The Student Room Group

Is there an alternative route to attend university to becoming an Accountant/Banker?

Hello,

I have had a few rough patches during my A level years and have not come out with
my expected results. I also do not want to go to a university that is not ranked
in the top 50.

I've heard about the ACCA and CIMA certifications as alternative into
Accountancy and that they are funded by employers and are available throughout the UK and
this changed my outlook on going to university.

Can anyone kind enough please clarify the following?

What are the future prospects and how do I progress?
Is accountancy the only career option that I have with these certifications or can I opt into
banking and other financial roles? Eventually I would like to work in a Global/Investment banking role but know that at this time
it looks like a far shot.
can I study Finance after this, using these certificates, or do I have to fund resits for my A levels
to attend a middle-tier (>25 on the ranking) university?

Other reasons as to why I do not want to 'just go to university' yet is because of student debts,
moving away (though not too big a deal, just a preference to stay here) and lowered standard of
living - in other words, making sacrifices WITHOUT a very good ROI.

Thanks in advance.
I've moved this to the Accounting and Finance sub section of the Careers section, as you should get a better response here.
Original post by Joyful_soul
Hello,

I have had a few rough patches during my A level years and have not come out with
my expected results. I also do not want to go to a university that is not ranked
in the top 50.

I've heard about the ACCA and CIMA certifications as alternative into
Accountancy and that they are funded by employers and are available throughout the UK and
this changed my outlook on going to university.

Can anyone kind enough please clarify the following?

What are the future prospects and how do I progress?
Is accountancy the only career option that I have with these certifications or can I opt into
banking and other financial roles? Eventually I would like to work in a Global/Investment banking role but know that at this time
it looks like a far shot.
can I study Finance after this, using these certificates, or do I have to fund resits for my A levels
to attend a middle-tier (>25 on the ranking) university?

Other reasons as to why I do not want to 'just go to university' yet is because of student debts,
moving away (though not too big a deal, just a preference to stay here) and lowered standard of
living - in other words, making sacrifices WITHOUT a very good ROI.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Joyful_soul

There are many different ways to obtain Accounting Qualifications and many different qualifications that can take you in the same direction. In regards to ACCA & CIMA These are focused on Chartered Accountancy.

A lot of students that do not want to go to uni take the option of studying and working at the same time. AAT can be studied from home giving you the freedom of working. (Gaining experience)

If AAT is something that sounds interesting to you, please feel free to order a free information pack. https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us/info-pack/student/form

Any questions, please feel free to ask

Many thanks & all the best
Reply 3
My brother in law is doing AAT and I can highly recommend it for school leavers. It's great both as a qualification in its own right and as a stepping stone to ACCA, the ICAEW, CIMA or CIPFA, all of whom offer exemptions to AAT qualified students.
Original post by DanWinterburn
Hello Joyful_soul

There are many different ways to obtain Accounting Qualifications and many different qualifications that can take you in the same direction. In regards to ACCA & CIMA These are focused on Chartered Accountancy.

A lot of students that do not want to go to uni take the option of studying and working at the same time. AAT can be studied from home giving you the freedom of working. (Gaining experience)

If AAT is something that sounds interesting to you, please feel free to order a free information pack. https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us/info-pack/student/form

Any questions, please feel free to ask

Many thanks & all the best

Do you know for the AAT level 2/3 is work experience essential? Or to get the certificate for level 3 you just pass exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vivaronaldoo
Do you know for the AAT level 2/3 is work experience essential? Or to get the certificate for level 3 you just pass exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello Vivaronaldoo,

Work experience is not essential due the to nature of the course and how it has been developed. You will learn all the skills and deveolpment through learning the qualification. If you are working within the industry this will always be helpful as you will be able to put your methods into practice. You will receive a certificate at each level to indicate your skill level.

https://www.aat.org.uk/qualifications/the-aat-accounting-qualification

Please contact me directly if you have any further questions.

Thank you
Reply 6
From my point of view I wish I had applied for a school leaver programme and got my CA that way rather than doing 4 years uni to do he same thing. Countless people told me to do it but I always wanted to have a degree which is good but i feel as if i have wasted 4 years getting wasted as tbh that is all uni is.

Can't comment as to what job prospects become once you have a professional qualification, I imagine that everyone who has a degree comes before you but I have no idea.
Reply 7
The reality is a degree is somewhat useful even after you're qualified a accountant. If you look at manager level job adverts, some percentage of them expected degree educated candidates.

But on the other hand AAT followed by CIMA/ACCA is a solid route into accountancy and once you have the CIMA/ACCA you could be on a level playing field with degree educated candidates, depending on the employer to a degree.

Moving into investment banking is a bit of a far shot like you suggest. From my experience, at your stage in your career many people wish to go into investment banking, whereas a few years down the line many people realise there isn't any point and the sacrifice to work/life balance is not worth it. So I would have a think about whether this is a sensible & realistic ambition.

So if I was you I would look at entry level positions either with AAT study or do it in your own time.
Reply 8
Original post by P-K
The reality is a degree is somewhat useful even after you're qualified a accountant. If you look at manager level job adverts, some percentage of them expected degree educated candidates.

But on the other hand AAT followed by CIMA/ACCA is a solid route into accountancy and once you have the CIMA/ACCA you could be on a level playing field with degree educated candidates, depending on the employer to a degree.

Moving into investment banking is a bit of a far shot like you suggest. From my experience, at your stage in your career many people wish to go into investment banking, whereas a few years down the line many people realise there isn't any point and the sacrifice to work/life balance is not worth it. So I would have a think about whether this is a sensible & realistic ambition.

So if I was you I would look at entry level positions either with AAT study or do it in your own time.

How can you break into accounting with no experience ? Should you study acca or aat first

Quick Reply

Latest