Suggestions for degree courses/careers Watch

la95
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello!

I'm posting this on behalf of my younger brother, who is about to select his GCSE options. Obviously he won't be applying for university (or whatever it is he chooses to do) for several years, but it makes sense to tailor his GCSE options to potential careers and the qualifications he'll need to get there (particularly when it comes to the sciences). Does anyone have any ideas in terms of degree courses/BTECs/future careers, bearing in mind the information below?

Interested in: P.E., ICT, design & technology, biology

Preferred salary: £30,000+

He's also an avid sportsperson.

Thanks in advance!
Hanover
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by la95)
Hello!

I'm posting this on behalf of my younger brother, who is about to select his GCSE options. Obviously he won't be applying for university (or whatever it is he chooses to do) for several years, but it makes sense to tailor his GCSE options to potential careers and the qualifications he'll need to get there (particularly when it comes to the sciences). Does anyone have any ideas in terms of degree courses/BTECs/future careers, bearing in mind the information below?

Interested in: P.E., ICT, design & technology, biology

Preferred salary: £30,000+

He's also an avid sportsperson.

Thanks in advance!
Without a university's degree, it is pretty impossible to get a starting salary of 30,000+. If your brother wishes to earn more than that, then he must forget P.E & design.
ICT, Technology and Biology are fields with well-paid jobs such as IT-expert, Biomed research, operations etc...
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He's 14.

Far too early to be thinking of stuff like starting salaries! And choosing a job based solely on money rather than interest/enthusiasm/ability is clearly nuts.

He should choose the GCSE subjects that interest him, whilst ensuring a spread of subjects to leave A level choices open.
r_u_jelly
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sports Physio
Computer designer
Personal trainer
la95
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Hanover)
Without a university's degree, it is pretty impossible to get a starting salary of 30,000+. If your brother wishes to earn more than that, then he must forget P.E & design.
ICT, Technology and Biology are fields with well-paid jobs such as IT-expert, Biomed research, operations etc...
Thanks for your input.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At this stage, it's important to take one step at a time. So, choose GCSEs on the basis of what he likes, and what will keep doors open at A Level.

Given that he evidently likes science related things, then I would suggest doing separate science (triple science) GCSEs, and beyond that just ones he'll enjoy (but if he's decently bright, try and steer clear of BTECs)

Posted from TSR Mobile
kpofsuburbia
  • Study Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's nothing wrong with BTECS, I'm doing one (7As, 4Bs and 1C at GCSE) and I'm going to to the degree I want to do, so the Level 3 stage is entirely up to him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (38)
7.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.4%
No (175)
34.18%

Watched Threads