Help creating a running total of outgoings.

Watch
feathered-soul
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I currently have an excel sheet with my monthly budget in but I really want another spreadsheet which has a running total of my outgoings in so I can keep a closer eye on my spending- the big pile of receipts doesn't actually help me see how much I'm spending!

The problem is that its been years since I've had to deal with excel and I can't remember any of the functions. Can anyone help me with setting up the spreadsheet (or has one i can use )?
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by feathered-soul)
I currently have an excel sheet with my monthly budget in but I really want another spreadsheet which has a running total of my outgoings in so I can keep a closer eye on my spending- the big pile of receipts doesn't actually help me see how much I'm spending!

The problem is that its been years since I've had to deal with excel and I can't remember any of the functions. Can anyone help me with setting up the spreadsheet (or has one i can use )?
Do you have a smart phone? There are a number of free apps which let you track and categorise spending as you do it. Much easier to keep track of and calculate monthly costs etc.
feathered-soul
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Do you have a smart phone? There are a number of free apps which let you track and categorise spending as you do it. Much easier to keep track of and calculate monthly costs etc.

Yeah I do, I'll look into one. I'd rather have one on my laptop as well though
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All you'd really need for the functions is SUM. You then add up your weekly / monthly income and take away your expenditure.

For example:

=SUM(C7-D7)

C7 being total income and D7 being total expenditure.

If you want to add several values, you'd do =SUM(A1:A10) This adds all numbers in A1 to A10.
Ben_K
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
All you'd really need for the functions is SUM. You then add up your weekly / monthly income and take away your expenditure.

For example:

=SUM(C7-D7)

If you want to add several values, you'd do =SUM(A1:A10) This adds all numbers in A1 to A10.
She might want to create graphs using Monte carlo simulation and What If statements...
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ben_K)
She might want to create graphs using Monte carlo simulation and What If statements...
Good idea! Not used Excel for those things for years and can't remember how they work.
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by feathered-soul)

Start a new spreadsheet with the following:

DATE | DESCRIPTION | AMOUNT | <---Analysis-->

Where it says <--Analysis--> you type type different expenses into each column, for example: Food | Clothes | Travel | Other etc...

Then you take your pile of receipts and enter them into the table, for example:

DATE .. | .. DESCRIPTION | .. AMOUNT | Food | Clothes | Travel | .. Other |
1/1/14..|..Train ticket.......|...£15.........|. ............|...............|... £15...|............|
3/1/14..|..Cafe lunch........|...£.5..........| .....£5....|...............|... ........|............|

Then a few rows under you can total up the columns:

DATE .. | .. DESCRIPTION |.. AMOUNT | Food |.Clothes | Travel | .. Other |
1/1/14..|..Train ticket.......|...£15.........|. ............|...............|... £15...|............|
3/1/14..|..Cafe lunch........|...£.5..........| .....£5....|...............|... ........|............|
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
................................ .....|....£20........|.....£5. ...|...............|...£15....| ...........|
================================ ===================
You can use =SUM(C2:C3) to automatically add each column up (just change the cell references).

Doing it this way you can see exactly how much you spend and and on what. Sound like a long way of doing it but if you set aside 10 minutes at the end of the day just to type in any receipts you have from the day then it won't take long. You can stop it at the end of each month and start a new one. Then you can see how much in total you have spent for the month (Amount column) and how this is split up (by the analysis columns). The total of the analysis columns should always equal to total of the 'Amount' column.

(Original post by OU Student)
For example:

=SUM(C7-D7)

You can make it even simpler- you don't need to type SUM, just =C7-D7 will work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads