How much Shakespeare have you read? Watch

Alpha brah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've only covered Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet (for GCSE), and Julius Caesar so far - how about you guys?
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just the standard school text R&J. I couldn't read it for fun, I find it so cumbersome and tough going.
Alpha brah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Just the standard school text R&J. I couldn't read it for fun, I find it so cumbersome and tough going.
Is that because of the writing style? It is kind of archaic and flowery, I find it a nice change from the usual though
chloevictoria
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Romeo and Juliet, The Merchant of Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, The Tempest, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream and some sonnets that I can't remember the names of

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alpha brah
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloevictoria)
Romeo and Juliet, The Merchant of Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, The Tempest, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream and some sonnets that I can't remember the names of

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooh that's quite a few! How long does it usually take you to read one?
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Hamlet, Twelfth Night, Midsummer Night's Dream, Othello, The Merchant of Venice, The Tempest, Antony and Cleopatra and Julius Caesar, so yh quite a bit!
Picture~Perfect
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've not read as much as I'd like, I read 'MacBeth' and 'Romeo and Juliet' at school and in my own time I've read 'Hamlet' and 'The Merchant of Venice' the latter being my favourite but I would like to get round to reading some more.
McRite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Romeo & Juliet, and Julius Caesar (IGCSE). I'm still **** at Literature though
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Midsummer Night's Dream
Romeo and Juliet
Macbeth
King Lear
A little Othello when I studied King Lear.

King Lear was awesome. Got a B in A Level English Lit and I'm sure King Lear saved my ****ing life there -- I got to to analyse the **** out of the characters and I basically gave them each a psych evaluation. :love: If it wasn't for sleep deprivation I totally would have mindgasmed that day. :daydreaming:
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Romeo and Juliet, Merchant of Venice. In some form or another I've seen Othello, Richard II, Henry IV parts I and II, Henry V, Macbeth. Not great for an English student.
WhyteBoar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Macbeth, Twelfth Night, Henry VI parts I, II and III, Richard III, Richard II, Hamlet, Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet, and Merchant of Venice.

I have seen many more, but these are the only ones I have read. I prefer his history plays to the comedies if I am honest.
KJane
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hamlet
Macbeth
Othello
Romeo and Juliet
Antony and Cleopatra
Twelfth Night
Titus Andronicus
The Tempest
Much Ado About Nothing
Richard II
Henry IV 1 & 2
Henry V
Winter's Tale
All of the sonnets

And I'm going to start A Midsummer Night's Dream soon.
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Macbeth, The Tempest, Romeo & Juliet, and A Midsummer Night's Dream for a school play.
EllieC130
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bits of The Tempest which weren't too bad, Romeo and Juliet (eurgh; sorry it's just a bit overrated), Macbeth was... ok I guess, same with Othello, more recently bits of A Midsummer Night's Dream which is nice enough, Much Ado About Nothing and I start Hamlet next month. My school likes Shakespere... a lot.
EllieC130
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KJane)
Hamlet
Macbeth
Othello
Romeo and Juliet
Antony and Cleopatra
Twelfth Night
Titus Andronicus
The Tempest
Much Ado About Nothing
Richard II
Henry IV 1 & 2
Henry V
Winter's Tale
All of the sonnets

And I'm going to start A Midsummer Night's Dream soon.
Are they ALL for school? I mean if some are for fun then fine, but if that's all your school, I mean when do you have the chance to sleep?
KJane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EllieC130)
Are they ALL for school? I mean if some are for fun then fine, but if that's all your school, I mean when do you have the chance to sleep?
All were for University apart from the sonnets, Richard II, Henry IV 1 & 2, Henry V and Much Ado about nothing.

A handful were studied on Renaissance to Enlightenment and Renaissance Tragedy modules that I did, otherwise Shakespeare just tends to pop up quite a bit over the entirety of my degree. He is without a doubt my most studied author.

Spoiler:
Show
And I study English, there is no sleep when you need to read four books of primary reading alone a week. :cool:
Sir Killalot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not as much as I should have.

Just Romeo & Juliet, and Much Ado About Nothing.
EllieC130
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KJane)
All were for University apart from the sonnets, Richard II, Henry IV 1 & 2, Henry V and Much Ado about nothing.

A handful were studied on Renaissance to Enlightenment and Renaissance Tragedy modules that I did, otherwise Shakespeare just tends to pop up quite a bit over the entirety of my degree. He is without a doubt my most studied author.

Spoiler:
Show
And I study English, there is no sleep when you need to read four books of primary reading alone a week. :cool:
Half the degree I want to study is English... now I'm very scared.
KJane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EllieC130)
Half the degree I want to study is English... now I'm very scared.
Oops! Didn't mean to scare.

English is intense at University, but it is manageable. I study so many books a week because I do purely English. So if you do half and half English with something else, I'm guessing you'd take two english modules each semester, so you'd be doing maybe two books a week/fortnight instead of my four.
snailsareslimy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Macbeth, King Lear, The Tempest, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet and Merchant of Venice. Seen 2 of those at the RSC, too.

And... I'm not doing any Shakespeare at uni. Feel like a bad English student but I think it's time to let Shakespeare go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (95)
16.7%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (60)
10.54%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (100)
17.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (85)
14.94%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (57)
10.02%
How can I be the best version of myself? (172)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed