English Language Media texts and investigation.

Watch
maybejusthappy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I'm about 2 thirds through my investigation which is about comparing the language and graphology in smoking advertisements from the 1950s and anti-smoking campaigns from the present day.
And now it's onto the media text that goes with it! I'm thinking of doing something about subliminal messaging as it's still relevant to my investigation... But I'm completely stuck of how to structure this media text. What kind of things to write about. For example am I trying to be technical and use lots of fancy terminology or is it supposed to be written like a magazine article? Aahhh any help is appreciated.
goonerliamo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I recently completed my A Level in English Language. This is quite a common topic to analyse as part of your coursework. I would recommend setting this section out as a purely analytical piece. The vast majority of the marks come for your ability to compare and contrast the two different pieces rather than for the way you present it. As for the 'fancy terminology'; use this as much as possible. Your work is about showing that you have a thorough understanding of various language techniques, and the effect that they have on the advertisements. For example, you may want to talk about the grammatical techniques used such as the use of imperatives, directives, alliteration, rhetorical questions etc. In addition, you will want to talk about the graphology, i.e how the way that the item is presented influences readers such as font size, use of emotive images etc.

A great way to earn extra brownie points is to consider the external circumstances that may have influenced the way that the advertisement was written. For example what social circumstances were happening at the time, i.e as the 50's just came after the war, did war propaganda make smoking particularly popular (hint hint)? Additionally, a potentially major contributing factor is the advances in technology since the 50's. Could this have had an impact on why the adverts were presented as they were?

In terms of structure, I would attack it by analysing one piece first. Describe everything you can about it using the best terminology possible to show you have a good understand of the various language techniques. To continue, then begin your analysis of the second piece by beginning with something along the lines of 'the second piece can relate to the first piece in many ways, for example... (list similar characteristics) However, differences can be found between the two pieces, such as...'

When doing this, always be sure to say what EFFECT these techniques would have on the readers, as there isn't much point in simply listing the techniques you can spot without showing that you understand why these techniques were used. Analyse it that way and you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps
maybejusthappy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Wow, thank you so very much! I never expected to receive such a helpful response but indeed I have. This is genuinely fantastic help and I'm less worried about what to do now. May I ask what you got as your A level result?
Also apologies for the late reply, it took me fricken ages to figure out how to retrace your own posts. Also I doubted anyone would actually reply so soon xD
Once again, Merci beaucoup!
goonerliamo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not at all, happy to help. I got an A in my English language A level, so I must have been doing something right!

If you need any further guidance, just post it to this thread and ill be happy to help in any way I can.

(Apologies for the late reply)
Riss2013
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by goonerliamo)
I recently completed my A Level in English Language. This is quite a common topic to analyse as part of your coursework. I would recommend setting this section out as a purely analytical piece. The vast majority of the marks come for your ability to compare and contrast the two different pieces rather than for the way you present it. As for the 'fancy terminology'; use this as much as possible. Your work is about showing that you have a thorough understanding of various language techniques, and the effect that they have on the advertisements. For example, you may want to talk about the grammatical techniques used such as the use of imperatives, directives, alliteration, rhetorical questions etc. In addition, you will want to talk about the graphology, i.e how the way that the item is presented influences readers such as font size, use of emotive images etc.

A great way to earn extra brownie points is to consider the external circumstances that may have influenced the way that the advertisement was written. For example what social circumstances were happening at the time, i.e as the 50's just came after the war, did war propaganda make smoking particularly popular (hint hint)? Additionally, a potentially major contributing factor is the advances in technology since the 50's. Could this have had an impact on why the adverts were presented as they were?

In terms of structure, I would attack it by analysing one piece first. Describe everything you can about it using the best terminology possible to show you have a good understand of the various language techniques. To continue, then begin your analysis of the second piece by beginning with something along the lines of 'the second piece can relate to the first piece in many ways, for example... (list similar characteristics) However, differences can be found between the two pieces, such as...'

When doing this, always be sure to say what EFFECT these techniques would have on the readers, as there isn't much point in simply listing the techniques you can spot without showing that you understand why these techniques were used. Analyse it that way and you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps
hi , would you be able to help me out please , im basically in the same predicament , my investigation is on " to what extent is the language of youth culture influenced by Caribbean vernacular " Ive basically explored the topic of multi- cultural London English and where are there influences from . im now starting my media text and have no idea what to do.
HollyLouise123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry to jump on your post, but im currently sat doing my own media piece. However im looking for some advice, my investigation is comparing two womans weekly magazine problems pages. One from 2013 and the other from 1975, i have looked at their graphology, grammar & pragmatics and i'm struggling on what to do for my media. It's due today so im in a bit of a panic.

I began with a newspaper article on how women have developed (rights and equality) but it hasn't linked like i thought it could have as i have talked alot about technology advances in my investigation so im completely stumped???

please help x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads