Moving to Cambridgeshire HELP!!

Watch
neenaw999
Badges: 3
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My mums job (in pharmesuticals) may be moving to Cambridgeshire, but we aren't sure where abouts we would like to go. Preferably somewhere pretty, historic and with good schools. Please could you comment below any suggestions.
Thanks Emily xx
dotty_but_good
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you after private or state schools, with private you have a number of options but for state schools your best bet is Cambridge itself. You can live in a village outside, the village secondarys are really good or live in the city where the city secondarys are good too ( possibly with the exception of Manor - which is improving but hasn't got the good reputation of the rest). You want to be within commuting distance of the city for sixth form because Hills Road and Long Road the two really good sixth form colleges are in the city. Hills Road is exceptional if you are academic, it was amongst the top 10 in the country by absolute numbers for students going to Oxbridge ( all the others were private schools).
neenaw999
(Original post by dotty_but_good)
Are you after private or state schools, with private you have a number of options but for state schools your best bet is Cambridge itself. You can live in a village outside, the village secondarys are really good or live in the city where the city secondarys are good too ( possibly with the exception of Manor - which is improving but hasn't got the good reputation of the rest). You want to be within commuting distance of the city for sixth form because Hills Road and Long Road the two really good sixth form colleges are in the city. Hills Road is exceptional if you are academic, it was amongst the top 10 in the country by absolute numbers for students going to Oxbridge ( all the others were private schools).
Thanks for that we are looking for state schools- Hills road looks great! Which villages would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
cupcakes1298
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm from cambridgeshire and we're planning on moving to March to be closer to my mums job and hills road sixth form as it is 30/40 mins on the train compared with 1 3/4 hours on the bus from my current village, i'd say look at the guided bus route, places that have a direct train link (or one transfer) and other places with a direct bus service. Then choose according to how much house you can get for your money (quite a bit in March) how long you'd have to travel for and if its a nice area
Roloing_around
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
TBH most places in Cambridgeshire are good places to live. Cambridge, Huntingdon, Peterborough and St. Neots probably have the best links to rest of country(trains to and from London stop at these, Peterborough linked to majority of Northern England via train).

The best schools are probably in Cambridge with a mix of State and private, with good sixth forms and regional colleges aswell.
dotty_but_good
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by meemily)
Thanks for that we are looking for state schools- Hills road looks great! Which villages would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have lived in Cambridge my whole life so am not that clued up about villages. I know Comberton village college is good, as is Impington VC, so if you still need to do any years at senior school they may be worth looking at.
neenaw999
Thanks everyone, this has really helped. Off to do my research now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (12)
7.36%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (27)
16.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (26)
15.95%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
14.72%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (45)
27.61%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (29)
17.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise