Medicine in Varna 2014

Watch this thread
Medic12345
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This is just a forum for those students from England who are going to be studying in Varna 2014! I am a British student too, aged 18, who joined Varna in September 2013! If you need to know anything please let me know!
Word of warning please stay away from the agencies asking for money for your application! IT IS NOT NEEDED!
Medic12345
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Also i will be offering up my services for those students from Britain, who need help with loans, residency permits, enrolling, opening bank accounts etc!
AnishT12
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
As mentioned above by medic12345, stay away from these agencies charging for your application. I have used two of these agencies and feel like I have been ripped off by both, especially an agency called Study Medicine Europe!
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Medic12345)
This is just a forum for those students from England who are going to be studying in Varna 2014! I am a British student too, aged 18, who joined Varna in September 2013! If you need to know anything please let me know!
Word of warning please stay away from the agencies asking for money for your application! IT IS NOT NEEDED!
I'm sure this is a silly question but where's varna?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Medic12345
Rep:
Varna is on the Black Sea Coast of Bulgaria
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Varna is on the Black Sea Coast of Bulgaria
Ooh that sounds nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
U.Inc
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hey guys,

Thanks for making this thread, I’m looking to apply for dentistry at Varna… I’ve already been in contact with medic12345 who has been very helpful with any queries I had.
Also I wondered if there was a Facebook group of current UK students in Varna?
Medic12345
Rep:
Hey, there's an International group on Facebook for the international students of Varna!
username1372263
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by U.Inc)
Hey guys,

Thanks for making this thread, I’m looking to apply for dentistry at Varna… I’ve already been in contact with medic12345 who has been very helpful with any queries I had.
Also I wondered if there was a Facebook group of current UK students in Varna?
Heyy!

I am also looking to apply for dentistry at Varna! Im just wondering if you have already applied yet and do you know when your are going to sit the entry test?
ZW17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hey, there's an International group on Facebook for the international students of Varna!
Awesome! What's the group called?
Medic12345
Rep:
Medical University of Varna International Students
ccccccjjjjjj
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Hey, how have you been getting on since you've started?! Must have been a big move!
I am considering applying for Medicine at Varna for this September.. I just had a few questions:

1) How is the course taught? Small groups or large, self taught/lectures?
2) what is the quality of teaching like? (language barrier?)
3) Is Bulgarian difficult to learn and are you given classes? If so, how many hrs per week?
4) What is lifestyle like there? Is there many british/irish there? Was it difficult to settle in?
5) and what would you say the pro's and con's are so far?

Sorry for the complete overload of questions haha any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Medic12345
Rep:
(Original post by ccccccjjjjjj)
Hey, how have you been getting on since you've started?! Must have been a big move!
I am considering applying for Medicine at Varna for this September.. I just had a few questions:

1) How is the course taught? Small groups or large, self taught/lectures?
2) what is the quality of teaching like? (language barrier?)
3) Is Bulgarian difficult to learn and are you given classes? If so, how many hrs per week?
4) What is lifestyle like there? Is there many british/irish there? Was it difficult to settle in?
5) and what would you say the pro's and con's are so far?

Sorry for the complete overload of questions haha any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Hey! Not a problem i'm more than willing to help!
1) The course is a mixture of self taught and seminars/lectures...you will have a lecture on each subject a week and also a seminar, so you would prepare at home and then at the seminar/lecture consolidate and expand your knowledge.
2)The teaching is pretty good, all your lecturers and seminar professors can speak english pretty well so understanding them is not an issue
3)At first its hard but its easy to grasp with, you will have 6 hours of Bulgarian a week!
4) The lifestyle here is great! There's a huge international community and many English/Scottish students, none from Ireland yet! Its easy to settle in, the weathers a hugeee bonus! Nightlife is great with Golden Sands being a short taxi drive away, alcohol is very cheap!
5) Pros- The teaching, the workload, the cheapness of the city, the weather, being part of an international community
Con's- Can be hard for some people to settle in, language is hard to understand at first
ccccccjjjjjj
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hey! Not a problem i'm more than willing to help!
1) The course is a mixture of self taught and seminars/lectures...you will have a lecture on each subject a week and also a seminar, so you would prepare at home and then at the seminar/lecture consolidate and expand your knowledge.
2)The teaching is pretty good, all your lecturers and seminar professors can speak english pretty well so understanding them is not an issue
3)At first its hard but its easy to grasp with, you will have 6 hours of Bulgarian a week!
4) The lifestyle here is great! There's a huge international community and many English/Scottish students, none from Ireland yet! Its easy to settle in, the weathers a hugeee bonus! Nightlife is great with Golden Sands being a short taxi drive away, alcohol is very cheap!
5) Pros- The teaching, the workload, the cheapness of the city, the weather, being part of an international community
Con's- Can be hard for some people to settle in, language is hard to understand at first

Thanks, all very helpful!
Do you get back to England often or Summer and Christmas? Where do you fly to and from?
I'm considering Pleven but I think Varna on the coast and September start would be amazing!!
Did you find the application process difficult? Did you buy that book of questions for the entrance exam, was the exam tough?

Again, another barrage of questions, sorry thanks!
Medic12345
Rep:
Hey, not a problem! I go back to England a few times a year, i fly from Varna to Manchester. I've had a few people transfer from pleven to Varna, because Pleven is a very small city and its quite bland, the teaching and facilities arent the best either, Varna has a wide range of facilites, its one of the most cosmopolitan cities in all of Bulgaria and soon to be a Metropolitan city, the weather/beach is great, hugee nightlife, a larger number of English students! However. because of the fact that it its touristy and an attraction especially with the very wealthy, it is the most expensice city in Bulgaria, but its nowhere near as bad as England! The process is very straightforwards and the exam is not tough at all! Varna has a huge range of connections with universities around the world! It's hosting some very famous scientists and doctors! Its becoming a well known university and it has the least corruption in Bulgaria!
(Original post by ccccccjjjjjj)
Thanks, all very helpful!
Do you get back to England often or Summer and Christmas? Where do you fly to and from?
I'm considering Pleven but I think Varna on the coast and September start would be amazing!!
Did you find the application process difficult? Did you buy that book of questions for the entrance exam, was the exam tough?

Again, another barrage of questions, sorry thanks!
dinu12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi there,
I'm from England and I am applying to study medicine in varna and I have few questions I would like to explore before I start there. One of those agencies offered me to help out with the application and accommodation and they are charging me £1000. Since they made it sound very convincing that they can help with everything and the fact that there is no one i know in Bulgaria, it seemed like a option (now I feel like it's a waste of my money). Wish I had found this thread before hand!!
Anyways, hope you wouldn't mind answering few of my questions...

1. What is the student life in varna like? (the student accommodations, making friends etc. Is it difficult to make friends? I'm bit worried about that since my personality is somewhat quiet type, less out going...do you think it's going to be a problem when studying Medicine there?)

2. Are there some kind of organization by the university to help international student get used to the city/student life (tour them around first etc) ?

3. How many hours a weeks do the students have lectures/seminars etc?

4. Making a bank account and signing with a mobile network, and a broad band, how does these things work there?

5. How do you get around the city? Is language going to be a problem?

I'm sorry for the long list of questions, but I'll really appreciate it very much if you can answer these

Thanks a bunch!!
Medic12345
Rep:
Hey there,

1) The student life here is pretty vibrant, the students union are always putting on student parties, many sporting and non sporting clubs to be part of and if you want to you could make your own! Most international students opt for private accomodation as i did, which is much better than the universities accomodation, mostly because the universities halls dont provide the student with privacy and its mostly for Bulgarian students! Your personality would not be a problem, most students are studying if i was rather blunt, but theres always other social activities going on!
2) There is a students union and there is also an Internation students union just for the international students, and during your freshers week there will be a guide of the city!
3) You will have 2 hours a week of seminars for each subject and 2 hours of lecutures for each subject!
4) In regards to opening all the above you mentioned, all you need is your passport and contract of lease and you just pop into the bank or interenet shop and open the accounts there, its an easy process, but if help is required i am more than willing to provide my assistance!
5) Most students use cycles/taxis/buses or walking! It's pretty easy to get around the city, you will tend to be just in one area of the city! Language wont be an issue, as you will be learning the language of the country and many people here speak English!
(Original post by dinu12)
Hi there,
I'm from England and I am applying to study medicine in varna and I have few questions I would like to explore before I start there. One of those agencies offered me to help out with the application and accommodation and they are charging me £1000. Since they made it sound very convincing that they can help with everything and the fact that there is no one i know in Bulgaria, it seemed like a option (now I feel like it's a waste of my money). Wish I had found this thread before hand!!
Anyways, hope you wouldn't mind answering few of my questions...

1. What is the student life in varna like? (the student accommodations, making friends etc. Is it difficult to make friends? I'm bit worried about that since my personality is somewhat quiet type, less out going...do you think it's going to be a problem when studying Medicine there?)

2. Are there some kind of organization by the university to help international student get used to the city/student life (tour them around first etc) ?

3. How many hours a weeks do the students have lectures/seminars etc?

4. Making a bank account and signing with a mobile network, and a broad band, how does these things work there?

5. How do you get around the city? Is language going to be a problem?

I'm sorry for the long list of questions, but I'll really appreciate it very much if you can answer these

Thanks a bunch!!
dinu12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
That was really helpful, Thank you very much
I feel lot more relieved now (I was bit worried about studying abroad as it is all new to me) But so glad you answered all my questions.
Thanks for the offer of help, I'll ask for your help if I feel lost
Thank you very much again.
(Hope you wouldn't mind if i pop in again if I have some more questions in the future)

Hey there,

1) The student life here is pretty vibrant, the students union are always putting on student parties, many sporting and non sporting clubs to be part of and if you want to you could make your own! Most international students opt for private accomodation as i did, which is much better than the universities accomodation, mostly because the universities halls dont provide the student with privacy and its mostly for Bulgarian students! Your personality would not be a problem, most students are studying if i was rather blunt, but theres always other social activities going on!
2) There is a students union and there is also an Internation students union just for the international students, and during your freshers week there will be a guide of the city!
3) You will have 2 hours a week of seminars for each subject and 2 hours of lecutures for each subject!
4) In regards to opening all the above you mentioned, all you need is your passport and contract of lease and you just pop into the bank or interenet shop and open the accounts there, its an easy process, but if help is required i am more than willing to provide my assistance!
5) Most students use cycles/taxis/buses or walking! It's pretty easy to get around the city, you will tend to be just in one area of the city! Language wont be an issue, as you will be learning the language of the country and many people here speak English!
Januu Dolly
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hello, I just found this thread and am considering applying here... I was just wondering whether the entrance exam was hard or not and if its best to buy the book of questions they advertise on the website? Also would I be able to come back to the UK for foundation years as I would like to practice here? And for those who are in year 13, would you reccomend sitting the exam after or before results day and when would you need to get all your documents sorted as I would not have all my a level documents until after August? And when does the course start and end every year? Sorry for so many questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Medic12345
Rep:
Hi,
1) The entrance exam is fine as long as you prepare for it, its not really worth getting the material, its perfectly easy to do with your materials from sixth form,
2) Yes you can do your foundation years back in the UK
5) I reccomend aplying after your a levels as i did.
6) 1st years start in October and end in May, others start in September till May, with exam season following afterwards
(Original post by Januu Dolly)
Hello, I just found this thread and am considering applying here... I was just wondering whether the entrance exam was hard or not and if its best to buy the book of questions they advertise on the website? Also would I be able to come back to the UK for foundation years as I would like to practice here? And for those who are in year 13, would you reccomend sitting the exam after or before results day and when would you need to get all your documents sorted as I would not have all my a level documents until after August? And when does the course start and end every year? Sorry for so many questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads