~Language Poll~ Watch

Poll: Which langauges (aside from English) can you speak to a native?
French (7)
20%
German (5)
14.29%
Spanish (11)
31.43%
Portugese (1)
2.86%
Bengali (0)
0%
Arabic (2)
5.71%
Russian (1)
2.86%
Mandarin (1)
2.86%
Cantonese (0)
0%
Indonesian (1)
2.86%
Japanese (2)
5.71%
Esperanto (0)
0%
Klingon (0)
0%
Other (please specify) (4)
11.43%
number23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Aside from English, in which languages are you able to have conversation with a native speaker?

By conversation, I mean just an everyday conversation as you would have if you were first getting to know someone(not necessarily being able to discuss politics and philosophy)

tick ALL that apply

EDIT: going by the European framework http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_..._for_Languages we are talking at around B1 level
number23
Rep:
?
Thanks for the votes so far
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No problem.
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I put French and German. While I'm studying Mandarin and Japanese at uni, I'm not all too confident about having a proper conversation with someone in them
Plainview
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Latin.
number23
Rep:
?
I didn't think Spanish would be so popular (compared to German and French)
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by number23)
Aside from English, in which languages are you able to have conversation with a native speaker?

tick ALL that apply
I'd be a bit more specific in what you mean by 'conversation'. :yep: I was on the train last year and managed to have a half-hour conversation with a French-speaking African lady despite her having no English and my having *very* little French. You can get a surprising distance with just good will and a handful of vocabulary.

Try having a look at the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages - it's not perfect, but it gives you a clearer guide to comparing language ability levels.

Despite vagueness, I voted Spanish and Russian.
c2uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by number23)
I didn't think Spanish would be so popular (compared to German and French)
well, you don't have that many votes yet, and Spanish is relatively easy compared with German and French, so easier to achieve a good level.

I'm native German, and a few years ago I met somebody doing German A levels - I didn't understand a word he said
number23
Rep:
?
(Original post by superwolf)
I'd be a bit more specific in what you mean by 'conversation'. :yep: I was on the train last year and managed to have a half-hour conversation with a French-speaking African lady despite her having no English and my having *very* little French. You can get a surprising distance with just good will and a handful of vocabulary.

Try having a look at the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages - it's not perfect, but it gives you a clearer guide to comparing language ability levels.

Despite vagueness, I voted Spanish and Russian.
Good point, I would say B1. How did you learn Russian? Quite unusual for a British person to learn

(Original post by c2uk)
well, you don't have that many votes yet, and Spanish is relatively easy compared with German and French, so easier to achieve a good level.

I'm native German, and a few years ago I met somebody doing German A levels - I didn't understand a word he said
I think UK education focusses too much on grammar and rules than actually practicing using the language
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby