This discussion is closed.
Inevitable
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
For anyone that has completed Edexcel D2 - is there any knowledge besides matchings, prim's algorithm, and Kruslals algorithm required from D1?
Liamnut
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Linear programming, possibly more.
Inevitable
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liamnut)
Linear programming, possibly more.
Are you sure? D2 apparently does not use the graphical method to solve linear programming problems such as D1 hence why is it needed?
Inevitable
Rep:
?
Looking for someone who is actually sure of any further pre requisites (in addition to ones posted in my first post).
Liamnut
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Inevitable)
Looking for someone who is actually sure of any further pre requisites (in addition to ones posted in my first post).
I'm sure linear programming is a prerequisite.

(Original post by Inevitable)
Are you sure? D2 apparently does not use the graphical method to solve linear programming problems such as D1 hence why is it needed?
If you are that desperate to know, a quick look at the d2 textbook (you can preview it in Amazon) or a peak of the syllabus (easily found on Google) will reveal your answers.

You still need D1 knowledge, for example formulating the problems. Since there're now three variables involved, solving graphically is very difficult so the simplex algorithm is used, to do this you introduce slack variables, which requires an inequality, that is formed with d1 knowledge.
Inevitable
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liamnut)
If you are that desperate to know, a quick look at the d2 textbook (you can preview it in Amazon) or a peak of the syllabus (easily found on Google) will reveal your answers.

You still need D1 knowledge, for example formulating the problems. Since there're now three variables involved, solving graphically is very difficult so the simplex algorithm is used, to do this you introduce slack variables, which requires an inequality, that is formed with d1 knowledge.
That wasn't meant to be a slur on you.

I have gone through the specification already (albeit they do not make it clear - as well as the previews of the textbook hence why I wanted someone who had recently completed the module, as they would know the exact pre requisites)
veryintelligent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone know whether you are expected to actually draw Activity Networks for the D1 exam?
Dyutic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
you need to know how to formulate a linear programming problem, as you'll have to do that from some of the new algorithms you do, but you don't actually solve any of those so thankfulllyyyy no graphical methods/ simplex in D2
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.33%
I'm not sure (59)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.18%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (665)
49.37%

Watched Threads