The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
28, finishing my access program this year and start Medicine in September :smile:
Im 39 at the moment and will be 40 by my start date in september.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am 50, my daughter is already at Uni, she thinks I'm having a 'mid life crisis'. I was really quite jealous of her starting last year, then I thought to myself, 'what's stopping me!' After 34 years of working in mundane jobs I am finally going to do something for ME, I can't wait to get started!
Hello all,

I am 38. I am an international applicant aiming for a professional doctorate.
Original post by lancsgirl
I am 50, my daughter is already at Uni, she thinks I'm having a 'mid life crisis'. I was really quite jealous of her starting last year, then I thought to myself, 'what's stopping me!' After 34 years of working in mundane jobs I am finally going to do something for ME, I can't wait to get started!

Likewise. Accompanying my son to open days last year made me realise how much I've regretted not going to university myself. As it also happened to coincide with a lessening of my caring responsibilities, I took the plunge and started an Access course last September. I'm 48 btw.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Likewise. Accompanying my son to open days last year made me realise how much I've regretted not going to university myself. As it also happened to coincide with a lessening of my caring responsibilities, I took the plunge and started an Access course last September. I'm 48 btw.

Just goes to show you're never too old! Great to find another genuine 'mature' student, good luck with your studies.
Just goes to show you're never too old! Great to find another genuine 'mature' student, good luck with your studies.

Thank you. Good luck to you too. What are your plans?
Reply 67

I'm definitely having a mid-life crisis.
Reply 68
I'm 40 and I'll be starting an undergraduate Masters in Environmental Chemistry. I intend to apply for one of the studio rooms on campus because the idea of sharing with teenagers fills me with dread. I am quite particular about the tidiness of my environment (unlike the 18 year old me!) and I am a light sleeper (unlike the 18 year old me who could sleep behind speaker stacks!).
25 when I started my degree, I'm now 26.
I am 50, my daughter is already at Uni.. I was really quite jealous of her starting last year

Likewise. Accompanying my son to open days last year made me realise how much I've regretted not going to university myself

Yep, same here, my daughter starting uni was the thing that sent me back to study.

I'd not thought about it for years and years, and assumed that you still had to be 18 to start a degree, 21 for a Masters, 22 for a PhD - and if you didn't do it at that age then you'd missed the boat. I had no idea that the university system is now far more geared up for mature students (and really mature students!)
Original post by Jantaculum
Yep, same here, my daughter starting uni was the thing that sent me back to study.

I'd not thought about it for years and years, and assumed that you still had to be 18 to start a degree, 21 for a Masters, 22 for a PhD - and if you didn't do it at that age then you'd missed the boat. I had no idea that the university system is now far more geared up for mature students (and really mature students!)

I'm loving the idea of all us middle-aged mums following in our children's footsteps. We'll be asking them to help us with our homework next.
I'm loving the idea of all us middle-aged mums following in our children's footsteps. We'll be asking them to help us with our homework next.

mmm - might already do that :redface:

(she's an English graduate - very useful for checking my assignments)
Hiya,

I'm 24 and will be starting university in September studying Physiotherapy.
Initially, I wasn't going to live in halls but I have recently changed my mind, the reason being I was slightly worried I wouldn't make many friends or be involved in the social aspect of things (even though I am not one of these to be out a lot plus the course seems very demanding). I figured if I am going to university I will go the whole hog and go into the halls and if I hate it...it's only for a few months at a time haha.
Original post by Butterfly23
Hiya,

I'm 24 and will be starting university in September studying Physiotherapy.
Initially, I wasn't going to live in halls but I have recently changed my mind, the reason being I was slightly worried I wouldn't make many friends or be involved in the social aspect of things (even though I am not one of these to be out a lot plus the course seems very demanding). I figured if I am going to university I will go the whole hog and go into the halls and if I hate it...it's only for a few months at a time haha.

And it's only for the first year! Most students go for private accommodation after that. I'm 25 and I've gone for halls because I want to have that experience at least once in my life.
Reply 75
Original post by New- Emperor
O I am 29 and thinking about going back to uni I was just wondering how old mature students usually are? just depend weather i would be better off trying pot luck with all students or be better off asking to be put with mature students. in halls?

Maybe be a bit late to reply... BUT I am "mature" at 22 and everyone in my halls was 18 when we started!!! ..... and you do notice the difference in maturity.....
Original post by Frankston
And it's only for the first year! Most students go for private accommodation after that. I'm 25 and I've gone for halls because I want to have that experience at least once in my life.

Exactly. Me too I've applied for halls but just waiting to hear back. What and where are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly23
Exactly. Me too I've applied for halls but just waiting to hear back. What and where are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mechanical engineering at Swansea University
Reply 78
I will be 52 when I start uni in september👵 lol but I actually don't care, I'm doing something I want to do 😻 xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
I've just applied to my 3rd undergraduate degree (don't ask! lol) and I'll be 28 when I start. I think because of the kind of course it is there will be quite a few mature students.

Latest