nohomo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, and one thing I was considering talking to him about is my use of forums. You can see my post count on here. It's nothing compared to some of the regular users, but I do spend a long time on here, and I'm not sure I enjoy it.

I just seem to be addicted. I post, then sit and wait for a "notification." which briefly gives me a little excitement to see who's replied to me or whether I've been repped.

This rep is more exciting to me than real life achievements like my degree programme, perhaps because it's shiny (), perhaps because it's easier to get rep (I think I'm going to fail my degree), perhaps because I'm repped for things I've thought of myself rather than regurgitated like an exam...the list of reasons goes on.

Obviously rep doesn't pay the bills though (if only!).

I also have other addictive behaviour e.g. smoking lightly. Could my doctor have anything to offer me for addictive behaviour?
User1214833
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, I'm sure he'll be able to suggest something.

I think the internet can be very attractive, as you can be a different/better version of yourself. You can also feel a social connection with people which can feel very real, but is just an illusion for the most part. It does give you a hit, as it's immediate and satisfying in a way. A lot of people are addicted to Facebook and other sites, so you're definitely not alone. Talk to him about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
are you getting excited from the rep I gave you? but seriously I don't think you're the only person on here with this problem
CasualSoul
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nohomo)
I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, and one thing I was considering talking to him about is my use of forums. You can see my post count on here. It's nothing compared to some of the regular users, but I do spend a long time on here, and I'm not sure I enjoy it.

I just seem to be addicted. I post, then sit and wait for a "notification." which briefly gives me a little excitement to see who's replied to me or whether I've been repped.

This rep is more exciting to me than real life achievements like my degree programme, perhaps because it's shiny (), perhaps because it's easier to get rep (I think I'm going to fail my degree), perhaps because I'm repped for things I've thought of myself rather than regurgitated like an exam...the list of reasons goes on.

Obviously rep doesn't pay the bills though (if only!).

I also have other addictive behaviour e.g. smoking lightly. Could my doctor have anything to offer me for addictive behaviour?
If you speak to your doc I am sure he will be able to recommend a few things. With regards to the forum addiction you could always get a timer and say "okay I will spend 10 minutes on here" Before hand tell yourself exactly what you are going to do e.g. you might decide to reply to PM's or just browse forums and then as soon as the time is out LOG OFF. Do not say oh 5 more minutes just log off. Since you have quite addictive behaviour it might be difficult but once you start doing it it will become easier. Maybe start with 20 minutes and then cut it down to 10 mins etc. If you type online timer in google it comes up

I don't know if that will work but it is worth a try. The main thing is self control. Also are you bored because if you are just ssitting to wait for a notification it might be that there is not much going on in your life which is that exciting so maybe y rather than forums you could try hobbies, sports, reading and then if you get addicted to a hobby at least you will be able to improve your skills or if you get addicted to reading you will be able to be more creative or something??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads