The Student Room Group

RAF Engineering Officer

Hi,
I'm considering taking Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering at University, and I was wondering; would it be better to get a BEng from a University which is more respected, or get an MEng from a less respected University?
Obviously both would have to be accredited by the Council of Chartered Engineers.

Thank you.
It doesn't really matter which university you choose so long as when it comes to your selection process you can show that you kept on top of your academics, were active in sports teams and showed elements of initiative and leadership (i.e club/society committee positions, leading expeditions etc)
As far as BEng/MEng goes, either is fine, obviously 4 year courses gets you the seniority, that bit more life experience before you join and a step closer to getting chartered but you can do a Masters while in the RAF as well.
It would also help if the university you chose had a strong UAS attached to it.

Out of interest, are you considering AS or CE?
Reply 2
Original post by SummerAnthems
It doesn't really matter which university you choose so long as when it comes to your selection process you can show that you kept on top of your academics, were active in sports teams and showed elements of initiative and leadership (i.e club/society committee positions, leading expeditions etc)
As far as BEng/MEng goes, either is fine, obviously 4 year courses gets you the seniority, that bit more life experience before you join and a step closer to getting chartered but you can do a Masters while in the RAF as well.
It would also help if the university you chose had a strong UAS attached to it.

Out of interest, are you considering AS or CE?

Thanks for the response, I'm considering Aerosystems. I've been looking at different UAS too, not sure about how strong each one is though.
You are thinking rather to hard about this. UAS are UAS are UAS. They all ebb and flow depending on students and staff. The RAF would rather see a well rounded individual over a pure academic focused on nothing but the highest grade.
Reply 4
Ignore the "look for a strong UAS" comment. Look for a UAS, by all means, but as Pro says, strong is the wrong word.

Do the degree at the place you'll enjoy the most. You're the one who's going to live there for 3 or 4 years therefore you should decide where you'd prefer to live.
Original post by ProStacker
x

Original post by Drewski
x

Yes perhaps strong was not the right word. Joining a UAS/OTC/URNU maybe wouldn't give you an advantage over other candidates, but it would be good for you personally to gain a small insight into RAF life.

Drewski's nailed it though, go where you want to go. In the four years between now and your graduation, a lot will change. Your career aspirations and interests may be totally different from what they are now.

Quick Reply

Latest