LSE1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I do A-level History and I am pretty good at it always getting A's and B's. However, I want to get an A* as a final A-level grade and I know it all comes down to essay writing. Can anyone who has done CAMBRIDGE OR any INTERNATIONAL Qualifications help??

Please... I just need pointers on how to write the essays like the structure and really what the examiners are looking for to be honest..

Thank you!
LSE1996
Rep:
?
bump
LSE1996
Rep:
?
bump A-****ING-GAIN
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do A level history but I'm not sure if I'll be much help what I do is:

Introduction: it's always best to address the question straight away. For example, if the question was something along the lines of "how far do you agree that Hitler's popularity was the main reason for the rise of the Nazi Party?" You'd start by saying something like "it was evident that Hitler's popularity played an integral part in the rise of the Nazi Party". I'd then give a brief outline of why. I'd then go on to say "however, there were other factors that allowed the Nazi Party to thrive such as the Wall Street Crash, electoral success in 1930 and 1932 etc.

First paragraph: always start with the mentioned factor in the question (if there is one of course). Keep referring back to the question, I can't stress this enough, it will show the examiner that you're able to keep the focus and know what you're talking about! Once you've made all of your points, do a mini conclusion about how much of a part this factor contributed.

Second paragraph: I'd then start the next paragraph with something like "Despite the fact the popularity of Hitler greatly contributed towards the rise of the Nazi Party, the Wall Street Crash perhaps challenges this." Obviously I'd then go on to state the evidence, again doing a little summary at the end of the paragraph about its significance.

Do the same for the other factors. One thing I'd say is extremely vital is to avoid unnecessary narrative. Obviously some will be required to put your answer into context, but don't write it like you're note taking it'll be a waste of your time and you won't get much credit for it

Conclusion: obviously here you take into account all of the factors. Here I'd state whether or not I believed it was Hitler's popularity, if I agree I'd clearly say so, if not, I'd choose the factor(s) that I believed played a greater part. It's best to show the examiner you do have an opinion rather than considering each factor equally (unless they were equal, which tends to be unlikely)

Oh and try to add a lot of facts, dates, statistics etc, they really enhance your answer and show the advancement of your knowledge

Sorry, I had to choose the Nazis as that's what I'm studying. And I haven't finished my A level, I'm doing A2 History at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile
LSE1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy96)
I do A level history but I'm not sure if I'll be much help what I do is:

Introduction: it's always best to address the question straight away. For example, if the question was something along the lines of "how far do you agree that Hitler's popularity was the main reason for the rise of the Nazi Party?" You'd start by saying something like "it was evident that Hitler's popularity played an integral part in the rise of the Nazi Party". I'd then give a brief outline of why. I'd then go on to say "however, there were other factors that allowed the Nazi Party to thrive such as the Wall Street Crash, electoral success in 1930 and 1932 etc.

First paragraph: always start with the mentioned factor in the question (if there is one of course). Keep referring back to the question, I can't stress this enough, it will show the examiner that you're able to keep the focus and know what you're talking about! Once you've made all of your points, do a mini conclusion about how much of a part this factor contributed.

Second paragraph: I'd then start the next paragraph with something like "Despite the fact the popularity of Hitler greatly contributed towards the rise of the Nazi Party, the Wall Street Crash perhaps challenges this." Obviously I'd then go on to state the evidence, again doing a little summary at the end of the paragraph about its significance.

Do the same for the other factors. One thing I'd say is extremely vital is to avoid unnecessary narrative. Obviously some will be required to put your answer into context, but don't write it like you're note taking it'll be a waste of your time and you won't get much credit for it

Conclusion: obviously here you take into account all of the factors. Here I'd state whether or not I believed it was Hitler's popularity, if I agree I'd clearly say so, if not, I'd choose the factor(s) that I believed played a greater part. It's best to show the examiner you do have an opinion rather than considering each factor equally (unless they were equal, which tends to be unlikely)

Oh and try to add a lot of facts, dates, statistics etc, they really enhance your answer and show the advancement of your knowledge

Sorry, I had to choose the Nazis as that's what I'm studying. And I haven't finished my A level, I'm doing A2 History at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense... I'm going to start practising this! I'm did the Nazis for AS and I'm doing the Cold War and United Nations for A2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (60)
40.82%
Take autumn exams (53)
36.05%
Look for a job (3)
2.04%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.72%
Take a year out (19)
12.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.44%

Watched Threads