louisw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys,

I am taking the g064 ocr ict course and have got to the designing stage of normalisation. The company I am creating a database for is an ebay shop that sells model cars.

This is what I currently have.

CUSTOMER (CustomerID, CustomerForename, CustomerSurname, CustomerAddress 1, CustomerAddress 2, CustomerPostcode, CustomerMobileNumber, CustomerLandlineNumber, Customer Email Address, Existing customer?)

ORDER (OrderNumber,CustomerID, VehicleID, Cost of item, VAT, Total Cost of Order, Order Date)

VEHICLE (VehicleID, OrderNumber, SupplierID, Purchase Price, Sale Price, Dispatch Status, Brief Description)

MEETING (MeetingID,SupplierID, Meeting Address 1, Meeting Address 2, Meeting Postcode, Time of meeting, Date of meeting)

SUPPLIER (SupplierID, Supplier Forename, Supplier Surname, Supplier Address 1, Supplier Address 2, Supplier Postcode, Supplier Mobile Number, Supplier Landline)

PAYMENT (PaymentID, CustomerID, Payment Method, Payment Received? Date of payment received,Customer Owes, Customer past payments, Payment Prompt 1, Payment prompt 2)

The foreign keys are in italics with primary keys underlined.
Does this look correct for 1NF? I am unsure how to go about making it 2NF and 3NF as I do not have any many to many relationships. Well, any that I know of! I may have done this wrong and need you guys to help me.

If you were able to reply ASAP that would be of great help as I've looked all over online but cannot find any proper help. I dont want to fall behind further in lesson just because I am stuck and worried about this particular stage of the project.

Thanks very much
Regards,
Louis.
Push_More_Button
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you created an Entity Relationship Diagram?
louisw
Rep:
?
Attached is a picture of the ERD. not sure if 100% correct though. I'd be happy for you to change it appropriately.

Thanks
Attached files
louisw
Rep:
?
Bump
Push_More_Button
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is your ERD with respect to fields.

Whilst this database model would work, it won't work well.

I don't want to do this for you, so here are some thoughts to point you in the right direction...

You need to consider your two most important tables: CUSTOMER and VEHICLE.
In this scenario it's what you're selling, and to who.

Your CUSTOMER table should include all the information about your customer - so their name, address and contact details.
(BTW, what is 'Existing Customer?' for?)

Your VEHICLE table should include all the information about the model vehicle that is for sale - so it's name, description and price.

In an ebay shop how would their product (VEHICLE) be sold to a CUSTOMER?

The CUSTOMER would make an ORDER for a VEHICLE.

In your ORDER table you would need your foreign keys (to CUSTOMER and VEHICLE) so you know who's buying what. You would also want to check on the PAYMENT of the order here.

Take another look at your relationships and and check whether you have your fields in the right tables.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads