop biology, and I speak to my bio teacher about it. She'll say listen to your deputy head

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest