The Student Room Group

How do you know if engineering is right for you?

Hi there,

I'm currently at uni studying Biomedical Sciences after a long couple of years of suicidality and depression. I sort of fell into this, but I'm not happy with it and I'm thinking of applying to some Foundation years in Engineering.

I don't want to naively rush off into it though. I wanted to ask others why they chose it and how they found it.

I hate the focus on rote memorisation on my current degree, with very little analysis or reasoning, for instance. How much of engineering focuses on memorisation?

What kinds of things do you do on your degree? I mean, obviously Mathematics and Physics, but is there anything you weren't expecting?

Has anyone taken a foundation year engineering, particularly people without A level Maths and Physics?

Finally, I have looked into Biomedical Engineering. There only seem to be a few undergrad courses in this area, and I was wondering, is it mainly a postgraduate thing? Can other engineering courses lead into this field?

Thank you!
If you're a practically minded person that enjoys solving real world, usually industrial type, problems either by creating a new solution to them or improving an existing one then engineering is for you.

Yes, there is definitely some memorisation in the degree, although probably not as much as in your current degree. There is lots of analysis, usually either by using hand calculations or a computer simulation, with lots of reasoning, which usually takes the form of writing. There's also lots of practical work too, usually in groups since it allows the uni to save on materials and allows much larger projects to be undertaken.
Original post by Smack
If you're a practically minded person that enjoys solving real world, usually industrial type, problems either by creating a new solution to them or improving an existing one then engineering is for you.

Yes, there is definitely some memorisation in the degree, although probably not as much as in your current degree. There is lots of analysis, usually either by using hand calculations or a computer simulation, with lots of reasoning, which usually takes the form of writing. There's also lots of practical work too, usually in groups since it allows the uni to save on materials and allows much larger projects to be undertaken.

Thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest