The Student Room Group

post -natal mother killing baby = sympathy but ptsd soldier = execute?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2541307/Soldier-killed-20-month-old-daughter-surviving-rogue-attack-Afghanistan-jailed-six-years.html?login#readerCommentsCommand-message-field

Looking through the comments, it makes me angry how people are sympathetic towards mothers who kill their children but a soldier who loses 5 friends and has PTSD is a "monster" who should be put down?

I understand that what he did was unforgivable and he killed but shouldn't it be the same for the women who kill their babies?

I don't want this to be a feminist blabla, this is just my opinion.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People who moralise over crimes are usually ****ing stupid. It's quite obvious that those who commit serious and unpleasant crimes usually have a great deal of emotional instability.
Nothing new. Grass is green...birds fly.... women get more lenient sentences for same crimes than men do. All part of the patriarchy apparently.
I feel sorry for him. It might not be his fault. He asked for help and he didn't get it. I'm not saying that he shouldn't go to prison because I'm not his psychiatrist but maybe a secure mental hospital is a better place for him so he can get treatment for his problems.
Reply 4
Original post by Michaelj
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2541307/Soldier-killed-20-month-old-daughter-surviving-rogue-attack-Afghanistan-jailed-six-years.html?login#readerCommentsCommand-message-field

Looking through the comments, it makes me angry how people are sympathetic towards mothers who kill their children but a soldier who loses 5 friends and has PTSD is a "monster" who should be put down?

I understand that what he did was unforgivable and he killed but shouldn't it be the same for the women who kill their babies?

I don't want this to be a feminist blabla, this is just my opinion.

The fifth most liked comment blames the woman for having a baby with him...

This is the DM, they're full of hate and bile and sexist to boot.

Would you mind digging up a story about a woman killing her kids for comparison?
Reply 5
Original post by redferry

Would you mind digging up a story about a woman killing her kids for comparison?

I second this as well, need to see both stories or a similar story to compare before jumping to conclusions. Though I must say I suspect the OP may be right nevertheless, it is certainly worrying if the title is correct. And unlike many others, I'm reserved in my feelings towards this case, I think the comments like 'monster' or 'execute him' are bloody stupid considering these people neither knew the guy, nor how badly mentally damaged he was and what his mind was like when he did it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sympathising with him either, just not instantly jumping to conclusions like so many (especially DM readers) do in these cases.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Olie
I second this as well, need to see both stories or a similar story to compare before jumping to conclusions. Though I must say I suspect the OP may be right nevertheless, it is certainly worrying if the title is correct. And unlike many others, I'm reserved in my feelings towards this case, I think the comments like 'monster' or 'execute him' are bloody stupid considering these people neither knew the guy, nor how badly mentally damaged he was and what his mind was like when he did it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sympathising with him either, just not instantly jumping to conclusions like so many (especially DM readers) do in these cases.

Original post by redferry

Well, I remember a DM article from ages ago where a post-natal mother killed her baby. A lot of the DM readers were actually sympathising with her because of the post-natal depression. People getting red-arrowed were the ones suggesting that the mother be locked away etc. (This was also the case of student room news forums)

I'm sure you could find an article with google search...
Original post by L i b
People who moralise over crimes are usually ****ing stupid. It's quite obvious that those who commit serious and unpleasant crimes usually have a great deal of emotional instability.

It's like when a paedophile in prison gets beaten up by a murderer or a rapist, as if they have the moral high ground.
Reply 8
Well, I remember a DM article from ages ago where a post-natal mother killed her baby. A lot of the DM readers were actually sympathising with her because of the post-natal depression. People getting red-arrowed were the ones suggesting that the mother be locked away etc. (This was also the case of student room news forums)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2502813/New-mother-killed-baby-post-natal-depression-spared-jail.html

This one?
Reply 9

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2502813/New-mother-killed-baby-post-natal-depression-spared-jail.html

Two sympathetic ones in the top comments both from sufferers of post natal depression.

I guess more people have sympathy over it as they are more likely to know someone affected by it than PTSD.

At the same time most daily mail readers are probably sexist bigots who sympathise more with women.

My favourite personal comment - Why show a picture of a mosque?! That has nothing to do with the story!

Uhh that's Hull crown court...
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I feel sorry for him. It might not be his fault. He asked for help and he didn't get it.

True, but if I was so horrifically scarred that I couldn't deal with a crying baby and was driven to insanity by it, I would kill myself before even considering killing a child! I think for that reason im skeptical of being to sympathetic towards him.
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
True, but if I was so horrifically scarred that I couldn't deal with a crying baby and was driven to insanity by it, I would kill myself before even considering killing a child! I think for that reason im skeptical of being to sympathetic towards him.

But the point is if you have mental health problems your mind doesn't work logically. You can't use normal reasoning that way.

I'll just leave that there.
Reply 13
Original post by uktotalgamer

I'll just leave that there.

Well said.
I'm sure feminists are working around the clock to rectify the anti-male bias in society as well as the judiciary.
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)

Do you think this guy made a concious decision to kill the child? I don't.

A crying baby can be incredibly stressful, especially in the middle of the night when you've tried absolutely everything and still the baby will not sleep. I know this, I've been there and luckily I don't have anger issues but I can see how something like this can easily happen when the parent has problems. It only takes a moment of rage and the damage is done. It seems like he's lost the plot a few times and perhaps he should have spoken to someone before he did something he'd regret.

He deserves prison, absolutely and killing his own child will tear him apart for the rest of his life.
RE: the comments made on the PND story, you'll notice that the people saying 'no, it's disgusting what she did' also have green arrows. I would also like to point out if you read this article, he wasn't sentenced to death he was actually sentenced for just six years for killing a child. I do sympathise with him and I hope he gets better.
Also the article itself is very sympathetic!

"He [the judge] told Culverhouse: ‘No one who has understood what happened to you in November 2009 whilst serving as a member of the British Army in Afghanistan can have anything but profound sympathy for the effect which it had upon you.
'Not only will you have to live with the physical symptoms including blindness in your right eye, but it is clear that the trauma of that and of witnessing the death of a number of your fellow soldiers has caused you to suffer from significant psychological damage’.
But the judge said that while Culverhouse, who was medically discharged from the Army last April, had acknowledged that he had problems controlling his temper, by ceasing his therapy he had ‘failed to alleviate that risk’.""

I think the bit in bold might have contributed to the lack of sympathy for him That and the fact the baby was attacked four times and he still failed to seek help. The article also quoted

"'I hope that the prison sentence affords him the chance to reflect on his actions and be truly remorseful for failing to adequately care for his child'"
Yeah, really unsympathetic.

In summary, I can't imagine the pain, psychologically and physically he has gone through, but people are on the whole, are sympathetic toward him...just look at the article, and this thread! But he does need to go to jail. He failed to seek help when he knew he was going through extreme anger management issues, whilst caring for a child.
Reply 17
Same should be for women. But what he did is unforgivable, PTSD or not.
Original post by Foo.mp3

Your inner conflict is palpable, scraping around on the periphery like that serves only as to undermine your credibility

Um...what? I simply presented the facts. There was a reason that people might have felt less sympathy for him. But I feel deep sympathy for him, as do the people writing the article, as do the police involved with the case, as did the judge, as do the majority of people on here. That's not to say he doesn't deserve any jail time. He killed a child, and he had the opportunity to get help. He was getting help, but he quit. So yes, he does need time to think about his actions and recover.

What point exactly are you trying to make about me?
Women with post natal depression should be given more support as it's a real illness.

Original post by Foo.mp3
Your inner conflict is palpable, and scraping around on the periphery like that serves only as to undermine your credibility

Agree.

There was a reason that people might have felt less sympathy for him.

If that was the reason they'd have said in their comment. Some straw clutching going on here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending