Is overthinking bad for you

Watch
Rubysmith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Is it a bad thing to think too much? I think a lot and feel i over-think because I dont want to miss anything. Do you feel its bad or good? Is it something that happens to our generation?
Regency
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be honest every time I over think the situation just gets worst
bingbashbosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
^^ This

It's a good thing to think before you do something but overthinking can drive someone crazy and skew things out of proportion. Best just to take things at face value and move forward. I tend to overthink things if I'm bored :P
FlavaFavourFruit
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not healthy tbh
Ornlu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I otherthink, but mainly regarding philosophy and religion, which is both positive and negative (I will not explain this further, though, unless I'm asked to). Generally speaking, I sometimes overthink things - I set goals for myself, or think about things that I want to happen or do; I end up spending so much time thinking, that I have even less time to do these planned things or do the things that will facilitate the acheivement of my goals - the trick is setting up one's brain so that one can do, rather than just think.
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been over thinking about over thinking again...
Rubysmith
Rep:
?
Its just the case or overthinking to the point to talk yourself down of the things you want to do, like something you might enjoy for example playing the piano. You talk yourself out of it because you think "what if i dont like it? do i really want to spend that much on lessons or a piano, where will i find a teacher? male or female? female because I am girl, but what if she`s mean? do i really to go through that hassle? what would do with this? I will never be good so why try- THINGS LIKE THIS.
Cashmee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well it can be good or bad. But I do know one thing for certain.
People overthink so they expect what will happen within their calculations, they will not be perplexed/scared even if they are doing something horrible, but if something unexpected happened most will be ******** themselves.
Rubysmith
Rep:
?
(Original post by chocolatesauce)
i've been over thinking about over thinking again...
thinkception :d
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At what point does thinking became 'over'?
moment of truth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know exactly what you mean, I tend to over think when I am about to take a very important decision which is probably understandable but it is not always necessary.
chocolatesauce
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by moment of truth)
I know exactly what you mean, I tend to over think when I am about to take a very important decision which is probably understandable but it is not always necessary.
apparently you make the best decisions when you're angry
username418231
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Regency)
To be honest every time I over think the situation just gets worst

(Original post by bingbashbosh)
^^ This

It's a good thing to think before you do something but overthinking can drive someone crazy and skew things out of proportion. Best just to take things at face value and move forward. I tend to overthink things if I'm bored :P
This.

Overthinking is not good for the mind, it is very unhealthy.
Rubysmith
Rep:
?
(Original post by meenu89)
When you realise you constantly and unnecessarily do it. but you cant stop because you dont want to be the one having regrettable things in the past
Maximillion.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
This must've sounded funnier in your head where it should've remained.
Are you Shaw?
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, often a situation can seem very simple and on second thought be incredibly complex, and yet had you only known of the simplicity of the situation you could have mastered it, you can see this manifested in quite a lot of phobias actually, a fear of heights concentrating on the thought of falling rather than on something else.
bluebubblegum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I over think almost everything, don't know whether its good or bad.
Rubysmith
Rep:
?
I think media has something to do with it. Think of the kind of debates that you see on TSR for example "is referring to girls as females creepy" I mean fair enough its a good question and my answer would be no because the word originates from science and is used as a general term for girls/women/mistresses etc + its better than hoes. BUT when you click on the debate you are blasted with tons and tons of information and perspectives for such a (in my opinion) a relatively simple question. You dont need to think that much for a question like that.

This is something that shouldnt be debated but nowadays err-thing you hear or see that is even remotely controversial id blown-up that I think we lose focus on what should be thought of in detail and what shouldn`t.

Very soon there will be nationwide discussions on whether or not supermarkets should sell ice-cream
DotComBoom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh I am guilty of overthinking.

I don't know why I do it as it doesn't put me at ease or make me more confident in my judgements, but I feel a need to ensure that I've weighed up every aspect of a situation.

Unsurprisingly I'm quite the worrier as well.
may348
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do it all the time. The problem with over thinking is that it causes you to think in cycles/keep doubting yourself, and there's no end. This should happen/I should do this --> but what if --> but then again --> no, this --> but wait...

It's very hard to come to a conclusion this way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads