The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
puppy
You don't need 'yours faithfully' at the end, it's not a letter.

Formatting wise it's often a good idea to space things out to it's clear what belong to what i.e. have a smaller gap between a subheading and its following paragraph than the gap between the previous paragraph and the next heading so that it's clear that the title belongs to the paragraph.

Oops that was a mistake had my covering letter in the same document and forgot to delete. thanks for the tip, I will bear that in mind :smile:
Reply 21
Alex Mann
Okay, bear in mind I am seeing it in Wordpad cause I don't have Word, so some of the visual things I point out may actually be okay, so ignore me if my comp shows things differently to you!

LAYOUT
It's very bland. Make the title in a larger font. I would also just put your name at the top, so Paula McInally - CV. In the main body, the only sections that should be the bold are the headers, not the main text. All your grades should be aligned so they run in a straight line (to me, English Language, Science and History grades are way to the left.

Your last paragraph before the end ('I have skills and qualities'), I would put at the top before qualifications, under the header 'Personal Objective'. I would get rid of the phrase 'I have the skills and qualities suited to customer service' as you cover that later on. Simply put in the objective paragraph what your aim is at this moment in time (something like "take my first steps in retail and develop myself into a good sales assistant"). Keep it short and sweet, so they know straight from the start what you want.

Double check your grammar. For example, "I work as a member of team in order to" does not make sense and gives a bad impression. Also, for a part time customer service job, I would delete the paragraph on hobbies and interests, as it holds no value.

Don't take what I say as gospel though. However, I used to work as a recruiter, and that would be my advice.

thanks for the tips that was really helpful :smile:
Reply 22
I hope this works, I've never uploaded anything on TSR before.

I am applying for a job at a local music shop next week and have sorted my CV out. I hope you're able to give me a few tips on how to improve it, because I'm never very sure about these. I know it was suggested that it's a good idea to put work experience at the top, but since I've not got any real work experience I don't know how good an idea that would be. I'm going to put a covering letter in as well and hand them in personally, so they see what a nice person I am and how perfect I would be for working in their shop (hopefully...) What I'm really rubbish at is writing profiles for things like this, so I'd really appreciate some help with that.

Anyway, have a look and tell me what you think. Thanks.
puppy
1) Get rid of the health bit at the top, it's sounds insulting and is a totally unecessary piece of information. Likewise I doubt anyone needs to know your birthplace, you just need your DOB, nationality, marital status and if you have a full, clean driving license then it's worth adding that too.

2) I'd reword most of the personal statement section as it doesn't seem to mean anything and also makes wild, unsupported claims about your abilities. It's very subjective and self-promoting (not in a good way).

3) Qualifications section is fine

4) Skills section could be cut down a lot. Again it makes unsupported claims. This is the kind of thing that will be dependent on the job you're applying for as you can gear all this stuff towards it. Definately don't use the word 'synthesise'. I think 'computer literate' and 'working knowledge of French' are the only things worth putting in as the other can either be infered from your grades or work experience or are largely unsubstantiated.

5) Work experience section could do with rewording; in a few places it sounds liek you've tried to make something sound more complicated than it actually is when it'd have been no less valuable to write it in plain English and it would have made the whole thing sound better written. There's no real need to write in full sentences either, would sound 'snappier' in more of a note form.

6) A lot of your awards sound like rather minor things to put on your CV and I'd recommend cutting them down so it doesn't read like a list of everything you've achieved since you were out of nappies. Try to stick to things that are actually relevant to what you're applying for and steer away from anything that doesn't really demonstrate any relevant skills. It's good to have a few things (like in your activities) that demonstrate a good work/life balance but you don't need to go too nuts.

7) Layout wouldn't be my choice but I doubt it'll do you any harm, seems clear enough and not too fussy.

Thanks a lot for that, appreciated. You say I should reword the personal statement bit. May I ask what the main point one tries to get across with when writing the personal statement?

With the layout, I think mine is slightly generic so any suggestions on a newer layout would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Right, I'm fully aware that my CV is rubbish for a start - I've been to 3 universities in 3 years, and not passed the 1st year of any of these courses. I have no impressive job history - 9 months part-time while in 6th form, and 5 weeks full time (which I also quit) being the two most significant things.

Basically I just want a bit of help - what to cut out (info about why I left uni's, etc?)Thought it looked better to explain rather than leaving them guessing though. What to add, what to lie about

Also - I've not specified my GCSE's subjects, the D happens to be in English, if I lied about this saying English was a C (some jobs like/require this) how likely are they to actually check?

Unsure of how this will come out, but here goes. CV:

Name, Address
Mobile: 0784*******, E-mail: [email protected]
Date of Birth: 24/01/1985

I recently discontinued with my university education and am currently seeking full-time employment.

EDUCATION

Sept 2005 Keele University
June 2006
I knew I could enjoy University, and I wanted to get a degree, so I went back for a third time, originally studying Maths and Economics (Dual Honours) but soon switched to single Maths again. I enjoyed Keele a lot, and feel I gained a lot, and benefited from my time there, despite albeit deciding that University was just not going to work for me.

Sept 2004 Birmingham University
~April 2005
I decided to go to university again the next year, starting a different course, and also having a new start, here I studied BSc Mathematical Sciences, but I did not enjoy my time at university, became de-motivated, and left halfway through my exams.

Sept 2003 Nottingham Trent University
Jan 2004
I started a three-year course, studying BSc (hons) Sports Science and Mathematics, however along with other personal circumstances soon decided that Sports Science was not the course for me.

Sept 1996 Bourne Grammar School
Jul 2003
A-levels: Mathematics (B), Sports Studies (C),
Further Maths (D), General Studies (E)

AS level Biology (E)

11 GCSE’s: 2 A’s, 3 B’s, 5 C’s, 1 D

WORK HISTORY

July 2005 Traffic Management Assistant
July 2005 Burghley Horse Trials,
(4 days work) Stamford, Lincs.

Responsibilities:
· Directing traffic to the specific designated parking area.
· Assisting the public with any enquiries, being as polite as possible due to the nature of the people attending this event.

May 2004 Data Entry Clerk
June 2004 Reality,
Worcester.

Responsibilities:
· Entering stock accurately and quickly onto the computer system, meeting rough hourly targets.

Jan 2003 General Assistant
Sept 2003 Morrisons
Stamford, Lincs.

I worked on the produce department part-time whilst studying for my A levels.

Responsibilities:
· Checking state of produce, taking off any bad stock
· Filling of produce stock, keeping displays full
· Ensuring correct rotation of stock, “first in, first out” policy
· Helping customers with enquiries, both with location of products and information about products

SKILLS

Computer literate I have a generally good level of computer literacy including good knowledge of MS Word and Excel, through my IT modules at University, and previously at school, and also from doing coursework assignments and using computers in my leisure time.

Working in a team when I was working at Morrisons much of the work involved dealing with, and merchandising the stock deliveries, in a team of up to eight people.

Being prepared to do a share of mundane tasks, e.g. cleaning I feel this is a quality you need when you work as all work is not going to be exciting or mentally challenging.

Resolving problems I feel through my Maths background I have learnt to deal with problems in a logical way.

Communication during my work at Morrisons I was able to develop good communication skills, both with the general public, and also with work colleagues.

Time management and organisation - while at school, managing school work, as well as my part time job, extra curricular activities and my social life was important for meeting deadlines. The same applied to University.

INTERESTS

I have a keen interest in music; I am mostly into different forms of punk music, I try to get to a fair amount of gigs, depending on location. For the last two years I’ve been to Reading Festival and this year I will be going to Leeds.
I am also an enthusiastic follower, and player of sport. As well as playing for a club for 4 years, I also previously played football at district level and represented Nottingham Forest on tour in Holland. I also represented my school in basketball, cricket, athletics and rugby. I still play football when I get the chance, but currently do not play competitively.

The main problem being my university situation and how to possibly make this sound positive, or something...To leave out any detail there?
erm how would someone without any work experience improve they're CV?? i can never find work, i have very bad luck i think.
Here's my CV if you can call it that....my brother gave my his and i just changed the data to my stuff, Id like to know about the layout, is it ok?
Btw i put in my predicted grades for some exams.

note: the technical summary & projects is my brothers.

EDIT: ok i changed it a bit, well just deleted some stuff.
Reply 26
Constructive criticism would be appreciated. :smile:

Incidentally, I'm applying for jobs in the City, in the finance sector ideally.
.S.O.S.
erm how would someone without any work experience improve they're CV?? i can never find work, i have very bad luck i think.
Here's my CV if you can call it that....

It's very hard to critique CVs which haven't the even covered the basics. Look at a CV help guide online (there are thousands) and sort out the glaring problems: take away the personal statement, restructure, reformat the list of grades (takes up too much space etc.) You'll notice all these things when you look at good quality CVs online.

The other thing is you do seem to have some good experiences you can talk about. Work experience doesn't have to be paid work. :wink:

Once you've completed a basic CV come back here and you'll get a much better response. :smile:
Dimez

First things that strike me:

1) It's not obvious you are looking for jobs in finance directly, perhaps this CV is too general purpose to target financial companies with? Maybe we could target it a bit better. Obviously the maths tutoring element is great but didn't seem to be highlighted. I don't know anything about the world of finance so I'll leave it at that. :p:

2) You use a lot of recruitment jargon. Personally I think CVs are better without the jargon and should be replaced with solid real life examples as proof instead. However, I don't know what recruiters and HR devils prefer, so I can't say much again.

And other things...

-Your name should be in a larger font, it doesn't stand out enough. Don't be afraid to make it huooooge. :wink:

-Fairly bland layout. Personally I don't care about this, but some may think it looks a bit boring. You've only used bullet points and a few indentations. It might be worth sticking all the info into a few different templates and then seeing which one strikes you as the most professional and smart.

-Education section needs a rescructuring to look neater. It's a tad hard to follow.

-Employment section is good, but this phrase seems a bit off:

"Much of the time, this is purely voluntary, without incentive, financial or otherwise."

So there is no incentive at all? What about improving your skills in general? It just sounds as if you didn't enjoy the experience much.

-You didn't include any figures in the employment section and sometimes this is a good way to impress people e.g. I tutored 50 pupils on a one-to-one basis over the course of ??? years or I led ??? kids on a field trip.

Another phrase:

•The job also involved taking the initiative, when necessary, and working under pressure.

I'd prefer a solid reason why you were under pressure, and how you took initiative, but rewording this bit is debatable.

We'll see what others think...
It would be great to have a thread on Covering letters too cos I never have a clue what to put in it!!
beach_surf_babe
It would be great to have a thread on Covering letters too cos I never have a clue what to put in it!!

I've got a great guide I found online. Let me fetch it...
Thanks for that!!
Reply 32
black_mamba
I've gotten really attached to my old CV and don't want to change it. I know that its 'ok' and what I need to work on are my covering letters and interview techniques, but first things first, can anyone spot any problems with my CV? All critisism (good and bad) is welcome. :biggrin:

Also my CV is cool because David Hasslehoff is in it. :top:

Personally, I'd make more of the skills & experience kinda stuff and less of the academics. You've got pretty impressive grades but I'm still not sure I'd let them take up that much space on the CV to be honest. Apart from that though, CV looks good :smile: (though obviously I'm no expert!).
Have attached mine here - doesn't have this year's work experience on it but any feedback would be appreciated before I go into the whole graduate recruitment thing this year!
Jenn xx
Reply 33
beach_surf_babe

Thread title altered.
Reply 34
sssh
I hope this works, I've never uploaded anything on TSR before.

I am applying for a job at a local music shop next week and have sorted my CV out. I hope you're able to give me a few tips on how to improve it, because I'm never very sure about these. I know it was suggested that it's a good idea to put work experience at the top, but since I've not got any real work experience I don't know how good an idea that would be. I'm going to put a covering letter in as well and hand them in personally, so they see what a nice person I am and how perfect I would be for working in their shop (hopefully...) What I'm really rubbish at is writing profiles for things like this, so I'd really appreciate some help with that.

Anyway, have a look and tell me what you think. Thanks.

1) For a job in retail which I assume is part time or temporary three pages is waaaaaay too much.

2) You have written a lot about music but nothing about what makes you suitable for working in a shop. You haven't really highlighted responsibilities or people skills which I think you could make more apparent.

3) Far too wordy, don't write in sentences, don't state the obvious (in a moronic way) and don't repeat yourself. Best example I could find: · I have been involved with numerous French exchanges and am able to speak, read and write the language fairly confidently. I intend to continue studying it part-time next year and hope to spend a semester abroad.

- firstly, I doubt a music shop cares that you might spend a term abroad and secondly, 'working knowledge of French' or 'fluent in French' or whatever you feel confident putting as your level of fluency is completely adequate rather than a whole paragraph about your involvement with the language.

4) Format is not terribly good- you use the same font size and underlining for headings and subheadings which is very confusing. Also, use a larger space between the end of one paragraph and the following heading than between a heading and the paragraph that belongs to it so that it's clear what belongs to what. I'd personally use a different font, something sans serif as it's clearer to read.

5) Cut down the information you're giving, you are using far too many headings which also makes it confusing to read- it reads a bit like a random list of your achievements. Your entire 'Interests' section could pretty much be summarised as an 'Additional Skill' section: 'Grade 5 musical theory, grade 8 in piano, clarinet and saxophone, working knowledge of French, computer literate, Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award' - even then, I'm not sure they're all relevant to what you're applying to.

6) In short: make it far shorter and snappier, get rid of irrelevant information, reformat it, change it to suit what you're applying for and include something to do with working in a shop, not just music.
Reply 35
puppy
1) For a job in retail which I assume is part time or temporary three pages is waaaaaay too much.

2) You have written a lot about music but nothing about what makes you suitable for working in a shop. You haven't really highlighted responsibilities or people skills which I think you could make more apparent.

3) Far too wordy, don't write in sentences, don't state the obvious (in a moronic way) and don't repeat yourself. Best example I could find: · I have been involved with numerous French exchanges and am able to speak, read and write the language fairly confidently. I intend to continue studying it part-time next year and hope to spend a semester abroad.

- firstly, I doubt a music shop cares that you might spend a term abroad and secondly, 'working knowledge of French' or 'fluent in French' or whatever you feel confident putting as your level of fluency is completely adequate rather than a whole paragraph about your involvement with the language.

4) Format is not terribly good- you use the same font size and underlining for headings and subheadings which is very confusing. Also, use a larger space between the end of one paragraph and the following heading than between a heading and the paragraph that belongs to it so that it's clear what belongs to what. I'd personally use a different font, something sans serif as it's clearer to read.

5) Cut down the information you're giving, you are using far too many headings which also makes it confusing to read- it reads a bit like a random list of your achievements. Your entire 'Interests' section could pretty much be summarised as an 'Additional Skill' section: 'Grade 5 musical theory, grade 8 in piano, clarinet and saxophone, working knowledge of French, computer literate, Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award' - even then, I'm not sure they're all relevant to what you're applying to.

6) In short: make it far shorter and snappier, get rid of irrelevant information, reformat it, change it to suit what you're applying for and include something to do with working in a shop, not just music.

Nevermind, I've done it for you. You need to add your personal details obviously and maybe add some extra info i.e. a typing speed or whatever.
Reply 36
Dimez

Don't you need a degree for that? A lot of places just use online applications rather than CVs I think so you might not even need one.
Reply 37
puppy
Don't you need a degree for that? A lot of places just use online applications rather than CVs I think so you might not even need one.

I'm taking a gap year so am applying for year-long internships. Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. :wink:
Can someone have a look at my CV and tell me what you think, how I can improve it etc. Its pretty basic so would like some ideas!
Reply 39
beach_surf_babe
Can someone have a look at my CV and tell me what you think, how I can improve it etc. Its pretty basic so would like some ideas!

A few suggestions:
1. No need to include marital status and certainly not "non-driver" in the personal details. Wouldn't bother with nationality either unless they specifically request it. Also no need to put age since you've given the DOB, and you don't even need to give that unless you want to. I'd just have name, DOB if you want, address, telephone (plus mob) and email (if you have one - get a separate one for jobs that's like you're name rather than being a nickname or something funny).
2. Don't specify your reason for leaving jobs. If an employer is interested, they'll ask.
3. Make more of the skills you've learned from your work experience. Sounds like you've got a lot of cleaning, waitressing, etc. experience but consider skills you can use in every job like teamwork as well as just listing your responsibilities.
4. I wouldn't bother including your two 1 week work experiences unless you're specifically going for something relevant (e.g. apply to work on a kids camp as a gymnastics instructor).
5. Secondary education doesn't need to list everything. I'd list it more like:
A2: <subjects and grades>
AS: French (D)
GCSE: 9 subjects at grades A & B including Maths and English.
GNVQ Intermediate ICT (Merit)
6. I wouldn't give your school prior to 2002 - no need.
7. If you can fit all of that on one page, I wouldn't include references. If the company has decided they want you enough to check references, they'll probably have let you know already and you'll have the chance to provide them then. If it's spilling on to two pages anyway then you could stick them down.
8. Overall it looks rather plain - very simple but also very boring. I'd at least use bullet points to break it up a bit and tables might help you lay things out neatly.
Hope that helps!
Jenn xx

Latest

Trending

Trending