The Student Room Group

Is it important to have a House of Commons that looks like Britain?

The House of Commons in its current state is largely dominated by old, white men, many of whom have degrees.

(Please not that I'm not saying ALL MPs but most of them)

Do you think it's important to have more female MPs? More working class MPs?more racially diverse MPs? If so, why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by sallyware
The House of Commons in its current state is largely dominated by old, white men, many of whom have degrees.

Do you think it's important to have more female MPs? More working class MPs?more racially diverse MPs? If so, why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of England represents the House of Commons.
The diversity we speak of is not common place in England in general terms.
London and the like are exceptions to how most of England truly is.
Though a good idea for various reasons.
Reply 2
Why does it matter for ****s sake??
Original post by sallyware

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely! Problem is when MPs "retire" they become Lords for life. A more mixed parliament (with some students) would be nice.
No. The race/gender/age/sexual orientation of a politician should be irrelevant... if they are good at their job (which is actually fairly difficult) then that's all the qualification they need.

NB. Being a good MP is about being able to listen and empahise with other peoples point of view and to evaluate evidence in a methodical and logical manner. If you can do those things it doesn't matter if you've had a 'proper job' because you will still be able to act in the best intrest of your constituents/the country as a whole.
Reply 5
I want good MP's who know what they're doing.
Reply 6
He who can serve best should be in politics.

I don't particularly care how the HoC or any parliament in the world looks, it is more important for the institution to be filled with people who could do the work best.
Reply 7
If men are better at being MPs then so be it! We shouldn't make women MPs because they are women, they need to work hard and earn it just like the men have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
No. Quotas make something weaker, not stronger.
Reply 9
I don't care so much about any of that stuff, but I do think MPs shouldn't be allowed to be ministers unless they've had several years of relevant experience in the real world - and as a worker or manager, not just a director or investor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending